White Lightnin' - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

White Lightnin' Reviews

January 18, 2011
By far the best crazy,tap dancing,hillbilly drug movie of all time. Crazy independent movie that my brother told me to watch. Not for everyone,but I liked it.
January 10, 2011
Very strange, completely psychotic man. Very strange, completely psychotic movie.
January 9, 2014
The early years entertaining,the middle years amussing and the last years bewildering....the end was unsatisfying
½ August 29, 2013
A demonic tragedy that is shot differently but mostly sloppily. Begins better then it ends and derails far from the true story.
May 21, 2012
The movie was disturbing, enough to keep you with the nightlight on, but that doesn't excuse it for being poorly-structured and derivative, at times unfocused from it's material.
June 28, 2012
I would have to say this is one of the best movies I've seen in a very very long time and not because he's related, because he is very convincing at being absolutely bats**t crazy. The sound track was equally disturbing and I hope to see more of Ed Hogg. Wow...........
January 12, 2012
If you watch the Whites of W. Virginia, this dramatic take on the Jesco begs the question if the truth is something crazy in between.
November 21, 2011
See the "Wounderful White of West Virginia" first since this fills you in on a little of the history of the Notourious family. A great gem that I never have heard of. On netflix streaming now.
½ December 11, 2009
There's a crazy-dirty energy to White Lightnin' that's rarely seen in films, a raw beauty and awfulness that's both scary and exciting.
December 21, 2010
Based on the life of Jesco White this movie was acted impeccably. It had a raw grit to it thats hard for films to capture. It was present in just about every scene. The music was the icing on the cake to make this 100%.
April 15, 2010
If you enjoyed the movie, "The Butcher Boy" (which is one of my favorites), you will enjoy this film. I'm glad a random sick day allowed me time to see this movie. :)
½ April 11, 2010
Based on the legend Jesco White, "the dancing outlaw". As a boy Jesco was in and out of reform school and the insane asylum. To keep him out of trouble, his daddy D-Ray taught him the art of mountain dancing. After his father's death, crazy Jesco dons his father's tap shoes and takes his show on the road.A breathe of fresh air. With all the hype of Hollywood, Edward Hogg and yes, Carrie Fisher, bring us a taste of Rednecks, White sox & Blue Ribbon beer. A comedy if it were not such a tragic tale. This is America.
½ May 8, 2014
Although well-filmed with some beautiful black and white scenes, the question here is why? Why would someone who so ruined his life be glorified in a film like this? The dancing was interesting and the main reason I watched this film. I could see the connection between this form and Irish step dancing, such as Lord of the Dance, or even James Cagney's style in Yankee Doodle Dandy. But the rest of the film made Appalachia seem the haunt of just poverty (which is true} and horrendous drug use and violence (which I'm sure is not the whole story). I'm sure Jesco White's story is not unique, but I wonder if it is the rule, either. From the people we see in this film, Appalachia is a place one would want to stay as far away from as the worst slums of New York City or L.A. Between this film and Deliverance, I think native Appalachians should lobby Hollywood to give them better image.
January 9, 2014
½ August 29, 2013
February 2, 2013
Crazy acid trip of a movie. Its more of a horrific nightmare than anything. Insane!
½ November 25, 2012
How the hell did I miss this and find it for the first time surfing NETFLIX? great movie based on the DANCIN' OUTLAW : JESCO WHITE... took a VERY dark approach and was a great watch, VERY COOL soundtrack with a lot of HASIL ATKINS ,,,, the guy that played Jesco really reminded me of a young Bruce Campbell as well, cant recommend this enough, It would be in your best interest to seek out THE DANCIN' OUTLAW first though and learn about Jesco first though ...
May 21, 2012
August 30, 2012
I probably would have liked this film more had it not been in any way related to The Dancing Outlaw. The very few actual biographical details taken from Jesco White's life are completely gratuitous to the story being told. It could have been anyone. However, the film itself is beautifully put together and very well-acted even if it is pure exploitation.
August 25, 2012
Great performance by Hogg. Shot well. Good all around.