When Nietzsche Wept - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

When Nietzsche Wept Reviews

Billie P.
November 17, 2013
The cinematography is that weird cheap kind that makes the movement of the actors look strange. Nevertheless, Armand Assante plays the heck out of Friedrich Nietzsche and Ben Cross plays what I'd imagine a Josef Breuer would be like. What this movie is, by the way, is a fictionalized account of what would have happened if Breuer, the forerunner to psychoanalysis, and Nietzche met. Even though it never happened, it draws parallels between the goal of psychoanalysis, freeing a patient up to realize what his or her unconscious desires are, and Nietzsche's philosophy, which is something like choosing to live one's life like every day would be repeated, daring to live one's life dangerously and boldly. Not a bad story, and really one of a kind.
October 4, 2008
A period piece that chronicles an important period in Vienna when Psychoanalysis was being invented and Nietzsche was formulating his philosophies. Erudite in the extreme and because of that probably isn't for everyone. Lots of talk and little action. Don't be fooled by the cover. Very little skin on display. It is no wonder that Nietzsche was in despair. His writings do not come from the pen of a man who was in love with life. His loneliness and isolation could not be explained away and ultimately formed the greatest argument against what he espoused.
Blaster1618
½ September 11, 2010
I was really energized by this movie. Waxing philosophical on college days of reading multitudes of well worn copies of several philosophers on in summer on lake Mendota. Warning this movie does not hold up as a strictly period piece or philosophical treaties if your looking for either don't look here. This should be filed more appropriately in the romance/marriage pop self help section. Ben Cross Dr. Breuer hold up this movie himself. Playing a 18th century physician at the top of his game. He's is approached Katheryn Winnick to help Nietzche after she spurned his marriage proposal. As a ruse to keep helping Nietzsche, Dr Breuer asks Nietzsche to help him deal with his own existential crisis. The resolution of Dr Breuer crisis is empty, but the path is very interesting. Katheryn Winnick is cast as Lou Salome a Russian writer. While very enjoyable to see she drops the movie to the level of some 90210 movie. I fully expecting Armand Assante to slip into his standard "Ned Ravine" persona from Fatal instinct, But his red contacts and mustache must have helped him stay the stoic course. Surprising the movie centers more around Br. Breur's existential crisis. Dr. Breuer Friend is Jamie Elman "Ziggy" Freud. On a level, I choose to ignore, this movie tries to be a "Connections" where several great minds cross paths and change history. It doesn't work, James Burke does it better. I really wanted to read this book when I first saw it in the Mid 80's, but never had the time. I read several other reviews before I wrote one, they basically fell into two categories: The movies not as good as the book. I hope your imaginations is better than a 2 dimensional 104 minute representation on a budget. Nietzsche is evil Yes he is. Don't watch this and keep chewing on your Cud.
October 29, 2008
armand assante does what he can best, but the story is uneven and the drama doesn't play out to the audience's expectations. a fair effort but really hard to live up to the hype of the book.
½ December 20, 2010
Really good. It was a delightful movie for several reasons: acting, costume, music, humorous scenes.
½ June 7, 2010
Beautifully shot and well acted. Who cares about the book. This film is a stand alone masterpiece of its own work in time. Not only does it have a history lesson, but it helps understand ourselves as metaphysical beings through philosophy and psychology.
May 18, 2010
Awful adaptation to such a brilliant novel. It makes it appear like it's fluff when it's not. The novel has such a dark quality to it with it's complexities about obsession to the point of madness. It just doesn't capture the spirit of that intricate plot device at all. If it weren't so cheesed up, it could have been so much better. It felt like such a lifetime movie. I only gave it 2 stars for Assante, who unfortunately was the only one who deserves credit for his acting. Just skip this and read the novel instead. It's truly great. Trust me on this.
½ August 12, 2009
This was a remarkable movie. It introduced me to the man behand Nietzche's philosophy and the nascent world of pyschoanalysis.
½ December 27, 2008
I'm frankly stunned that there isn't a single review on this exceptional film! It is a tour de force depicting existential philosophy morphing into psychoanalysis. The acting is brilliant, the script is smart, the photography is crisp and inventive. It's a brilliant period piece depicting the basic human search for meaning and relevance. Despite its message, it never stoops to bringing a 2x4 up side the head. Subtle, sophisticated and provacative; if you appreciate historical period pieces, this is a good watch!
December 24, 2008
Not only explains how Dr. Breuer helped to evolve psychoanalysis with his "talking cure" approach to healing his patients' physical issues it shows how it took an anti-social philosophy genius (Nietzsche) to move beyond the boundaries of the "known" and influence a young Freud in his own development.
½ July 14, 2008
I really wanted to like this movie, but I thought it fell short. It was dull and drab, despite Armand Assante's excellent acting. Direction and Cinematography are the culprits in this shameful desecration of a great script.
May 24, 2008
I work in a video store. All my coworkers had a hearty laugh at the title alone. We wondered... was Nietzsche an emo kid?! So I had to find out. Yes, but he apparently made other people emo kids too. Awesome! I don't know anything about the book... but I thought the movie wasn't all that great. The dream sequences... the acting all mediocre.
February 24, 2008
Nietzsche, the "God is dead" philosopher, is helped by Breuer (one of the founders of psychoanalysis). Actually they help each other. Toss in Freud, a buddy of Breuer's. I don't know how much of this movie is fact and how much is "story". I really don't care. One reviewer said the accents in the movie are bad. If that bothers you, prepare. I thought it was a cleverly done and very interesting movie. Surprised there are NO other viewers in Flixter. Join the crowd. Maybe you'll like it.
½ November 28, 2007
Pretty and well produced, but I found it relentlessly boring. The acting is fine, and Armande Assante is quite good, but the film seemed endless and I was never drawn into the characters.
½ November 7, 2015
Good movie worth a watch
September 6, 2015
interessante, mas foge do sensacional!
½ August 7, 2015
Beautiful locations, costuming, and people were not enough to save this low budget pseudo-intellectual sham.
½ April 20, 2012
Katheryn Winnick gives a lousy performance and the overall result feels like an average film student's effort
August 31, 2014