19% Transcendence Apr 18

—— Unforgettable: Season 3

When Nietzsche Wept Reviews

Mark A

October 4, 2008
A period piece that chronicles an important period in Vienna when Psychoanalysis was being invented and Nietzsche was formulating his philosophies. Erudite in the extreme and because of that probably isn't for everyone. Lots of talk and little action. Don't be fooled by the cover. Very little skin on display. It is no wonder that Nietzsche was in despair. His writings do not come from the pen of a man who was in love with life. His loneliness and isolation could not be explained away and ultimately formed the greatest argument against what he espoused.

September 11, 2010
I was really energized by this movie. Waxing philosophical on college days of reading multitudes of well worn copies of several philosophers on in summer on lake Mendota. Warning this movie does not hold up as a strictly period piece or philosophical treaties if your looking for either don't look here. This should be filed more appropriately in the romance/marriage pop self help section. Ben Cross Dr. Breuer hold up this movie himself. Playing a 18th century physician at the top of his game. He's is approached Katheryn Winnick to help Nietzche after she spurned his marriage proposal. As a ruse to keep helping Nietzsche, Dr Breuer asks Nietzsche to help him deal with his own existential crisis. The resolution of Dr Breuer crisis is empty, but the path is very interesting. Katheryn Winnick is cast as Lou Salome a Russian writer. While very enjoyable to see she drops the movie to the level of some 90210 movie. I fully expecting Armand Assante to slip into his standard "Ned Ravine" persona from Fatal instinct, But his red contacts and mustache must have helped him stay the stoic course. Surprising the movie centers more around Br. Breur's existential crisis. Dr. Breuer Friend is Jamie Elman "Ziggy" Freud. On a level, I choose to ignore, this movie tries to be a "Connections" where several great minds cross paths and change history. It doesn't work, James Burke does it better. I really wanted to read this book when I first saw it in the Mid 80's, but never had the time. I read several other reviews before I wrote one, they basically fell into two categories: The movies not as good as the book. I hope your imaginations is better than a 2 dimensional 104 minute representation on a budget. Nietzsche is evil Yes he is. Don't watch this and keep chewing on your Cud.
Anastasia B

October 29, 2008
armand assante does what he can best, but the story is uneven and the drama doesn't play out to the audience's expectations. a fair effort but really hard to live up to the hype of the book.
pishpishposh
May 18, 2010
Awful adaptation to such a brilliant novel. It makes it appear like it's fluff when it's not. The novel has such a dark quality to it with it's complexities about obsession to the point of madness. It just doesn't capture the spirit of that intricate plot device at all. If it weren't so cheesed up, it could have been so much better. It felt like such a lifetime movie. I only gave it 2 stars for Assante, who unfortunately was the only one who deserves credit for his acting. Just skip this and read the novel instead. It's truly great. Trust me on this.
ehenry71
August 12, 2009
This was a remarkable movie. It introduced me to the man behand Nietzche's philosophy and the nascent world of pyschoanalysis.
gms1yygy
February 24, 2008
Nietzsche, the "God is dead" philosopher, is helped by Breuer (one of the founders of psychoanalysis). Actually they help each other. Toss in Freud, a buddy of Breuer's. I don't know how much of this movie is fact and how much is "story". I really don't care. One reviewer said the accents in the movie are bad. If that bothers you, prepare. I thought it was a cleverly done and very interesting movie. Surprised there are NO other viewers in Flixter. Join the crowd. Maybe you'll like it.
Billie P.
November 17, 2013
The cinematography is that weird cheap kind that makes the movement of the actors look strange. Nevertheless, Armand Assante plays the heck out of Friedrich Nietzsche and Ben Cross plays what I'd imagine a Josef Breuer would be like. What this movie is, by the way, is a fictionalized account of what would have happened if Breuer, the forerunner to psychoanalysis, and Nietzche met. Even though it never happened, it draws parallels between the goal of psychoanalysis, freeing a patient up to realize what his or her unconscious desires are, and Nietzsche's philosophy, which is something like choosing to live one's life like every day would be repeated, daring to live one's life dangerously and boldly. Not a bad story, and really one of a kind.
May 21, 2013
A masterful piece which ties the lives of four important historical figures whose work forever changed the way we analyze/perceive life, in a virtual plot that in many ways stays true to all their individual work. Simply a masterpiece but not for the common Hollywood happy audience. Your appreciation for this movie directly depends on your knowledge and familiarity with these characters' work in real life.
March 6, 2008
Great cast, weak story. Mostly entertaining.
April 20, 2012
Katheryn Winnick gives a lousy performance and the overall result feels like an average film student's effort
February 15, 2012
Très bon film pour les amateurs de philosophie et étudiants
December 30, 2011
Irving Yallom's historical piece of fiction translated beautifully in this film.
ray
August 22, 2011
I only wanted to see it because I read the book and I liked it - not as much as Yalom's more recent Schopenhauer Cure - but I was definitely eager to see how they put it on screen.

And I was disappointed. The first thing were the stupid accents - so annoying I switched to German after three minutes, unfortunately the German dubbing was even worse.

The whole film is a mess: wooden acting, poor cinematography and editing (some of the weirdest and most distracting cuts I've ever seen) and incredibly historical inaccuracy (OK, the whole plot is fictional but the book at least depicts the environment and the city of Vienna quite precise). They don't even got the vast mustache of Nietzsche right!!

When Nietzsche Wept is a pathetic and cheap looking production with almost none artistical aspiration. There are so many great films, don't waste your time with this one. Read the book.
August 15, 2011
A great sampling of Nietzsche's genius through theatrical interpretation and cinematography. However, this depiction is to be a supplement only, not sustenance.

"That life is really so tragic would least of all explain the origin of an art formâ"assuming that art is not merely imitation of the reality ..."

Friedrich Nietzsche

September 11, 2010
Brett F.
June 7, 2010
Beautifully shot and well acted. Who cares about the book. This film is a stand alone masterpiece of its own work in time. Not only does it have a history lesson, but it helps understand ourselves as metaphysical beings through philosophy and psychology.
ALAN D A.
January 15, 2010
Read the book. Too much "acting" going on here and the fantasy sequences are a mistake.
Juan Gabriel A.
September 12, 2009
I coudn't wach at the screen after 5 minutes. The actors are horrible, and it just tries to sell a pseudo romantic story packed with pseudo philosophy and taken out of context quotes from Nietzche. If you like Nietsche and you like the Yalom Novel, don't watch this. It just hurts.
John D.
April 15, 2009
Although the title specifies there's weeping involved, the ending was a little too emotional for Nietzsche.