The Wedding Banquet (Xi yan) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Wedding Banquet (Xi yan) Reviews

jjnxn
May 4, 2008
Wonderful portrait of what seems like a good idea at the time which spins wildly out of control and changes everyone involved, ultimately for the better even if its not immediately apparent at the time. Beautiful ending.
June 9, 2007
Ang Lee's portrayal of the hot gay love pre-Brokeback. It's sweeter, wittier, and infinitely more Asian. The girl was a bitch.
aliyanto
½ April 3, 2007
No wonder Ang Lee was so capable in making Brokeback Mountain since this is his first & Asian version!
December 21, 2007
Yet another great film from Ang Lee. When it comes to human drama, there are few that can touch him.
June 27, 2011
Good but dated. Ang Lee did a great job directing and the script is strong.
October 30, 2009
The best of Lee's Taiwanese Trilogy!!
September 29, 2007
I only watched about the first 15 minutes, I just couldn't get into it.
March 25, 2006
Funny, funny, funny. Need to rewatch this one day, saw it ages ago.
April 30, 2013
Making a film with gay subject matter is an extremely tricky matter, as most end up being absolute fuck-ups that end up insulting gay people (Or viewers in general who have the misfortune of watching them). I'm quite wary of these types of films myself, especially as a gay guy because of horrible garbage like Ben & Arthur, which can never be unseen and will forever alter the life of the viewer because of its badness. So, imagine my surprise when not only I found a good film with gay subject matter, but found a superb one directed by the great Ang Lee. This is one of his earlier films, but it already showcased a very promising director years before he became an A-list director because of how well written and directed this film of his is. The plot hearkens back to the screwball comedies of the 30's and 40's, but with a more contemporary/controversial twist. A gay Taiwanese immigrant lives with his lover in Manhattan, but his parents (Who still live in Taiwan) don't know that he's gay and constantly try to set him with women until one day he gets sick of it, so he and his boyfriend come up with a plan for a marriage of convenience involving one of his tenants who is an illegal Chinese immigrant. So, he can get his parents off his back, and the tenant can get her green card after this sham of a marriage. But, his parents decide to visit and things get out of hand, turning all their lives upside down in the process. The film not only proves to be a very hilarious comedy, but also surprisingly touching and emotional one as well. It is an effective blend of comedy and drama that never lets the two genres clash with each other. Not only is it an interesting film about gay subject matter, but it also provides a glimpse into Chinese culture and how it reacts to the very different American culture. The Wedding Banquet is a superb dramedy that is sadly overlooked these days even though its themes remain timeless and very relevant to this day.
½ June 20, 2013
I think my copy had some really bad dubbing, or maybe that's just the way it was supposed to sound. Bugged me. If it wasn't dubbed, then holy shit that was some terrible acting at times.
May 11, 2012
This is such an amzing masterpiece by Ang Lee back in his younger novice days as a filmmaker. A Pre-Brokeback period about love, familt and tradition. I love how cross cultural differences and sexual interpretations in modern society and traditional lore collide. I highly recommend to watch this hidden gem of the 90's.
½ February 15, 2012
Ang Lee started his career with a high note. The film has a strong story and interesting characters.
½ February 12, 2012
Good acting. Boring. About a gay guy whose parents want him to get married. Why the fuck did I watch this? Wasted 30 minutes of my life.
½ January 31, 2012
Great movie with well-played characters. Emotion drips from this movie, but laughs are common. I would have rated higher if the the movie didn't glorify deception throughout.
September 28, 2011
Ang Lee did comedy! and he did it so well. Though It reminds me on how much I hate going to a wedding. .
August 31, 2011
I love this movie! You see why I love this movie? Cos it relates to me. Cos I'm also scared to tell my parents I have a white bf XD now if I have a white gf I think my dad will also have another stroke attack.
½ November 2, 2009
Starts out as a sort of saccharine family sitcom type of movie that, almost out of the blue, morphs into more serious fare. The story is that of a gay man being pressured into a woman to a) get the woman a green card and b) stop his parents from forcing him into an arranged marriage. It's definitely a solid movie.
August 20, 2009
Before Brokeback Mountain Ang Lee championed civil rights with The Wedding Banquet. In their sophomore effort director Ang Lee and writer James Schamus tell the story of Gao Wai-Tung, a successful New York business man from Taiwan, who happens to be homosexual. He lives with his partner Simon and rents out a studio to a female painter from China named Wei-Wei who is in need of a green card. Wai-Tung's mother keeps setting him up with matches from a dating service. She goes to the extent of sending a girl to New York to meet him. She let's it slip that his father had a mild stroke and what kept him clutching to the world was the prospect of grandchildren.

This gives Simon the idea to kill two birds with one stone so to speak. Wai-Tung can marry Wei-Wei to give her a green card, and to get his mother off his back. This is put to the test when Wai-Tung's parents demand to come to the wedding, and give the couple a wedding banquet.

The film showcases Ang Lee's trademark flair when it comes to directing emotional and poignant human dramas. It also houses excellent performances from the entire cast, with stand out performances from Sihung Lung as Col. Gao and May Chin as Wei-Wei.

Bottom Line: **** The Wedding Banquet is a superbly crafted film that challenges the notions of love and family and should be seen by all.
March 16, 2009
Skip this movie for the love of all good movies. Bad script badly acted. The concept is
cute but it the movie sucks. :rotten: