Winged Migration Reviews

July 27, 2009
I liked the birds that ran on the surface of the water the best, they were so funny.
½ February 2, 2008
This may be a 5, but it's been since the film's release that I've seen it, so I want to give it another view.
bbcfloridabound
½ January 11, 2008
The Scenes in this are unbeleiveable. I have seen Mallard Ducks for years but never noticed how flat they are when they fly. You fly with the birds, you will be in awwwww.
April 16, 2007
The photography is amazing but it gets a little old after the first hour. The documentary on the DVD is almost more interesting. Definitely worth seeing at least once.
January 14, 2013
Winged Migration works because words are kept out of it. Rather than having a mind numbing narration that doesn't really add to the drama, we just have the biirds..and all kinds of them attempting that they had done oodles of time previously in cross crossing the planet as a matter of survival.
½ April 13, 2007
This is beautiful, but it was absolutely ruined for me when I learned that they raised the birds from birth to flock around humans and their hang-glider. Lame.
March 30, 2008
It's pretty but quite simple.
hawkledge
March 6, 2009
Odyssey three years in the making, amazing experience, impressive and moving, the main focus to portray the grandeur of birds in general. An intimate, poetic portrait that conveys the majesty of all birds.
April 23, 2008
A crisp documentary about the migration patters of birds. While this movie deserves all the praise in the world for the amazing cinematograhy, I wshed for a bit more contextual narration to actually learn something about what I am looking at. Still, if you are into documentaries, camerawork, bird or nature you should not miss this one.
½ February 16, 2013
Winged Migration (2003) -- [7.0] -- How they shot "Winged Migration" is almost more fascinating than the subject matter. The filmmakers rigged camera equipment to ultralight planes and imprinted with hatching birds of various species to get as close to their subjects as possible. The resulting cinematography is breathtaking, especially if you love birds. The film focuses solely on the migratory patterns of birds all around the world, so the shots of birds flying -- while mesmerizing for a while -- can get old. The film also shows a few points of danger in the birds' everyday lives, including several birds shot out of the sky by hunters, one who gets stuck in factory sludge, and one with a broken wing who gets devoured by crabs. As a bird lover who doesn't want to see these things, I was at least thrilled with the part where a captured blue parrot is wise enough to escape a poacher's cage. The filmmakers don't linger too long on any of the tragedies, thankfully. Overall, more of a technical marvel than a revealing educational piece -- but gorgeous to look at.
December 25, 2012
Nice film aesthetically - soundtrack is pretty good and footage is fantastic. But the film completely missed out on an opportunity to educate about the fascinating lives and behaviors of the dozens of bird species that they filmed. I can understand if the purpose was to make an aesthetic film as opposed to a documentary, but in that case, why bother putting in the tiny and virtually pointless bits of narration at all?
July 16, 2009
Is Netflix ever wrong with the rating predictions? Here I thought I would give a five-star rating and it fluctuates from two to three. ha. Winged Migration begins with a disappointing and highly repetitive sequence of similar footage where various birds are starting out with their flight patterns. It beats me how the filmmakers got that close to the birds in observing them from right beside their aerial 'V' but they did it and my pupils dilated. However, this goes on for longer than necessary. The different species of birds aren't even discussed fully. You notice that English-speaking viewers will have some information omitted if you have subtitles on which tell more about the birds than the narrator. Oh, and the narrator isn't even heard that often - mistake. I think it was the last forty-five minutes where things picked up. The birds reach their destinations and since there are so many of the birds' locales, brilliant shots are captured. Then come in the PETA messages, some of which were filmed mysteriously. As in the filmmakers transcend any rules between humans and birds and PETA members and poachers. What impressed me about this documentary was its editing which I have to say was particularly good. It goes along with the questionable filming techniques.
June 19, 2009
Classic naturalist cinema with jaw dropping detail captured through some modern, some McGyver ish camera work.
July 6, 2007
Awesome, stunning photography. Visual poetry with beautiful symmetry, and just enough social commentary to make its point.
April 21, 2007
Amazing camera work that is with a reasonable sound track make this shine but the Voice Over is lack luster and the text on screen ruins the rich imagery.
April 17, 2007
Amazing viewpoint of in flight birds. Great scenes of the world. I wondered how the shots were done for quite some time. The bonus DVD feature answered all my questions. So much preparation went into this film.
January 17, 2007
I can appreciate this one for what has gone into making it but I think I may have missed the point as I just found this award winning documentary boring.
November 4, 2006
A literally uplifting documentary about birds and their migration. Beautiful scenery, animals, and a music score.
½ September 11, 2006
Winged Migration is one of the better documentaries out there. The way the cameras get so very very close to the birds and and you can see all the aspects of their flight... totally amazing and totally beautiful.
February 28, 2015
Amazingly shot! Have no idea how they did it as the camera crew would have to be on some sort of aircraft, but however it was done, it really brings you into the world of migratory birds and gives you literally a "bird's eye view" of the beautiful landscapes and oceans they fly over in their endless search of food. The distance that they travel is astonishing. One species flies from the arctic to the antarctic, which is basically traveling the globe longitudinally from North to South Pole over an incredible 12,000 miles. You sometimes find yourself flying right next to them over rivers and streams and other times down on the ground or in lakes as they fish, eat insects or have to defend their young against other predatory birds. Really a deeply penetrating lens into their world.