White Nights Reviews

½ October 11, 2006
Great drama-thriller film. Mikhail Baryshnikov and Gregory Hines were fantastic on their dance sequences.
½ July 20, 2007
This ended up being a pretty decent movie,nothing oscar worthy, but nobody can dance like they do,its brilliance.
The story is pretty decent and interesting
½ July 12, 2006
This movie has a fun really entertaining scenes (the duo dance scene was absolutely marvelous) but overall, it doesn't know what it wants to be - a thriller, a political drama, an inspirational dance movie... It jumps all over the place and doesn't ever really land anywhere for long.
March 31, 2009
A rather interesting twist on what I was expecting from the storyline but it degenerated into a link of robotic scenes set to a hodgepodge of music and finally ended just plain weakly.
June 14, 2008
gregory hines is so incredible, such energy, what a performance. barysnikov is equally amazing, great screenplay and story line.
January 29, 2008
This is the most emotional, deeply moving, passionate movie I have ever seen to date. Don't watch it on a day when you're feeling down--it's also a bit dark and heavy.
January 13, 2008
Wonderful movie. One of my favorite actors Gregory Hines. What a loss for the entertainment world.
½ January 6, 2008
I watched this one a looong time ago! But it is a delight to see these two great dancers in action. Of course, this movie's about the evils of Communist Russia in the time of the Cold War. The character Mikhail Baryshkov plays- a Russian ballet dancer that reached world fame after escaping the Soviet Union. Unfortunately, his plane was about to crash into Soviet territory. He tried to burn his passport before the crash but.....you gotta see for yourselves, Folks!
September 8, 2007
This was a mediocre film but I always liked to watch Gregory Hines dance and that Baryshinikov guy's not too bad either...hehe
August 25, 2007
The Dream Team of performance art genre dance movies. Worth watching if you're a fan of it but don't expect Kubrick. Take away the dancing and this is just a crappy politico movie.
June 13, 2007
the master of ballet, Mikhail Baryshnikov and one of the late great tap masters, Gregory Hines; mesh these two forms of dance together beautifully, it gives me chills seeing them dance together!
May 8, 2007
This movie is great from the plot to the dancing to the suspence. This movie should get more attention.
½ March 17, 2007
good story, good acting, good characters..... love the ballet and tap dancing mix. I watched this till i wore my tape out! I find it very stimulating.
February 22, 2007
This is by far my favorite movie of all. This is deffinetly a great movie to watch. Love Gregory Hines!
January 24, 2007
Loved this film! The dancing is just AMAZING...but then it's Baryshnikov so how could it not be?!? ^_^
½ May 27, 2013
The plot of White Nights is well-planned, the script neatly written and two relatively unknown actors as the lead men - Mikhail Baryshnikov and Gregory Hines - carry this feature well. The end result is a touching, funny drama with a romantic edge. Helen Mirren is stunning!
December 4, 2012
Yes this seems a contrived vehicle for Baryshnikov, but has so many wonderful actors/actresses that it doesn't matter. Worth seeing just for the soundtrack and the incredible dancing. I loved the opening skit! When the actual ending came, I wasn't as disappointed as I thought I'd be.
November 5, 2012
White Nights is an interesting dance flick, different from many other dance films that contains many implications and understatements.
June 29, 2012
Friday, June 29, 2012

(1985) White Nights

The kind of movie that is adapted around it's two central characters of Mikhail Baryshnikov as Nicolai and Gregory Hines as Raymond similar to action films which involves a planned escape out of Stalin- like controlled Russia. Nicolai is a famous ballet dancer and somehow becomes trapped while flying over Russia, because he's a renown ballet dancer and is during the Cold War, the gov't somehow controls where to dance, and while there meets tap dancer Raymond who has his own problems but agrees to help and aid for an escape.

Almost like a semi-autobiography of actual ballet dancer Mikhail Baryshnikov which the dancing can be graceful and emotionally felt upon watching it, and seeing Gregory Hines was a treat- one of his more memorable roles as a down and out tapper. Watching some of the dancing sequences coincide with politics in harsh communism Russia was somewhat of a learning experience. "Say you Say Me" was a hit song for Lionel Ritchie.

3 out of 4
September 6, 2012
It obviously sounded like a great idea to someone, getting two of the best contemporary dancers together in one film. Their styles are different, but no one would argue that Gregory Hines and Mikail Baryshnikov are amazing at what they do. Unfortunately, "White Nights" is the film that brings them together, and while it is immensely watchable, it is also terribly silly and contrived.

I was hooked right from the beginning with an airline disaster returning Baryshnikov to Russia, but the story becomes more of a soap opera the longer it goes on. And much like soap operas, it's quite entertaining but this project should have been a lot more compelling. It's rather difficult to get over the basic premise; that a defected Russian dancer is forced to room with a defected American dancer, but I could accept that and get on with the rest of the film. The problem is that the rest of it is only marginally easier to swallow that that impractical set-up.

The two stars are surprisingly believable in their roles, strong enough in fact to carry the entire picture quite effortlessly. They naturally shine, however, in the dance umbers that are peppered into this preposterous Cold War plot. Watching them move is hypnotizing, and it's enough to forgive the weak plot that forces them unnaturally together. There's little other reason to see this.

The two women in the film, Helen Mirren and Isabella Rossellini, are merely there to react to things going on around them, and film director Jerzy Skolimowski is hilariously absurd as the Russian Colonel. "White Nights" is a fairly entertaining throwback to a bygone era in film, but it should have been so much more than that.