63% The Maze Runner Sep 19

90% Outlander: Season 1

Winter in Wartime Reviews

Cynthia S

August 23, 2011
A family is torn apart by loyalties, fear, secrecy and distrust while their freezing little world disintegrates around them. Excellent acting, cinematography for a rare coming-of-age piece. Powerful ending. Really good film!
mvieaddict
mvieaddict

April 16, 2009
Oorlogswinter is a very, very special movie around the themes war, love, trust, friendship from the point of view of a 14-year old Dutch teenager in the last winter of World War 2.

Beautiful cold winter-setting with lots of snow and original landscapes; - fantastic music , I loved the music in the movie, unbelievable beautiful.

The script has been adjusted very well for the screen, with a suspenseful storyline and depth characters. The performances of Martijn Lakemeijer (Michiel) and Jamie Campbell Bower (Jack) really stand out. For Dutch standards it's produced in very high quality, with great photography and a incredible score. I recommend this movie highly to anyone, especially those who are interested in war stories.
kylemydude
kylemydude

February 24, 2010
A compelling, incredibly thrilling masterpiece. More thoughts to come.
July 14, 2014
An excellent wartime coming of age drama set in Nazi occupied Holland late in World War II. The story is powerful and well told. The acting is excellent. The settings and cinematography are outstanding. A very well directed and emotionally powerful movie.
thereverendtholomewplague
August 23, 2012
A beautiful, if not, powerful Dutch film. It tells a story of simple resistance during WWII, and the monstrosities that can result from it by the people surrounding them. The acting was strong, and indefinitely great. The performance of lead, Martijn Lakemeier was wonderful. I kind of enjoyed the coldness of the cinematography. A film full of emotion--betrayal, hope, anxiety, sadness, but also with a pleasant story, I suppose. Overall, I thought it was thrilling throughout and enjoyed it.
April 1, 2012
I am quite biased when it comes to giving ratings and/or reviews on WW2-themed movies.This movie is not as good as a more famous Dutch WW2 movie, "Zwartboek", on capturing the true soul of Dutch resistance, since it focuses on a much narrower scope. Nonetheless, the focus on the small boy of Michiel (played by Martijn Lakemeier, whose honest, naive acting reminds me of the small Macaulay Culkin) deserves plenty of praise.
fletchandme
August 10, 2011
Tense, original story of Nazi wartime in Holland. The actors were perfectly cast, and there were surprises around every turn. I felt constantly worried for Michiel. It's nice to see another version of a town and country where people were so obviously against Hitler and the Nazi occupation, yet were powerless to do anything about it without risking their lives. And yet, many of them chose to do just that. I loved it from beginning to end. Don't let sub-titles push you away from this one.
May 30, 2014
Not only having a beautiful title and scene of white winter, "Winter In Wartime" successfully combines a touching War-melodrama with thriller elements. This film brings us to examine ourselves how to confront, betrayal and ally, courage and duplicity as surrounding us complexly.
May 6, 2014
classic, mindblowing picture, best screenplay
April 15, 2014
Compelling, dark story, but nonetheless a good movie. English subtitles.
March 26, 2014
Excellent film that portrays a young boy's abrupt coming of age in German occupied Holland during WWII. Movingly told.
August 18, 2013
Good human war drama. Climax was twisted and very suspenseful. 13 year old Michiel and British paratrooper Jack's friendship was wonderful. Music by great Pino Donaggio! (Carrie, The Howling) Good actors, very powerful story and great cinematography. If you like good Foreign movies, try this! Blu-ray's picture and sound quality was amazing!
ktf77
April 24, 2013
4/19/13 This film does pick on the Germans (again), but it is a very good story. It is a tough life they are forced to live under the occupation. This story definitely makes me appreciate that I live in today's world and not back then. In war, everyone was constantly putting their lives on the line, even the civilians, like in this film.
February 22, 2013
beautiful performance by Martijn Lakemeier who captures the fear of the Nazis that lingered in the air,
Frederick W.
January 2, 2013
A must see for the way loyalty, kindness and heroism of family, friend and foe are shown entangled and complex; for the beautiful winter backdrop to the murderous German occupation; and for the cast, especially the young who come of age, trying desperately to prevent more killing. Gorgeous and painful!! (Beautiful old bicycles, too)
December 18, 2012
Another excellent WWII movie from the Dutch. Well worth a watch!
October 30, 2012
Richly compelling. Brilliant.
Lucciano V.
August 16, 2012
Winter In Wartime is one of most suspenseful foreign thrillers before 2009s The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo. The seting in World War II is dark and gritty. The performances are absolutey outstanding and so realistic. It has a very gritty story about a teen deciding to going to adulthood to save a British soldier from the Nazis. I was on the edge on my seat. I really cared about the characters and wanted them to be okay. The score felt like The Girl With Dragon Tattoo again even before that which it made it so intense and scary. I love the hell out of this movie. I couldn't believe it was an entry for the oscars, but didn't get recognition. It was the finest film setting in World War II since 2004s Downfall.
Rate10/10
Stephen M.
May 8, 2012
This Dutch WWII drama is visually stark and tense. It's also somewhat unbelievable and inconsistent. The facts here may be loosely based on a true story, but it feels like the truth morphed over time in the minds of the people involved.

The young teenager Lakemeier is the son of Thiry, the kowtowing mayor of a small Dutch town overrun by Nazis. The clumsy kid is nonplussed by his father's sly, deferential treatment of the SS troops in order to keep the starving berg peaceful. Lakemeier is both protected by his father's position and aided by his own sneakiness;
he and his pals steal Nazi artifacts. So, when given a task behind enemy lines, the boy jumps at the chance. While completing his covert operation, Lakemeier fi nds an injured British soldier (Campbell Bower) and sets to protect him.

Can you already sense there is a lot going on in the film? Yet most of this tale feels like a mash-up of other, much better WWII coming-of-age films. Noble Lakemeier is good, but he cannot hold together a story where the dad is both wimpy and sneaky, and the Nazis vacillate between vicious and kind. Soon, the sullen sister is asked for help, the Nazis start torturing poor old dad, and then it all devolves into a ridiculous chase sequence. By that point, Winter in Wartime has lost us all in the woods around that little Dutch village.
March 29, 2012
A Dutch film portraying a teenager's unanticipated involvement in trying to save a downed British pilot during World War II in Nazi occupied Holland. Beautifully photographed with some good scenes, although the story arc doesn't quite come together.