Who Is Cletis Tout? - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Who Is Cletis Tout? Reviews

½ May 5, 2011
Mildly entertaining. Storyline was only ok, but presented in a unique narrative style. Ru Paul's character was unnecesary, and distracting. Doesn't work on every level, but not too bad. Passed away an afternoon for me...
jim222001us
April 5, 2010
Christian Slater stars as a crook who gets a new identity after breaking out of prison. He's given the name Cletis Tout, which turns out to be the name of someone the mob wants dead. While Slater is looking for a box of diamonds that his friend (Ricard Dreyfuss) in prison hid when he was younger, he gets help from Dreyfuss' daughter (Portia de Rossi).

The movie wants to be a smart Get Shorty type of mob comedy, but it never reaches that level. The only reason to watch this movie is for the performances. Believe it or not, but Tim Allen steals the show as a movie loving hit-man. Tim Allen shows here and Redbelt that he's wasted in the crappy family comedies that he usually makes. The guy can actually act and can handle more serious roles. Although, I wouldn't mind seeing him as "Tim the Tool Man Taylor" one more time lol.
July 3, 2013
This started off strong, but I completely lost interest in it after about half an hour. It doesn't seem like there's much point, if any, and with the possible exception of Tim Allen, none of the acting is memorable. I heard about this movie for a long time and looked forward to seeing it, but I was pretty disappointed.
½ January 22, 2013
Rippingly fun film. Christian Slater and Tim Allen particularly shine. Not a dark film by any means.
½ February 1, 2012
Niot a blockbuster comedy but I still liked it. Funny and there clown/bank thing was pretty clever. I watched this mainly for Tim Allen but it wasn't a usual role for him. Still, it won't bore you though.
February 25, 2009
This movie is really good in that it takes people and puts them in roles they are not envisioned to EVER play. Tim Allen is an AWESOME hitman! The plot seems simple at first but becomes more complex as the story goes. Great caper fun.
½ January 12, 2009
A fairly average sort of heist movie. Kind of relies on flashbacks too much (it even hangs a lantern on the fact, which is, of course, always a giant cop-out)...but there are some genuinely funny bits. I LOVE the joke of when the cop says to Christian Slater something like, "You remind me of Jack Nicholson. Do you ever get that?" And then Slater says, "Really?" But it's not like a, "really, you think so?", but more like a, "really, you're going to put that joke in this movie? is this the path my career has taken?" and it's hilarious. I was sad when they canceled his new show My Own Worst Enemy (NBC has way worse crap they should have shoved off their lineup). Oh, and Portia continues to look amazing & plays a fairy simple semi-comedic role...Ellen's a lucky gal...I imagine if they could make babies they would take over the world (& force acceptance to everyone along the way)...lol...Overall a really solid cast, really...Billy Connolly is always good...& even Tim Allen isn't bad in it.
August 24, 2008
mediocre at best. Tim Allen's the best thing in the whole film playing a hitman who loves old movies.
June 22, 2007
Not bad, had some moments of witty dialogue and funny situations, but I felt the plot was trying too hard to be clever, "hip", and "cool", making it all feel strained. It was interesting to see Tim Allen in a "villainous" role (if you want to call it that) but to be honest he probably wasn't the perfect choice for it. Still, entertaining overall.
½ November 8, 2007
Rather bland and unexciting, it lacks punch and solid direction. The cast tries and does pretty well. I liked the score. The quotes from old movies in the dialogue adds some pep, but otherwise it's a dud.
½ September 24, 2007
You never hear about this movie, but it was good. I always like Tim Allen movies and who doesn't like Christian Slater!
½ July 8, 2007
A twisty comical crime film that slipped through the cracks. Fans of Christian Slater shouldn't miss this.
½ May 29, 2007
½ April 20, 2007
With a cast of Richard Dreyfuss , Christian Slater , Tim Allen and RuPaul , You would think you might get a laugh from it. The only laugh it gave me was how fucking retarded the story was. And how I payed 7 bucks for this crap!
½ October 6, 2004
I heard a lot of good things about the movie and I wanted to see Tim Allen as a hitman. I think he did a great job w/it and I really liked his character's peculiarities...it was a nice touch. Overall, the movie was good, but it took me awhile to get through it. I felt as though it started off kind of slow, but it did finally pick up after the jail break.
July 3, 2013
½ January 22, 2013
½ August 12, 2012
This was pretty good. The story was interesting. I liked Tim Allen as the "bad" guy.
½ March 9, 2012
I don't get why critics hated this film. It is quirky, and is not really a crime genre movie as described above. It is an odd little comedy about mistaken identity and love. It has weird-but-funny characters throughout. The characters are all extremely flawed, but even the criminals have some little something in their character to redeem them enough to make you like them. The dumb and inept hit-men who try to better themselves through "intelligent" discourse, the heavy hitter with a heart, the messed up dad trying to steal a life for his daughter, the accomplice along for the ride, but loyal- who falls for the thief's daughter. And the daughter, broken from having her only parent taken away, but finally finding value in a new relationship she can trust.
It is not the best movie you will ever see, but if you like odd-ball characters, it is worth the viewing.