Wishmaster - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Wishmaster Reviews

TheDudeLebowski65
May 29, 2012
Wishmaster is an interesting idea for a horror flick. The film presents the viewer with the plot of an evil genie who grants you three wishes, but destroys your life without you enjoying what you desire. The actor playing the Djinn, Andrew Divoff is good here, and he makes the film better. The film tends to rely on excessive violence and gore to create the horror. In some way it tries to elevate the film a bit. However, it doesn't really work at times. This is still entertaining for what it is, but the script does show its limitations, and you know that it could have been much better. With this film they just stuck with a traditional formula for horror violence, instead of exploring further the concept of an evil genie. I think the film at times lacked focus, and it brought it down a notch. If you're looking for a good film, then this is it. However don't expect anything remarkable. With its interesting idea, I was surprised how under developed the film was. I felt that it was a good flick, but it lacked something to really make it stand out, and be of real interest for horror fans. Expect something good with this one, and you may not be disappointed. Despite its interesting idea, Wishmaster ends up just being another gore induced horror flick. Though entertaining, this could have been a far better film too. For what it is, this is a mindless horror film worth watching because of its interesting ideas. However, you are left wanting more out of this film as well. Aside from lots of gore, which may appeal to the gore hounds out there, this film doesn't offer anything really remarkable in terms of genuine chills and terror.
March 16, 2012
The director began as a makeup artist ... which means lotsa makeup effects, lots of them (its the reason for the film), but with a lame-o script there's not a lot of reasons for them. Still the premise is good even if the execution leaves a lot to be desired, and so its a good night with a bad movie.
August 2, 2009
A fun idea for a new slasher premise, at least 3 sequels were made. The SFX do look a bit dated now and the gore effects, along with a lot of elements to the film do look a little low budget. With Wes Craven as exec producer and starring Robert Englund and cameos by Tony Todd and Kane Hodder adds a few nice touches for the horror fans. Andrew Divoff plays the evil Djinn very well and with a dark sense of humour. It is a bit cheesy but has a certain charm to it, one for gore fans and horror buffs will enjoy it more than most.
½ April 25, 2010
With all the slashers that came after Scream, it's nice to see a gimmicky supernatural monster doing the rounds. Rather than haunting dreams, this guy grants wishes, but uses a number of amusing play on word jokes, to make sure the wishes end in disaster. It's a bit of fun, with some dodgy CGI, and nice practical effects. More for gore than genuine chills. Divoff has a lot of fun as the Djinn, and there are plenty of horror icon cameo's to spot. A fun evenings viewing.
½ November 18, 2009
Andrew Divoff (a.k.a Mikael from lost) made this movie worth watching. He is probably one of the best villains, but the movie suffers from cheap effects and a dragging plot. It makes no sense at times, but it has a lot of unintentionally hilarious moments.
½ April 26, 2009
A plain horror movie that gave way to many sequels. Very straight to video in my opinion.
366weirdmovies
February 15, 2009
A malevolent Djinn released into modern times will rule the world if he can trick a woman into asking him to grant her three wishes. Fun enough horror outing that could have been much better if it put as much effort into the cat-and-mouse aspects of the wishing game as it does the (admittedly good) special effects.
puffchunk
½ October 25, 2007
Despite the numerous plot holes, silly storyline and equal acting, I must admit this film has great special effects and a high fun-factor. Any movie that can incorporate a guy turning into sand, skeletons ripping out of bodies and killing people, killer statues and the bum from back to the future gets an A in my book.
April 2, 2007
Not as cheesy as I was expecting it to be, and some of the special effects are actually pretty, well, effective.
½ September 15, 2007
Oh man. I imagine that it's really hard to come up with a really fresh new idea for a horror movie monster, but when you nail it, you've got a new classic on your hands. That's what happened here. A great monster, a really worthy heroine, great effects and a great ending. This movie is such a gem.
July 15, 2007
The Wishmaster is as great as Freddy Krueger; with his own history and set of powers. It was fascinating to see the gorey ways in which people got their wishes granted. Is a Djinn the same as a Genie?
July 12, 2012
Wishmaster is not ordinary film, the special effect may be a bit static and outdated but the concept was great, typical Craven film with lots of new ideas all fused together. Wishmaster is a brilliant piece of parody of the classic Aladdin story, it is so underrated.
Lord Naseby
May 14, 2011
This is a redo. The more I thought about this film the worse it got.

