The Wild Angels - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Wild Angels Reviews

TheDudeLebowski65
½ October 26, 2013
Biker pictures are some of nastiest, grittiest films in Exploitation. The subject is ugly and intense. Some terrific films of the genre such as Easy Rider and Stone are memorable for their portrayal in the lifestyle. Stone being the more accurate of the two. Roger Corman's The Wild Angels is a classic of the genre, and is a fine biker film. With a great cast of actors, this film is very entertaining and is notable for using real Hell's Angels to add more authenticity to the film. The result is an impressive action drama that is brutal and intense. If you enjoy biker themed movies, then you should watch this film, it is a highly entertaining film that keeps you interested from start to finish. Peter Fonda is great here, and he would later star in Easy Rider. Roger Corman crafts something good here, a film that relies on its authenticity to create one of the most memorable biker films that has ever been filmed. With that being said, it does lack at times, but the fact that Corman hired real bikers for the film, makes this really appealing to viewers wanted a film that feels real. The Wild Angels is a worthwhile picture, one that manages to be packed with action and excitement throughout. Like I said, the film has its flaws, but works well enough to make it a film to enjoy. The Wild Angels is a film that will most likely appeal to midnight film fans, but as it is, it's a picture that deserves to be seen by any film buff looking for a well made cult film.
September 5, 2010
One of my favourite biker movies ever. Fonda gives a great performance. The story is good too. I really liked this movie.
rubystevens
April 6, 2009
peter fonda plays a hell's angels chapter president with nancy sinatra as his girlfriend. as awesome as that sounds it's not quite as ridiculous as i was expecting. more fun than good in typical corman fashion. nice scenery, lame script, bad acting. and way cool to see young bruce dern and diane ladd
½ May 27, 2016
If you've ever thought to yourself, "I wonder what lower depths the lowest common denominator is capable of sinking to?" you could show them this film and it would be all too clear. I don't know how much of this film is reality and how much is Hollywood fantasy, but the film sorts of plods along as one string of violence, drunken partying, raping, and bike riding after another. This is the sort of thing that gives people who ride motorcycles a bad name really. I appreciate certain elements of the film, especially its historical value. It was the first film after many Poe movies that Corman did where he got out on the street and started trying to capture what was "in" at the time. The Hell's Angels were all over the media, and this film was the result. Starring Peter Fonda a few years before production on Easy Rider began, with Nancy Sinatra and Bruce Dern as well. The Wild Angels began the outlaw biker movie craze that lasted for a surprisingly long time, and so its influence permeates the American culture whether they realize it or not. While other hedonistic films can at least be fun while doing so (Corman's next film "The Trip" better captured that), The Wild Angels has an air of nihilistic doom in its ending and its hollow and vile pleasure pursuits. It's a difficult film to grapple with, since it espouses a message of freedom while depicting a group that yields to conformity in their own ranks and committing acts that are the natural end of Fonda's manifesto from the film: "We wanna be free! We wanna be free to do what we wanna do. We wanna be free to ride. We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man! ... And we wanna get loaded. And we wanna have a good time. And that's what we are gonna do. We are gonna have a good time... We are gonna have a party."
As Fonda says this in the film, he is standing over his friend's dead body, and shortly after the speech the friend's widow is drugged and raped. Freedom to "do what we wanna do" is costly indeed. Fonda's character better sums up the absurdity of it all at the end. His girlfriend and fellow Angel buddy are riding away to get away from the cops, and as his "old lady" pleads with him to leave he says "There's nowhere to go." When you believe that life has no meaning and your pursuit of pleasure only ends in death and suffering, where is there to go?
½ December 1, 2014
September 6, 2013
Roger Corman was sometimes ahead of the curve. This film not only lead what became a subgenre of outlaw biker films, but Peter Fonda on a Harley wearing aviator sunglasses before "Easy Rider" hit the scene. Now the film is alright, but it isn't really anything to right home about. Fonda is good, but the film is fairly tame by today's standards.
½ August 2, 2013
This film really makes no sense with all the violence. Oh yeah, it was filmed with actual members of Hell's Angels, so it probably made sense to them or they wouldn't have been in it. Filmed on the fly, it's unfair to judge a culture by a single movie - but this flick would have only increased the mistrust most "moral families" had about bikers and their cries of "freedom from The Man".
½ November 9, 2011
I enjoyed this one for the style and the era in which it was filmed, though I would confess that I don't think I quite 'get' the whole biker film as a whole. These guys wanna rebel against...whatever, be free to ride their motorcycles, etc, but they spend most of their time being antagonistic dicks to the general public, leading em to question why we owe them their 'freedom' or what the fuck ever they think they need from society.

Worth a rental, but I dunno if I would come back to it any time soon, as the muddled message or agenda is so alien to me.
½ July 28, 2010
January 16, 2009
Essential entry in the biker-flick craze of the 1960s and '70s, a heartfelt plea for nihilism and abnormalcy in a world enslaved by Civilization.
June 13, 2008
Peter Fonda, Bruce Dern, Nancy Sinatra and an ugly bunch of bikers. That's what makes for a good cult flick.

Great line: "We want to be free to ride our machines without being hassled by the man!"
April 15, 2008
Good. Stars Peter Fonda, Nancy Sinatra, Diane Ladd & Bruce Dern but very opposite "Easy Rider". This film casted Hell's Angel's as extras and cast. Corman wanted it to have a real sense about the film. I liked this one, full of Sex, Violence, Drugs and Rock and Roll (except the music kinda sucks in this one, and I wasn't fond of Ladd getting raped) other than that Fonda is still the man.
½ March 10, 2008
This early Roger Corman movie came to be known as typical Roger Corman. Sex, drugs, violence, and rock and roll embed a film surprisingly deep with subtle social commentary about life, death, religion, and other issues prevalent at the time. It's quite hard to take these social aspects into account when watching this film in this decade as a lot of these issues are quite different today than they were back then. Peter Fonda's performance was Blues, while not quite as good as say, Crazy Larry, still adds a lot to the film. This is a worthy view for any fan of the road/chopper films and Roger Corman/Peter Fonda.
½ May 27, 2016
½ January 23, 2009
Gang of Hell's Angels just want to be left alone to do what they want and not be hassled by the man. They demand respect but respect no one. Must admit I don't quite understand the biker subculture of the time to appreciate this somewhat notorious film.