—— The Identical Sep 05

The Wedding Banquet (Xi yan) Reviews

jjnxn
jjnxn

May 4, 2008
Wonderful portrait of what seems like a good idea at the time which spins wildly out of control and changes everyone involved, ultimately for the better even if its not immediately apparent at the time. Beautiful ending.
Jennifer X

June 9, 2007
Ang Lee's portrayal of the hot gay love pre-Brokeback. It's sweeter, wittier, and infinitely more Asian. The girl was a bitch.
aliyanto
aliyanto

April 3, 2007
No wonder Ang Lee was so capable in making Brokeback Mountain since this is his first & Asian version!
Sunil J

June 27, 2011
Good but dated. Ang Lee did a great job directing and the script is strong.
Sylvester K

October 30, 2009
The best of Lee's Taiwanese Trilogy!!
Sarah P

September 29, 2007
I only watched about the first 15 minutes, I just couldn't get into it.
Ina S

March 25, 2006
Funny, funny, funny. Need to rewatch this one day, saw it ages ago.
June 20, 2013
I think my copy had some really bad dubbing, or maybe that's just the way it was supposed to sound. Bugged me. If it wasn't dubbed, then holy shit that was some terrible acting at times.
May 11, 2012
This is such an amzing masterpiece by Ang Lee back in his younger novice days as a filmmaker. A Pre-Brokeback period about love, familt and tradition. I love how cross cultural differences and sexual interpretations in modern society and traditional lore collide. I highly recommend to watch this hidden gem of the 90's.
August 31, 2011
I love this movie! You see why I love this movie? Cos it relates to me. Cos I'm also scared to tell my parents I have a white bf XD now if I have a white gf I think my dad will also have another stroke attack.
July 20, 2008
One of the first GLBT movies i bought, on Laserdisc even lol. Just a well done movie, good acting, good chemistry.
dredzag
June 12, 2007
Well before 'Brokeback' Ang Lee made this delightful little movie. It's touching and well worth watching.
July 7, 2007
nice complex study of the many different kinds of human relations. shows how we can love in a limited way until we embrace who the other person truely is.
jtfz
June 22, 2007
Great movie! I loved it when I saw it after it first came out, and still have same opinion after seeing again a few weeks ago.
May 21, 2007
This movie was very funny but at the same time there was great suspension between all these Taiwanese people with strict traditions and stuff... it was fun to watch...
tommowong
January 27, 2007
another early an lee, very funny, and well done, deals a little with old ways clashing with modern times.
January 18, 2007
I saw this on AVN or whatever station that is.. and fell in love with it.. Ordred the DVD the same night.. Great story.. and perfect acting..
January 7, 2007
A excellent comedy about generational and cultural differences. On the surface it may seem like a simple romantic comedy, but the story really explores a lot of issues like the changing values and customs of different generations as well as the homo and heterosexual dynamics. Even though the story takes place in Brooklyn, it is actually a very Chinese film. Many traditional Chinese customs are practiced, which may be confusing to Western viewers.
June 13, 2006
One of those films that leaves you feeling good about life and has humor to it. Ang Lee is a great director and this is one of his most entertaining films.