Acting/Characters: I am a sucker for Robert Englund and I enjoyed him in the film. There were a lot of people in here from prominent horror films such as Kane Hodder who played Jason, Tony Todd who played Candyman, Angus Scrimm who played The Tall Man, ect. That was good. But boy were the characters ridiculously stupid. Irritatingly so actually. And by the time they got the starfish off of Angelina Jolie's face, her lips had swelled to twice their normal size. Jon Voight started laughing and that's why they never talk. If you read that last sentence, congrats, you actually read my reviews and I appreciate that. That aside, the Djinn and Robert Englund were the two best characters in the film. The Djinn was good because as a character, he realized how stupid everyone else was and he took advantage of that. Englund is always entertaining. The main character got smarter by the end but overall the acting was sub-par, and the character were stupid. 1.5/10

Plot: Long story short a Djinn (evil Genie) is released from a gem and tricks people into making wishes so he gets their souls. It's not a hard thing for him to do really. The plot is mildly interesting and kept me focused on the movie. It wasn't too generic either which is always nice. I didn't shut it off out of boredom which is a plus (but I've only ever shut off 3 movies). I dunno, it was a fun film at times. 3/10

Screenplay: Pretty much on par with the genre. It was the weakest element. Wes Craven (usually) gives us a good screenplay but here the title is a misnomer. He just produces it. It did nothing more than move the story along. Although, I don't understand why the last word of the Djinn's lines always had to be over-enunciated. It was like a cross between Davy Jones and Reverend Lovejoy. Kind of irritating really. 1.5/10

Likableness: It wasn't so terrible. I enjoyed it for the most part but it wasn't very well made. It had some good special effects and they made the Djinn look pretty cool. But that's it for the most part. It wasn't anything more than that. Like I said before, you could do worse. You could do better. It was just "eeh" and that's it. 2/10

Final Score: 8/40 42% (M)

TRIVIA TIME: 1. Characters named Finney, Beaumont, Derleth and Demerest are all references to science fiction or horror writers of the 1950s.

2. Many crew members, including director Robert Kurtzman (man killed by piano) had small roles in the film, some times appearing in different scenes as different characters.
iLeo
½ February 1, 2008
Great!
May 31, 2015
An average horror story with a cool looking villain, a djinn (genie), who if he can get someone to make a 3rd wish he will open a rift allowing all the djinn to take over the world. The problem is, when he grants a wish, the wisher gets what he wants but in a twisted, demented way. Usually the 2nd wish is to stop the first wish, then no more wishes. Decently acted. Worth a look.
October 10, 2014
Good horror movies are the kind that stimulate your imagination and strike genuine terror into the heart. But bad horror movies are the kind that strip away any such qualities and go instead for shock splatter just because. In other words, the kind of movie one wishes they hadn't wasted their time with. WISHMASTER is one of those movies in the latter category, which is a shame, because the conception of the story could have been an interesting twist on the ALADDIN legend. Andrew Divoff plays a centuries old, UGLY Djinn accidentally unleashed by aspiring scientist Tammy Lauren. The message "be careful what you wish for" is put to new use not just in the horrifying manner that said Djinn grants them. This is no Robin Williams, nor even a friendly magic spirit. No, this is a spirit from Hell, and he looks and acts like such, granting wishers their requests with extremely nasty prices. (SPOILER: Only a last minute wish to reverse the chaos saves the day.) Frankly, though, if I were given the opportunity, I'd wish for the movie in general to be far better than it actually is. It's cheaply executed, it's pointlessly gory, it's predictable, and worse, unpleasant to sit through. Evidently audiences responded otherwise, because this disaster spawned sequels. I personally have no wish to sit through any of them, nor frankly, even sit through this dreary, bloody, splattering, disgusting piece of shlock ever again. Finally, I wish for your own sanity and sake that you don't even bother either.
½ September 11, 2014
Pretty good movie. The plot is an interesting dark and twisted spin on the classic genie tale. The film starts off with great visual effects, but the production values feel too much like a TV movie, but as it progresses, it gets a little better. Most of the performances are so-so, Divoff giving the best as the evil Djin.
½ April 7, 2014
What's up with all the hate for this movie? Part one of this series is cool and the guy who plays the Djinn is perfect for this role. He looks evil, creepy, and very unpredictable. This was a very enjoyable movie for me...
February 21, 2014
Good, not super great supernatural horror. The story is clever and solidly built. Divoff is a decent, creepy, gravel voiced Djinn. But the real fun is the catalog of cult horror icons involved; Robert Englund, Tony Todd, and Ted Raimi are costarring with direction by Robert Kurtzman and produced by Wes Craven. Definitely not the best any of them have done, but neat to have them all together in a very watchable film.
½ July 6, 2013
Decent for a horror film, although it's formula gets stale and eventually the wish-gags are all that one can look forward to. The effects and make-up are really nice, and the gore isn't bad. Decent characters, interesting villain, and an overall neat story.