The Whales of August - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Whales of August Reviews

September 6, 2010
This stuffy drama will interest anyone who likes movies about the elderly, but other wise, I'd say stay away from it. It's very boring, slow, and by the middle, I didn't care about the story anymore.
September 15, 2015
It's a sweet little movie that allows acting legends Bette Davis, Lillian Gish, and Vincent Price showcase their talents even in their 90's. It's well written and beautifully shot next to the beach. It's short and sweet
March 22, 2015
gr8 last picture for Gish and Vincent Price I love this movie gr8 chemistry between Gish & Davis. also last pic 4 the gr8 ann southern.
October 18, 2012
The Whales Of August is a subdued and quiet film, but it is a beautiful and marvelous film nonetheless. The two leads, Bette Davis and Lillian Gish, are superb in their roles as quarrelling sisters, with one being full of life and the other being filled with resentment about life and waiting for death. It's a film that beautifully illustrates not only the fears and lives of the elderly, but also about how people as a whole differ in opinion about life itself. Now that I think about it, this film isn't a simple story that it pretends to be, but a much deeper film hidden beneath the veil. This film isn't for everyone, as demonstrated by the negative reviews complaining about how boring it is, but I absolutely love it and recommend it to viewers who wish to see an underrated gem that is as touching and memorable as this film. It's a superb film that deserves more attention.
July 28, 2010
If you love dramas with old people sitting around talking about old people stuff, you will love this movie. Unfortunately that isn't my idea of a good time, so I was totally bored with this movie, I didn't even watch the whole thing. I wanted to see Vincent Price, I love him, but his character didn't seem to add much to the story anyway.
½ July 15, 2010
Betty Davis will astound you one last time here in this unusual drama.The problems facing us as we grow old are not so easily brushed away sometimes. This movie brings it to light quite well.
June 21, 2010
I love this movie! I always loved Ann Sothern, and Lillian Gish and Bette Davis, as well as Vincent Price gave great performances - plus Harry Carey Jr - and this was years after Bette Davis had her major stroke on the set of "hotel" - and Lillian Gish was supposedly slightly over or under age 100 when she starred in this -

Quirky movie, great scenes such as Ann Sothern stating
"it was just a little tap, nothing really" and getting teary eyed that they won't let her drive anymore, as she has been driving over 50 years -

Another one I had to buy - and so neat to see Vincent Price in a non-horror roll -
March 29, 2010
I've often been adrift but always stayed afloat

Two elderly sisters reside on the coast of Maine remembering how life was and contemplating how it should be. They spend their days interacting with a local repair man, a fisherman, and an outgoing girlfriend. One of the sisters decides she doesn't want anything to change in their lives while the other sister feels things must change for life to be worth living. Can the two coincide?

"Life can never be too long."

Lindsay Anderson, director of Wish You Were There, Every Day Except Christmas, Foot and Mouth, Henry, and Meet the Pioneers, delivers The Whales of August. The storyline for this picture is interesting and reminded me of Driving Ms. Daisy and Fried Green Tomatoes. The story is sad in a lot of ways but also triumphant in a matter of speaking. The acting was marvelous and the cast included Vincent Price, Bette Davis, Lillian Gish, and Ann Sothern.

"This is Maine and this is my house."

The Whales of August grabbed my attention because it was a Vincent Price picture that I had not seen. I will say that this film was entertaining and it was fun watching the plot unfold; however, this picture provided little originality for the genre. This is an above average drama that is worth viewing once but may not be worth adding to your DVD collection.

"That must be the noisiest man god ever created."

Grade: B-
April 6, 2009
bette davis and lillian gish......isn't that all it matters. watching these 2 legends work together is incredible, especially 2 legends that are very different from each other in their reputations and personalities
October 26, 2007
The names of Lillian Gish, Bette Davis and Vincent Price will never be forgotten by film lovers. The Whales of August, on the other hand, surely will be.
½ May 29, 2007
OK, I liked this movie simply because it has Bette Davis and LIllian Gish together. My weird movie nerdness coming out, I know.
½ February 3, 2007
Lillian Gish and Bette Davis are great, and I've wanted long silver hair like Bette Davis had ever since I saw it.
September 15, 2015
April 4, 2015
considering it's a film about a picture window & there's no whales, it's so serene, calm, like the waves it washes over you & there's some very enjoyable well spoken characters.
March 22, 2015
½ August 12, 2012
Staring three legendary actors from the silent through to the classic era, the story of 2 sisters and their house on the ocean.

This film is a little slow & not a lot happens but the characters are all so interesting even the ladies handyman is great.

It accurately covers the battles of senility & Lillian Gish was a ripe age of 94 years old when she went in production of this film & in my opinion steals the show.

It's a touching, simple & paced in an appropriate manner & I liked but I can see why it hasn't been well received its a little bit too sad for mainstream audiences.
October 18, 2012
½ August 1, 2012
I don't know what to say about this film...