West of Zanzibar Reviews

April 8, 2008
A bit slow and overly dramatic but undeniably interesting and atmospheric vehicle for the legendary man of the thousand faces, Lon Chaney. well crafted revenge flick.
August 16, 2011
A remarkably dark, twisted movie, even by contemporary standards. And of course, it has a fantastic performance by Lon Chaney, playing a maniacal, vengeful Colonel Kurtz type who has paralyzed legs and laboriously drags himself around on his arms. "West of Zanzibar" is not as well-known as other Tod Browning films like "Dracula" and "Freaks," but it's just as powerful. I feel it desperately needed a flashier title -- "West of Zanzibar" suggests some dull National Geographic travelogue, not this sick, gripping melodrama. One warning: In a movie about African natives made in the 1920s, embarrassing racist stereotypes are a given.
½ October 5, 2007
Not a word is heard in this silent film, but Lon Chaney is more frightening than any believeable thing I've seen on the screen
July 21, 2007
Lately I have been watching the old horror classics. To look at where are modern horror films are built on. The Chaney /Browning films are fantastic. If you haven?t watched any silent films for a while check it out. I don?t think you will be disappointed. Chaney?s character Dead Legs Flint is awesome and Browning direction is superb. The stories in theses films are unreal or surreal if you like. This is one of my favorites.
November 28, 2013
I couldn't quite bare this film. The portrayal of Africans as savages and cannibals tainted my ability to watch it. It's a shame because Chaney & Barrymore are brilliant. However, in this context it is very hard to watch.
½ November 3, 2013
Lon Chaney's performance is fantastic and Tod Browning knows how to turn a melodrama into great entertainment.
½ October 27, 2012
Lon Chaney's performance is absolutely bone-chilling.
August 16, 2011