—— The Identical Sep 05

78% Ray Donovan: Season 2
46% Reckless: Season 1
87% The Strain: Season 1
—— Unforgettable: Season 2

The Widow of Saint-Pierre (The Widow of St. Pierre) (La veuve de Saint-Pierre) Reviews

flixsterman
flixsterman

January 10, 2009
An affirmation of the complexity of women. Here, a guard captain's wife campaigns for the life of a condemned man, knowing that her actions threaten her husband's career and possibly endanger his life. Perplexing behavior indeed but director Patrice Leconte uses it to full effect, adding humanistic elements to what otherwise could have been a listless period piece. An intelligent, insightful film.
Lafe F

June 9, 2007
Such a sad and hopeless movie. People weren't very nice back in 1849! Hopefully the Widow can find a love in her life again. I was dissapointed Louis didn't live very long.
Mark A

June 1, 2009
A dark, passionate tale of a woman who sets out to redeem a convicted murderer. She succeeds, but at what cost to herself, to the convict himself, and to the colony of St. Pierre? Juliette Binoche is, as usual, radiantly beautiful, compassionate, and firey as the Madame La. Daniel Autiuel plays her husband, La Capitain, as a principled man who throws caution to the wind because of his love for her. A bleak, cold landscape, properly pompous civil authorities, and the squalor of life in a far outpost of the French Republic all gave the film an authentic feel. This viewer hoped for goodness to win out, but expected tragedy, and was not disappointed. Always four stars for Ms Binoche!
mvieaddict
mvieaddict

June 3, 2009
Neel Auguste ( Kusturica) is condemn to death for a murder on the little island of Saint-Pierre, which was, a territory of France. The guillotine( Veuve) is the instrument of death in France at that time. But the island doesn't have its "Veuve" and one is to be sent from Martinique. In the waiting, the convict is kept in prison at the captain's ( Daniel Auteuil) residence. The captain's wife (Binoche) is convinced that the murderer deserves a second chance and she's working towards that goal.

All the performances did a great job, especially Juliette Binoche and Emir Kusturica. Their chemistry is shown so real and keeps the viewer hooked to see what will finally happen.
Akaisha
November 13, 2006
The acting could be better but the story line is unbeatable. Its a romance for the pessimists like me.
Mike N.
June 28, 2014
started becoming uninteresting very quickly...not my cup of tea..
March 3, 2014
Based on a true story! An extraordinary dark drama that reflects an anti death penalty rationale! But if you look harder you will see the film is about so much more! The more dangerously involved the Captain and his wife become with the condemned prisoner the more their passions explode!

A deeply romantic and complex story about the human condition and the tinderbox that dwells within our hearts!
February 22, 2014
Horribly depressing. Extremely good acting, but the story is so gruesome it is extremely difficult to watch.
Pascal
December 27, 2012
This French film deals with a man sentenced to be killed by means of the guillotine (the widow(maker), la veuve). The story takes place a few hundred years back on a cold island, beautifully filmed; you can almost feel the cold coming off the screen.
After a while, the population starts to actually like the prisoner, but since the island's council doesn't want to go against the will of the government in Paris, the sentence has to be carried out. But what can you do if the island lacks a guillotine as well as an executioner?
La Veuve de St. Pierre is very captivating, full of sympathetic people, but then fate doesn't seem to care much if people are good or bad, or if maybe they deserve a second chance, like the prisoner awaiting his execution.
It's all very well acted by the all-star French cast (including Juliette Binoche and Daniel Auteuil). A very well-produced, touching film.
April 25, 2008
Few films have set up the contrast between the cruel machinery of human justice and the piercing glory of Christian mercy more starkly and profoundly.
December 27, 2011
Remarkable and hauntingly gripping.
June 14, 2011
My number one film for cinematography.
angie225
July 20, 2010
The movie is well done, Juliette Binoche is a great actress and she demonstrated once again. The problem is that this film is tiring and slow moving as most of the french movies.

The story is interesting but sad, and the end is terrible (I hated it)
Rex Fenestrarum
July 20, 2010
Decent film based on a true story from 1850's French Canada. Saved from a lower rating by the excellent acting (Emir Kustirica, Daniel Auteuil and the always-beautiful Juliette Binoche) and wonderful camerawork which really captures the remote desolation of the small island on which the murder tale takes place. Be warned however - don't get sucked in to watching (errr.. reading) this film for the "murder" bits - it's more of a tale of the redemption of the murderer. [i]In French; Subtitled.[/i]
MRtrav
July 20, 2010
I really thought I would like this movie, but to me it fell kind of flat. I thought some of the characters were unbelievable, even with some great performances (mainly Juliette Binoche). Just didn't strike the chord.

C-:rotten:
kgaard
July 20, 2010
[font=Times New Roman][size=3][color=darkorange][font=Arial][i]Whale Rider[/i] (Niki Caro, 2002)[/font] [/color][/size][/font]

[font=Times New Roman][size=3][color=darkorange]Waiting for the idiot grandfather to come around in this film was more an act of endurance than an unfolding of drama. I?ve seen this story before, and [i]Whale Rider[/i] offers little reason for me to have engaged with it again.[/color][/size][/font]

[font=Arial][size=3][color=darkorange][i]The Last Emperor[/i] (Bernardo Bertolucci, 1987)[/color][/size][/font]

[font=Times New Roman][size=3][color=darkorange]My memory of this (I nodded off for about a 15-minute span in the middle) is so fuzzy is probably not fair for me to rate it. But I will anyway. Ha.[/color][/size][/font]

[font=Times New Roman][size=3][color=darkorange][font=Arial][i]The Widow of Saint-Pierre[/i] (Patrice Leconte, 2000)[/font] [/color][/size][/font]

[font=Times New Roman][size=3][color=darkorange]Appallingly self-congratulatory and self-righteous, [i]The Widow of Saint-Pierre[/i] uses capital punishment as a mere prop toward examining a love based on mutual idiocy.[/color][/size][/font]

[font=Times New Roman][size=3][color=darkorange][font=Arial][i]Red Dawn[/i] (John Milius, 1984)[/font] [/color][/size][/font]

[font=Times New Roman][size=3][color=darkorange][i]Red Dawn[/i], on the other hand, is too easily dismissed as Cold War right-wing propaganda. It is, at times, hammy, and its emphasis on action at the expense of character development is to its detriment, but propaganda it ain?t. The conversations between the Cuban colonel and the Russian general about ?winning hearts and minds? have an eerie, familiar ring, and the American guerillas are portrayed with more nuance than one might expect.[/color][/size][/font]

[font=Times New Roman][size=3][color=darkorange]Plus, the opening sequence is supercool.[/color][/size][/font]