Who's Harry Crumb? - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Who's Harry Crumb? Reviews

January 19, 2008
Bit of 80's stupidity. Sometimes that's just the thing...
July 14, 2011
The ever lovable John Candy manages to make you smile throughout this film despite it being somewhat childish with some pretty lame predictable visual gags. A simple plot involving an inept private eye trying to uncover a kidnapping and inadvertently succeeding through his own blundering, a slight copy of 'The Pink Panther' methinks but its a fun little farce giving Candy the oppertunity to try many character disguises....think 'Fletch'.

Its all very silly yet likeable as Candy uses his girth in all manner of ways to make you chuckle, classic 80's actor Jeff Jones is the perfect dastardly foil to Candy with Tim Thomerson in an unusual role as a slightly useless badguy henchman.
Overall you are lead through a nice array of amusing sequences which are fun, I won't lie and say they are great and hilarious simply because Candy is the star ergo they must be great as that isn't the case, if this film had been made today it would probably be long forgotten very very quickly but that also does testify to the skill and charm of Candy.

Not his best film but its up there in the top five.
½ May 27, 2011
Who's Harry Crumb? Well, it's a fun guy, but you really don't want see him. You know what i meen?
September 6, 2010
One of Candy's funniest performances for me. Plus, the rest of the cast is perfect. The story is a bit predictable, but it's highly enjoyable, and I recommend this movie.
½ September 10, 2009
In "Who's Harry Crumb?" John Candy stars as a clueless detective who's searching for a woman who has reportedly been kidnapped. However, everybody soon notices that Mr. Crumb acts like a complete idiot and doesn't seem to know anything about what he's supposed to be doing. It seems for sure that there's no possible way that Mr. Crumb will be able to find the woman that he's looking for.
"Who's Harry Crumb?" is hilarious at times, but it's not one of John Candy's best movies. It's no "Great Outdoors" or "Planes, Trains, and Automobiles," but it's still funny. I recommend anybody who likes comedy movies and especially John Candy comedies to get "Who's Harry Crumb?" NOTE: That was my Amazon review from the year 2001. Actually, this or his final movie was the worst of Candy's movies. Most of his are classics.
deano
December 11, 2006
Unfunny comedy with John Candy as a bungling private detective is jack of all disguise, master of none.
½ January 16, 2013
One of John Candy's best films, Who's Harry Crumb? is a classic '80s comedy that's outrageously hilarious and tons of fun. Candy stars as Harry Crumb, a bumbling private detective, who's hired to solve the kidnapping of famed model Jennifer Downing. The supporting cast includes Shawnee Smith, Annie Potts, and Jeffrey Jones, who all deliver great performances; especially Smith, who has good chemistry with Candy playing his aspiring assistant. And while the film is mired in tropes, John Candy's charisma elevates the material. Who's Harry Crumb? is an irresistible comedy and a smart satire of the detective genre.
Naughtia
May 14, 2010
I saw this movie a long time ago and I thought it was hilarious. Being a huge John Candy fan I love most of his movies and this is one of the good underappreciated ones. I would definetely recommend this movie to all John Candy fans.
iLeo
December 25, 2007
Very funny!
November 6, 2014
lol Nice to get a free 5$ credit with pizza from Vudu....I picked this one out of the 5 dollars movie to own cause FUCK the Karate Kid Zzzzzzzz lol......
½ October 21, 2012
This is a perfect fit for the lovable John Candy. He plays a cheerful underdog detective who cannot seem to do anything right but somehow stubbles his way into a good outcome mostly by luck. For the most part it is a lightly funny movie with Candy being clumsy, going under cover as ridiculous characters and being a likable dork. The biggest drawback is that there times it becomes inconsistent with animated or cartoonish sequences that seem to come from out of nowhere. There are also times where this movie reaches for a laugh and comes up empty but there are plenty of laughs and smiles to be had. The kidnapping mystery plot is the right amount of structure for a comedy like this and it ties together facilitates several good scenes like a good comedy plot should. Jeffrey Jones is also a great pick for Candy's contrasting straight man. Without John Candy this movie could have easily turned out to be a dud but it is because of him it turns out to be a likable and nutty 80's comedy.
½ May 27, 2012
Candy is likable in this uninspired mystery story. He makes it watchable, though it's far from high art.
April 8, 2012
I love these types of comedies quite a bit, but this movie is pretty awful. Unfortunately it is not awful as in good, or it's the type of awful that makes the comedy even better. This movie quite flat and quite disappointing given John Candy is the lead. The plot in this movie is quite predicable, the jokes are quite forced and pretty predictable, and the physical comedic elements are a swing and a miss.
April 3, 2012
Not an Oscar winner by a longshot but still one of my favorite movies. Has some classically stupid lines!
February 25, 2012
I just love this movie I discovered Shawnee Smith because of it , 1 of my fav actresses Just adore her John is hilarious as crumb Plus the Auburn Speedster is beautiful
½ December 16, 2011
Look, I like silly humor. But this was a bit much.
Harry Crumb, a clumsy and stupid detective, is hired to solve the murder of model Jennifer Downing. The Downing family is terrified, but Crumb makes thing even worse by doing clumsy actions. He also finds out that the mother of the family is a cheater and a dirty person. With the work of Jennifer's sister, Nikki, he tries to solve the unexpected ending.
Umm, this was a bit much. Don't get me wrong, John Candy is very, very funny. But he was just not that good in this. I wondered where the "Uncle Buck" or "Planes, Trains, and Automobiles" type of Candy was, but not here. The plot is kinda good, but obvious that the mother is a vicious person, as well as Crumb's boss, Elliott. But the one thing I CAN NOT stand is Candy's disguise as an Indian air conditioning salesman. Very annoying.
As you can see, the movie isn't that great. Only part I somewhat liked is when Crumb is on a ceiling fan going faster and faster.
Oh, and by the way, this isn't for the kids. Numerous cussing and a bit of sexual scenes. Didn't like this one at all.
June 30, 2011
I don't think I can convey just how much I love this film. Simply watching the trailer makes me laugh to no end. I love John Candy and pretty much everything he did. The best parts of this film for me are when Candy is in disguise. I also absolutely love how much of an 'idiot' he is, yet still manages to come out on top. It's a real shame he didn't get to do more work but at least he left a great catalog of films for many to enjoy for years to come.
½ May 5, 2007
Thank you Mr. Candy, we barely knew you. Just who is Harry Crumb? A hoot for Candy fans, find out as a detective agency who bears his family name barely remembers its founders. Harry is the last of a long line of family heirs to the business, but is only remotely thought of by the head of this dubious enterprise. Barely thought of until the head wants to blackmail for 10 million ransom the daughter of the owner.

This film is tedious at times and mostly slapstick. But John Candy saves this film from utter mediocrity and pure stupid. Oh yes, don't have the kids watch this one with you, it has too much graphic visual adult humour.
½ May 19, 2010
A fun comedy from John Candy. I wouldn't call it hilarious, but it was certainly charming and worth watching.