21% Transcendence Apr 18

The Witches of Eastwick Reviews

TheDudeLebowski65
TheDudeLebowski65

October 29, 2013
The Witches of Eastwick is a highly entertaining comedy horror film that relies on a great cast of actors and well constructed script to make for a fun, exhilarating two hours. Jack Nicholson is great in his performance as the devil, and director George Miller who also directed the Mad Max trilogy. Although not a memorable film, The Witches of Eastwick is one of the better films dealing with witches. Compared to others that have tackled the subject, this film is much more entertaining. At times the film could have been better, and the script should have been polished a bit more, but overall the strong on-screen performances more than make up for its weak moments. Every actor here is great, and each brings something unique to the screen to make this a fun, entertaining ride. George Miller's direction is terrific, and it's an impressive transition from his previous work. This is a film that will most certainly delight fantasy and horror fans alike, as the film touches on both genres, and has some effective comedic bits throughout the film. This is a good film, that should have been great with its cast, but like I said, the weak aspects in the story just prevent this film from ever reaching its full potential. Nonetheless it's a film worth seeing despite its flaws. With its cast at hand and good direction, The Witches of Eastwick is a film that delivers a good two hours of entertainment, but some viewers may be wanting more out of this film. Enjoyable for what it sets out to do, and one of the better witch movies out there. This film is far better than The Craft or Hocus Pocus. The works well enough to reach above its flaws, and Jack Nicholson and the cast save the story from being a mess. Even with its weak moments, this film proves that George Miller is able to venture into different territory and make an amusing film.
Mark W

October 18, 2011
Playing Old Nick must be highly appealing to an actor. It gives them the chance to let their darker side out and three of the most prestigious have done just that; Al Pacino gave it gusto in "Devil's Advocate", Robert DeNiro had a creepy stab at it in "Angel Heart" and this was Jack Nicholson's fun filled and menacing turn.
Alex (Cher), Jane (Susan Sarandon) and Sukie (Michelle Pfeiffer) are three dissatisfied single women from the picturesque village of Eastwick, who laughingly try to conjure a man to fulfil all their desires. Soon enough, Daryl Van Horne (Jack Nicholson) movies into the town, but he will have a strange effect on each of them, granting them strange powers and as the lives of everyone in the whole town start to unravel, it becomes increasingly clear what Daryl's real identity might be.
"Just your average horny little devil" is one of the first self imposed descriptions we get of Daryl Van Horne as Jack Nicholson revels in playing such a vibrant and perfectly suited character. That's not to say that the rest of the cast aren't impressive. They are. The three female leads are all perfect, particularly Sarandon with her transformation from shrinking violet to no-nonsense slut. Richard Jenkins, as usual, is able support as the quietly spoken local journalist and a special mention must go to Veronica Cartwright for her hilarious yet frightening turn as his possessed, churchgoing wife who sees Van Horne for what he is. Despite such a solid cast though, this is still the Jack Nicholson show. With every scene, he just chews up the screen and when his darker side is revealed, his performance only gets better, helping to forgive the fact that the shift in tone of the film is slightly uneven. It ranges from fantasy, through comedy, to horror. It's a transition that won't appeal to all and the special effects suffer slightly also. However, there's that much fun to be had with this film that it's hard to pick holes.
Movies are to be enjoyed and this is a film that has fun and excitement in abundance, helped by a great supporting cast and a dynamic performance by Nicholson, in a role that ranks as one of my favourites from him.
Phil H

August 16, 2011
If you wanna see Jack Nicholson doing his thing then this is probably the one to watch other than Batman, I've never known someone more perfect to play the role of the devil or a devil than Nicholson with his evil grin, arched eyebrows and that receding widows peak hair line.

The film was made for Jack and he plays it like a violin lol! sure he over acts but you just can't see anyone in this role, he's funny, devilish, off putting and quite eerie as the film progresses and things turn against him. On the flip side the casting for the three lovely ladies is more perfect casting if ever I saw it, Cher, Sarandon and Pfeiffer are all gorgeous together and make you wish you were in Jacks place with all his obvious wealth and power (is that Jack in the film or reality?).

The film is a gloriously Gothic horror/comedy of gallows humour and an amazing use of location, the musical score is wonderful and very much like the opening score for 'Beetlejuice', a kind of supernatural spooky tune that conjures all manner of halloween type imagery in your head, genius. Basically the film is all about sex and one guy trying to have three women haha it doesn't shy from that but its the dark ghostly approach that I personally love.
AJ V

September 6, 2010
A great comedy with a fantastic cast full of stars. The only part I didn't like was the ending, it felt kinda silly, but it could have been worse. Overall I really liked this movie, and if you like either stories where the devil tempts people or romantic comedies, you'll get both in this movie!
Conner R

December 8, 2010
Three hotties and Jack Nicholson as a demon/warlock, you can't lose. I really love the relationship of Cher, Michelle Pfeiffer and Susan Sarandon in this; they are just so believable and fun as a trio of best buddies. The bizarre "Tim Burton" style works extremely well here and George Miller makes this such a well composed movie. The story is incredibly bonkers, but in the best possible way. My favorite part is the three courting scenes in which Jack Nicholson makes each woman into a bomshell version of their previous self.
Fernando Rafael Q

October 26, 2009
ABC's crappy spots for "Eastwick" motivated me to give "THE WITCHES OF EASTWICK" a chance. I found it almost by accident at Blockbuster and decided to rent it, and a few minutes into the movie, I was kinda mad at myself for not doing so before.

