Wilderness Reviews

WrenchLT
½ June 3, 2007
Bloody British horror about a group of young prison offenders being hunted down on a remote island by a vengeful father and his pack of German Shepherds. Enjoyble survival horror. Fairly straightforward though, nothing too surprising or groundbreaking. If you liked other Brit horrors like Dog Soldiers, The Decent or Severence than this is worth a look.
thefog1331
June 14, 2009
A welcome entry to survival horror with shades of the slasher genre thrown in for good measure. Low budget British fun.
½ June 29, 2007
Low budget UK horror, looked great from trailer but bit of a let down overall, had great potential. Very gory.
Beefy
½ September 1, 2007
Solid if unoriginal Lord of the Flies type film. Hard to root for anyone, which is problematic. Some fierce dog mauling effects.
½ March 16, 2007
Battle Royale meets The Most Dangerous Game with a hint of Lord of the Flies. I don't think I've been so ticked off by a film character in a long time as I was by Steve. Gods, was he a right prick (though I don't think anyone can beat the guys in I Spit On Your Grave in a-holeness).
xxdebxx
November 2, 2008
Wilderness is a brutal thriller/horror movie. A bunch of violent young male inmates are sent to an isolated island, after one of the interns commit suicide. It appears that the young cell-mate felt forced to take his own life, due to the constant, aggressive harassment that he used to suffer from his fellow inmates. The boys run into 2 girls and their own warden from another detention center. Testosterone fuelled male inmates can't help but make advances to the opposing female camp. Neither of the two wardens are very happy about each other's group being there, but when one of the boys is found dead, they band together to fight for survival after getting picked off one by one by a mysterious and ruthless killer with a crossbow, a pack of attack dogs and a skill for booby traps.
The characters are a sorry and tiring bunch that you couldn't care less about. Sure they're not meant to be likable, but hell they really irritated me.
The movie has something for every fan of the genre; beheadings, vicious forest traps, mauling, being eaten alive, crossbows, knife fights, skinheads, near drowning, the list goes on. I cannot recall the last time I saw a movie so openly graphic in terms of dismemberment and human death. Maybe there wasn't enough violence or action for you, but it was more than enough for me.
½ June 27, 2007
Wilderness falls squarely into B-movie horror territory; the concept is ridiculous, the characterisation is non-existent, the acting is awful across the board and it also looks very, very cheap. Taken on these terms, if that's possible, there's still some enjoyment to be found. The basic pitch is: male young offenders, being punished for their part (or lack thereof) in the suicide of another inmate, are packed off to a remote, uninhabited island for team-building, orienteering and to learn respect. There, coincidentally, they run into another team-building group of teenage girls, and they soon have to stick together to out run an unseen enemy - plus a pack of rabid dogs - gradually picking them off one by one in gruesome ways. The reasons behind the attacks is where the film utterly derails; the survivors, whilst talking about what might be happening, come to an absolutely insane conclusion that turns out to be true and all suspension of disbelief is thrown out of the window. Such 'plot development' is just crazy and quite frankly I would've been happier if the murders been committed by a giant snake or a garden gnome (spoiler: they're not!). Ah well. Anyway, what keeps the film interesting is some actually quite inventive camerawork, which includes underwater shots, blood splatters on the lens, crash zooms etc., and the level and ferocity of the cartoonish violence, as limbs are torn off and heads ripped from bodies.
brandonklaus2
August 3, 2008
I don't really know what to say except that it's not great. There were also a couple of god awful scenes mixed in.
September 4, 2008
Wilderness is a horror/survival movie straight from the UK that turned out to be really good in my book. When a bunch of youth offenders are sent to whats suppose to be a deserted island after another prisoner is found dead they find more then just that seems someone is stalking them and beginning to kill them off one by one as they try to there best to learn to survive. Blood and gore and killer dogs are all over this movie that has one part Dog Soldiers another part Battle Royale and is very much worth taken a look at would have been 5 stars but some of the characters and little bit of the story i found to be weak still doesnt take alot away from this movie.
John2223
½ July 6, 2008
Gripping, fast paced and well acted British film that delivers some brutal and jumpy sequences.
DrLappos
October 11, 2007
This was a blend of Dog Soldiers and every other wilderness film you have ever seen but still worth a watch.
½ February 2, 2007
Great little film made by the director of Deathwatch. It's weird, in Deathwatch he seemed to not want to be making a horror film, but in this one he revels in it. I've heard people complain that there are no likeable characters in this film, but at least they're interesting and there are some excellent performances. Gory as hell, suspenseful and a fun concept make this a great watch.
½ May 13, 2014
A well done werewolf story , despite it's made for tv look . Shares many themes with the movie " Wolf " , but less a horror movie than a psychological drama .
April 1, 2014
Low budget horror from Ireland I believe. I found it to be more of a thriller with slasher aspects. There are some decent effects and the acting is not terrible nor are the accents too thick to understand. A group of young inmates are taken to the woods to learn teamwork. A revenge seeker begins working them over and they fail the lesson; it's everyone for themselves as they try to escape with their lives.
February 10, 2012
I watched this movie a couple of times and i really liked it! and its really well made and fun to watch a bunch of snotty inmates die one by one and you can tell from the beginning who dies and who lives.
½ August 25, 2008
I have a weakness for horror movies and very little squeamishness about fake violence, so discount accordingly. This is a JD story by way of The Most Dangerous Game, with a bit of the Italian lost-on-the-island-so-let's-split-up genre. Very nicely done for what it is (a bloodbath), with believable characterizations in an unbelievable plot.
July 4, 2008
Very bloody & gory British horror film that has some bad guys being hunted down in the woods by a killer.
February 5, 2008
The movie delivered on gore, atmosphere and the cast was good.Entertaining & very bloody.Not the biggest gross-out you will ever see, but still quite a few good tense moments.
February 9, 2015
I have no idea why this film has such a low rating don't let that put you off if you loved dog soldiers you will love this film it's creepy twists and interactions between people in the film is tense it also has a lot of violence which I still don't know why it is a 15 still though watch this film I loved it.