• R, 1 hr. 44 min.

100% Hannibal: Season 2
96% Silicon Valley: Season 1

We the Party Reviews

December 2, 2012
Yeah it was super lame. You would think it's kinda gonna be like any of the other dance movies. Nope, just some lame raps and some Disney Channel stars trying desperately to seperate themselves from their former lives, probably a little too hard.
Morgan B.
April 16, 2014
It's not the worst movie. The cast was too much i couldn't keep track. It is like every other high school movie out there nothing new here. The movie does grow on you after a while though.
Vincent D.
September 29, 2013
The problem with this movie is that it didn't know what it wanted to be. At various points it felt like "American Pie" (1999), while at others it felt like "Dangerous Minds" (1995), and yet at times the dialogue felt like I was watching "High School Musical" (2006). Or was this supposed to be a music movie? If so, it didn't work too well. It had a really long rap battle scene, where you couldn't even understand what they were saying. If you want a movie like that, watch "8 Mile" (2002). I really didn't like most of the music in this movie--really it's not my preferred genre, so it's hard for me to judge if it was good or bad. I did like "Truth" by YG--mixing in Canon in D makes everything sound good. I think the movie would've been better if it stuck to a particular style. If they were aiming for cheesy teen movie, than they should've done that. If they were aiming for urban hardship and coming of age, they should've stuck with that. All mixed together, it ended up being mush. The movie deals with a socioeconomically diverse high school, and the teen problems within it. But again, it tried to deal with too much. It felt like there was no centralized plot, it dragged on, and there was often a feeling of "where are we going with this?" I think they should consider making this movie into a television series, that way they can deal with all the different characters and all the different situations one episode at a time.
March 19, 2013
A movie with good intentions that has alot to say about youth. Unfortunately it has too many cheesy elements to recommend. It seems Mario Van Peebles directed this movie as a hipster rather than a serious filmmaker. Grade: C
January 3, 2013
Entertaining movie a lot better then i expected good story that deals with a lot of issues that young teens face today.
November 21, 2012
Wow, I stayed away because the word was bad but now that I've just seen this, I regret my procrastinating. This is a very good and prescient movie the millenial generation.
September 25, 2012
i liked the movie on and off
August 8, 2012
Uninteresting, unrealistic, and stupid. Save yourself the time and skip it.
April 6, 2012
With the raunch of "American Pie" and the heart of an after-school special, the comedy turns out to be a lot less than the sum of its parts.
July 29, 2012
It was a pretty good movie. I am in high school and a lot of that movie is happening at my school and my life. Its pretty accurate and I liked it a lot
July 27, 2012
I really liked this movie. It had everything, humour sad moments, exciting moments and i was always thinking what would they do next? 5 stars this movie was amazing i could say nothing more than that.
July 22, 2012
Fantastic..It's hilarious that "Black" movies on this site are ALWAYS rated low...hmmmm. Rotten tomatoes is TRULY that... ROTTEN
Scott M.
June 13, 2012
At its best, Mario Van Peebles's We the Party feels like the director's overt thesis statement on today's youth culture. The picture is at heart a somewhat generic youthful coming-of-age story that follows several high schoolers as they struggle to determine their place in their portion of the world. It arguably wants to be a defining portrait of a youth embroiled in the connectivity-era, along with a generally upper-middle class Los Angeles living under the first minority president. But the film is actually at its best when its all-but explicitly monologuing what is clearly Van Peebles's thoughts about a whole host of social issues. The film has more educational merit than filmmaking polish. It is clearly an amateur work, with a respected filmmaker working on a shoe-string budget with largely novice actors. Because of what it preaches and what it represents, I wish it were a better overall movie. But for those inclined to sample it, We the Party has enough on its mind to justify its threadbare existence.

Van Peebles stars as a teacher and the father of one of the young leads (played by his own son, Mandela Van Peebles), and the film operates as a rallying cry to a youth who seem certain that they can only achieve 'greatness' through the unlikely means of fame (acting, sports, politics, arbitrary wealth, etc). The platitudes are a bit on-the-nose (Van Peebles opens the film with a thoughtful lecture about how consumerism is fueled by society's dissatisfaction over their lot in life), although their accuracy and wisdom somewhat makes up for their pontificating nature. The rest of the kids are relative novices, although their acting improves a bit as the film goes on (no, I don't know if the film was shot in chronological order) and the various story threads come into focus.

