—— The Identical Sep 05

—— Unforgettable: Season 2

Whirlpool Reviews

AJ V

September 5, 2010
Tierney plays a woman who has kleptomania, and doesn't want her husband to find out. It's very thrilling, I liked it.
Michael G

November 22, 2006
Not so great. Relies heavily on psychology practices from over half a century ago which ultimately dates it.
February 10, 2013
Jose Ferrer is excellent in this, but the story plays out in a very uninteresting way. Like most Preminger films I've seen, I like the look of it and the premise, but it plays a bit too slow and everyone seems a bit detached from any real emotion--Ferrer excepted.
February 2, 2012
Ann Sutton (Tierney) is a gorgeous socialite married to an extremely successful psychoanalyst (Conte). After shoplifting a pin due to her kleptomania, she's soon rescued by a mysterious hypnotist, who insists he begin treating her. Unknown to Ann, the man is actually more interested in having her do some illegal favors for him-- which goes great-- until she ends up getting caught in a murder rap. Though he's guilty, she's the prime suspect. Though I thought "Whirlpool" was decent, it is by far my least favorite of the long list of Gene Tierney-Otto Preminger noirs. Psychology was a very big topic back in the '40's-- nobody understood it, and it ended up being on the most money making "genres" back in the '40's. What I did like about "Whirlpool", is that it's so different from the others. Most were other movies of mentally disturbed patients, usually with actresses bent on imitating Olivia de Havilland's grand performance in "The Snake Pit". But this is a different movie. Instead, we have a murderous psychoanalyst, which had not happened yet, and still, the "genre" had still not crossed paths with film noir. With all faults aside, this is almost a groundbreaking movie, in a sense that at the time it was something so new. Forget Tierney's ugly wardrobe, Conte's miscast, and some of the camp, and you'll be seeing an entertaining, sharply directed and written noir that even has great performances to boot. "Whirpool" has many flaws, but it's still worth your time.