The cast is simply incredible. Big name after big name. Huge talent after huge talent, with Jack Nicholson and Veronica Cartwright standing out. The dialogue is brilliant. Even though sometimes it's a campy mess, the exchange between actors, as well as the cinematography, are splendid.
Anthony L

September 24, 2009
Brilliantly bizarre and very entertaining, this is a great film!
Jason S

August 30, 2009
A pretty good movie that suffers from being a little scattered about. I like the over all story and the casting is pretty good as well.
I think it's trouble comes with having so many main characters and trying to tell all their stories with the equal amount of time they all deserve.
LWOODS04
LWOODS04

April 26, 2009
Loved everything about this movie. Love the characters, the story line, and the acting. What a great movie. Jack once again plays a creepy guy. Love seeing him play these kinds of roles.
movieguru12
movieguru12

May 7, 2008
Ridiciously funny. Phonoemenal acting by Cher, Susan Sarandon, and Michelle Phfeiffer. Jack Nicholson made me laugh too. I love it!!!
TheGame90
TheGame90

October 18, 2008
I thought to my self "with Nicholson, Cher, Pfeiffer and that other chick....you can't go wrong"......and boy was I wrong. Nicholson Is allways a safe card but the movie itself.....useless
Emily A

June 17, 2008
This movie is not good, but it gets scored even lower for the promise it carried... and squandered. I mean, it had Sarandon, Pfeiffer and Nicholson as the devil. No one could screw this up without some sort of deliberate attempt to do so. It's hard to pinpoint what it was that I didn't like about this, but the effects seemed cheesy, the acting slightly spastic and most scenes seemed powered by bad ideas. This was just so disappointing.
puffchunk
puffchunk

October 23, 2007
Silly but fun. A film about how the devil interacts with people, but if he were really a person. Not to mention if he were a person you were dating. The film is a bit boring until the crazy lady starts to vomit cherry seeds all over, and then when Jack's three women and he have their scary breakup fight. It gets a bit over the top (like when jack turns into a claymation giant), and the 'men are pigs, women are god's mistake' theme is a bit annoying, but still worth watching for Jack.
Lafe F

July 7, 2007
A hilarious black comedy with Jack Nicholson as the Devil, in a small New England town. He is equalled by three women: Cher, Susan Sarandon and Michelle Pfeiffer, who discover their witch-like powers. Those three ladies get some funny revenge on the Devil for some great comeuppance scenes.
Kylie B

April 2, 2007
Good adaptation of the John Updike novel, though they changed a lot to make it more explicitly supernatural. After all, a lot of the plotlines in the novel just wouldn't work on screen for a mainstream audience.
garyX
garyX

January 1, 2007
Another of those films that are only noteworthy because of Nicholson's presence. I'm clearly in a minority of one, but I thought this was cack. Little more than an episode of Sex In The City with a bit of magic thrown in. One for the ladies, I suspect...
deano
deano

October 23, 2006
Jack Nicholson made a great performance as the Devil who womanising on three beautiful "witches" in this slyest, sexiest supernatural comedy thriller.
Danny R

June 26, 2010
A marvelously colorful and delightful supernatural black comedy based upon the best selling novel by John Updike which is directed with great style by George Miller. Jack Nicholson is a total laugh riot in a brilliantly funny performance as the mysterious Daryl Van Horn; who is Satan on Earth disguised in human form, who arrives in town the very next night after three young modern-day witches, wonderfully played by Cher, Susan Sarandon and Michelle Phfeiffer fantasize and yearn for Mr. Right; their unconscious sorcery summon him, extremely wealthy and irresistible the ladies are seduced by him one by one. There is a priceless scene where Daryl tries to seduce Cher in his bedroom, she asks him who are you? And he replies; i am just your average horny little devil, then while lying on a gigantic bed, he tells her that he always likes a little pussy after lunch, she replies; you are the most unattractive man i have ever met; you are physically repulsive, intellectually retarded, morally reprehensible, vulgar, insensitive, selfish, stupid, you have no taste, no sense of humor and you smell, you're not even interesting enough to make sick. Daryl replies; would you like to be on the top or the bottom; a classic Nicholson moment. Excellent supporting performances by Veronica Cartwright, Richard Jenkins, Jeith Jochim, Carel Strulychen. But it is the hilarious Nicholson thats steals this film hands down in a performance that won him the 1987 New York & Los Angeles Film Critics Best Actor Awards. The film is buoyed by a infectious score by John Williams and gorgeous cinematography by Vilmos Zsigmond. A literate, wickedly funny, scary entertainment. Highly Recommended.
xxdebxx
xxdebxx

October 8, 2011
In the fictional town of Eastwick, single women Alex (Cher), Sukie (Michelle Pfeiffer) and Jane (Susan Sarandon) are bored. They live in a town so boringly respectable they're just dying for something to shake up the place. And that something is Jack Nicholson. Daryl Van Horne (Nicholson) who blows into town, a filthy rich mysterious stranger. He seduces the three before introducing them into a wild, strange world of sex and powerful magic, which ends up having very bad consequences. Evil is seductive, but ultimately destructive!

Nicholson is absolutely hilarious as the self proclaimed "horny little devil" who runs amok through the streets and churches of Eastwick, until the girls finally figure out a way to get their revenge. When it comes to actors playing The Devil, no one is more qualified than Jack Nicholson. With those eyebrows that arch into the air, and that Cheshire cat grin he can do so well, he leers and sneers his way through the film. Put horns and a goatee on him and he would even look a dead ringer for Satan.
Mike T

August 18, 2006
Despite popular belief, I don't think this movie's weirdness works in its favor. It feels confused, scattered and often dim-witted. By the time it had arrived at the beginning of its second act, I was ready to turn it off and watch something else. Nicholson's performance is superb, of course, and he deserves recognition for his acting. On a shallow sidenote, Michelle Pfeiffer was also unbelievably attractive in 1987. That and Nicholson's character work were the only things that kept me slightly engaged. This movie is driven by messy writing, messy direction and mostly messy acting.