The film is peppered with well-known adult actors who give the film a certain credibility, including a surprisingly intimidating Snoop Dog as rapper YG, nĂ (C) Kennan Jackson's criminally-inclined older brother. Also adding support are Michael Jai White and Tommy Lister. A documentary project by several of the students allows the film to highlight various tales of social woe and/or injustice, which gives the film the majority of its tension and dramatic oomph (along with the second-half conflict that I won't reveal here). It's clear that Van Peebles's heart lies in its moments of introspection and drama, even as his presentation of the more informal socialization feels unquestionably authentic. And it's no small thing for a 55-year old filmmaker to so credibly capture today's youth in a fashion that feels authentic and not the least bit patronizing or strainingly 'hip'.

But in the end, We the Party is a small picture but not one without merit, and one that builds and improves as it goes on. It's not a great film, but it's a good film with worthwhile ideas. It's certainly the very definition of a noble and moral enterprise, with its somewhat heavy-handed focus on education and selfless accomplishment being noteworthy in a time when both once-bedrock values are under siege. Frankly, the film is so overtly good-hearted and moral that I wish Van Peebles had found a way to keep the film's content out of the realm of its R-rating, as it would arguably do most good as an entertainment for younger audiences (keeping the film in PG-13 territory would also limit the film's occasional dips into needless vulgarity). But it's a compelling bit of nourishing entertainment that barely passes muster through its noble intentions and its preaching of a philosophy that I happen to agree with. I can only hope that this small-scale film with its token release will reach more than just the already converted.
April 19, 2012
I thought this was a very thought provoking story... especially for this genre! A lot of fun, and a lot of heart... I wasn't expecting this much depth from this film, but I was pleasantly surprised, which is a rare experience... I had a similar experience at another high school movie "Girl Next Door" years ago... Anyways "We The Party" has a very good message about the various pressures on young people to measure one's self worth by what they have, or can buy, instead of more appropriately, who they are.

Great casting!... a fun mix of fresh talent and familiar faces! The New Boyz, Snoop, Tiny, Salli Richardson-Whitfield... er'body... Just a fun group to watch.

Just to keep it real, I thought the young men's horniness may have been a little over-the-top, to the point of being a bit degrading for men... the portrayal was one, where clearly young men need to think about how much power men give to women. And on the flip the female lead in particular seemed to be very ideal, almost superhuman...very empowered... and in control, a bit too secure... just a bit much for 16/17 year old.

But overall a good, fresh take on a familiar genre!
March 27, 2012
I caught a screening of this at USC. I was pretty excited because I like YG, the New Boyz and Snoop. The music was awesome and the acting was better than I expected. Director/Producer/Writer Mario Van Peebles pushes the idea that smart is the new gangster, and as lame as that sounds, it works here.

I doubt this will win any awards, but the message is solid and it's a fun movie. It's definitely for a younger audience, but for what it is, it's great.

At times the dialogue can be a little preachy and the action predictable, but somehow I was perpetually interested in what was going on. The pressures of high school are something everyone can relate to as is the partying life of a high-schooler...although these folks do it much better than I ever did.

It's not hard to have fun at this movie.
Trevor C.
March 23, 2012
I saw a showing of this at USC. I can't say that it was great or entirely original, but it was far from bad. I cared about the characters, despite the fact that their dialogue was a little unauthentic; despite Mario Van Peebles' desire to create a film that authentically shows the partying life of high school students (based on the partying that his sons, who star in the film, do).

Mario Van Peebles makes lots of good points in his film, and most of these points come from his character - which, after his Q&A at the end of the film, seems to represent him pretty well. He acknowledges that most people in life are interested in having big fancy houses an slick shiny cars, but, in reality, none of that stuff really matters when you should be taking care of yourself with the necessities until you're in a good position (if ever). He discusses how it doesn't matter if someone is smart, if they are lazy with their intelligence they're as good as a dumb person. These are all very good points and points I agree with - and they're all brought up in the film, along with other messages.

The only issue I have with this film is the writing and a certain level of predictability. Sure there were a few surprises, which is more than I can say for other films of this genre, but when it came to relationships and dilemmas pertaining to that nature it was pretty easy to tell what would happen.

The performances from Van Peebles kids (all of whom are also "MVPs" like Mario Van Peebles and Melvin Van Peebles) are fantastic. Even with the awkward dialogue, they have fun with it and contribute to the film in a great way.

I wouldn't necessarily recommend this film, and I would even implore Van Peebles to consider re-editting it due to some choppiness, but it does have it's moments that shine and the messages are no less than important.