What's Cooking? Reviews

May 2, 2011
Great actors, but not very interesting storyline. A little too stereotypical, a lot too trite and concocted. Entertaining enough to watch to its conclusion, but not a very satisfying movie in the end.
November 13, 2008
Definitely watchable with some great performances (sup Alfre Woodard), but also painfully heavy handed.
June 18, 2010
A cute holiday movie. Wasn't especially memorable but the cast was good and the writing was alright.
July 7, 2008
A nice slice of LA suburban life.
December 16, 2007
Great movie! Love it!
½ August 2, 2013
Although the beginning is rather slow and dull, the movie picks up around the middle, despite some major flaws--no way Kyra Sedgwick looks either Jewish or young enough to be pregnant. the long sections of food being passed around make this seem like a way of pointing out how piggish this holiday is rather than a time to be thankful, and the final disclosure is js a bit contrived. Although billed as a drama and comedy, there was very little comedy. Not the worst movie I've ever seen but certainly not the best by far. I liked New Year's Eve, which was built around a holiday and had many characters' stories far better.
October 27, 2012
must see Thanksgiving Day movie!
½ July 16, 2012
What's cooking is Pure Genius, an outstanding achievement for both Director and actors.
People don't refer to food as Soulful for nothing, Chadha created a masterful film of diversity and realism about what Family really means.
I was blown away by it's raw edges and Noir humor. Most times when people direct films that inter-twine it usually fails to keep consistancy and the audience focused. I was gripped to my seat and completly intuned with each and every story.
February 21, 2010
An episodemovie which is diverting.
I like the transitions of the episodes and the ending.
The movie is also suspenseful.
May 4, 2008
6.5/10. A fine film, very well acted and always interesting. Nicely written. I enjoyed it very much. It had a nice balance of comedy and drama.
October 20, 2006
The food is as great as the performances. I think this film really captures families in general and shows you that not everything can be solved during a movie's running time.