The Wedding March - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Wedding March Reviews

rubystevens
November 10, 2011
another epic from the mad genius von stroheim, who seems to like to cast himself as a dashing ladies' man. this film comes in at under 2 hours, which surprised me til i learned it was split in two parts, the second called 'the honeymoon'. sadly, the second half has been lost but what remains is the charming tale of a hapsburg prince who loves the ladies, especially a beautiful peasant played by fay wray. however the prince is a wastrel and his aristocratic parents are broke so they give him a choice: marry money or shoot himself! this is on internet archive, with some scenes in early technicolor
½ February 5, 2010
Somehow this made it to #350 on the TSPDT list, despite being really hard to find nowadays. The only version I could get my hands on had Spanish intertitles. I had to make do with my limited knowledge of Spanish. Unfortunately, there were a lot of intertitles, but I think I got the gist of it, even if I missed a couple of the nuances. Like Greed, this film is much shorter than von Stroheim wanted it to be, but in this case I would have liked to see the longer version. It's a blunt melodrama dealing with loveless marriages, but it's done in a way that you don't mind the lack of depth. Some of the scenes are gorgeous, particularly the encounters between Fay Wray and von Stroheim. He uses apple blossoms to great effect, much like the Japanese often use cherry blossoms. I'm not too hot on him casting himself. His creepy appearance suited him perfectly for Foolish Wives but here it doesn't work as well... he often gazes at Wray as if he has rape on his mind. I really wanted to see more of Zasu Pitts as well, she was the most tragic figure of them all in my opinion. I suspect she would have played a much larger role in the second part. I liked this movie a lot more than I thought I would. I was kind of bummed about it at first (some of the early scenes go on way too long) but it grew on me quite a bit.
June 13, 2012
The earlier scenes with Wray and Stroheim are exquisite. The rest, less so.
rubystevens
November 10, 2011
½ June 14, 2010
von Stroheim's skewed ode to true love and to Vienna, both of which come up as losers (for different reasons). Fay Wray is radiant in one of her earlier starring roles.
½ February 5, 2010