Winnie Mandela - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Winnie Mandela Reviews

August 29, 2013
This is a good biopic on Winnie Mandela, the wife of the late Nelson Mandela. The film takes a look at her life and how she met Nelson, but at the same time, it does leave a bit to be desired because I felt that the film could have been much better than what was delivered before a viewing audience. Winnie Mandela is a good film worth seeing, but you'll quickly realize that it does fall short of its potential at times. This is a retelling in a romanticized way of her life, and its accuracy can be called into question. However the performances are engaging and the cast is impressive, despite a few imperfections here and there. Terrence Howard is good in the role of Nelson Mandela; however he is not the best choice to play him. I found Morgan Freeman and Idris Elba to be far superior choices, and with that being said, Howard does what he can with the material, and he is pretty good, but he is far from memorable as well. The film works well and it does manage to be entertaining from start to finish, but it's obvious that the film's script has its limitations; therefore Winnie Mandela is an average biopic that never goes in depth into its subject, which is a shame because Winnie Mandela and her late husband are fascinating icons. The film is your typical hollywoodized version of facts, and though good, I wanted more actuality to the story. Nonetheless, Winnie Mandela is a good film, but one that should have been closer to the real life story because, let's face it, it's a fascinating story, one that deserves to be properly told. With that being said, the definitive film of Winnie Mandela's life has yet to be made, but for now, this is a good film to watch and get to k now the person who stood by Nelson Mandela while he was in prison.
May 22, 2014
Superior to Long walk to freedom, in essence a love story where something goes terribly wrong. Conditions in SA and specifically in jail much better portrayed in Winnie. Heart warming and terrifying. Watched it three times in 3 days! Much less Hollywood than similar movies on Mandela's life.
March 27, 2014
This biopic about the first wife of iconic and legendary South African statesman and apartheid adversary Nelson Mandela, stars Academy Award winning actress Jennifer Hudson (Dreamgirls) as the title character who was raised in a strict, rural upbringing with a schoolteacher father who was disappointed with the fact that she was his sixth daughter. Winnie worked hard to win his approval and when she was of age she moved to the city to pursue medical school -- which was unusual in a sexist, apartheid South Africa. It was here that she met (and almost reluctantly) fell in love with the young political revolutionary Mandela (Terrence Howard - Hustle & Flow) who was already an "enemy" of the white government for believing in equality. The film is rather shaky in that it doesn't really appear to know what it wants to tell us about Winnie and while an Oscar-winner (in a good performance with one STELLAR, knockout scene), Hudson does appear to have a limited acting range. After Nelson is arrested and incarcerated, Winnie also faces some horrible and unjust, inhumane abuses at the hands of the South African government and once she is freed she attempts to carry his mantle but does so with some very questionable actions that have today tainted her legacy. The film perhaps wants to be overly honest but in doing so Winnie doesn't come across as a winning figure for such a biopic. Different time ... different place. She was strong and she was not broken and she did NOT give up. Like her or not -- she was no Nelson -- I wish this movie had been better.
February 24, 2014
I'm surprised about the poor reviews on this story of sacrafice for a racist society. Well acted and powerful in many parts and a must see for those that want to prevent a repeat.
½ February 17, 2014
Winnie Mandela without a doubt one of most evil woman to have walked the face of the earth. She is not 'an Icon'. The historically accurate version, should of been called Monster. Because the truth about Winnie Mandela is a far worse truth, in comparison to a movie about Aileen Wuornos. To call Winnie Mandela an icon is to show ignorance. South Africa has the worst education system in Africa. To teach young people that she was a hero, is the worst insult. No body would dream of calling Hitler a hero in Germany. I would not be surprised if the ANC government is behind the bull crap. For example the fake sign language interpreter at Nelson Mandela's memorial.
½ January 29, 2014
Great movie, sure they could have gotten a better cast but pretty good performances throughout they still got the message across.
½ December 31, 2013
Necklacing tribalistic murderess.
It's incredible this got made. An insult to her husband.
December 28, 2013
I really enjoyed this movie. It moved me to learn more of her true story and struggle. I have come to find that there are complexities and truths that weren't quite portrayed as my research have shown, but never-the-less, I have to give it a thumbs up!
December 22, 2013
Jennifer Hudson did a wonderful job
December 18, 2013
December 3, 2013
This is a must see movie! I was not expecting it to be this good!
September 18, 2013
Perhaps we didn't see the same movie! I was totally stunned by the performances and the incredible story of Winnie Mandela. I would easily give it 5 stars for content, direction, and story development. I had made assumptions about the lives of the Mandelas. It was riveting to see some of the truths about apartheid.
September 6, 2013
Winnie is a conniving, power hungry, corrupt politician. She's also a murderer. Don't waste your money. Go do some research.
September 5, 2013
serious lack of vajay
September 3, 2013
Despite the current abysmal rating, this flick has promise to be an inspiring journey about Nelson and Winnie Mandela
September 2, 2013
Why would one want to glamorize the life of that thug-lover and murderess? This is the worst kind of revisionism from an industry that seems largely given to rewriting the truth of history to suit their secularist left-leaning fantasies about how life really ought to be.
September 2, 2013
Should be interesting how they interpret the alleged involvement in and ordering of several human-rights abuses, including the 1988 kidnapping and murder of 14-year old ANC activist Stompie Moeketsi
October 5, 2012
You will be moved, enlightened and fascinated by this film. All your senses will be heightened by the performances, the music and the scenery. may get Goosebumps!
Love truly has no boundaries!