20% Transcendence Apr 18

100% Orphan Black: Season 2

The Wonderful Ice Cream Suit Reviews

Lucas M

June 10, 2011
Great! A fantastic and unforgettable film. Fresh.
Adam M

March 21, 2011
More stereotypes than you can shake a pinata stick at. Much of the performances and songs are in your face, mugging it up. But the use of close-ups is very careful and the editing is musical and flowing even when the songs and score are grating. Clifton Collins Jr. is the most sincere and the best of the group, since his expressions and voice convey that he believes, seeing through the hijinks, in all the others.

For me, this fable doesn't conjure up real magic except that you never see the other shoe drop. Anything that might bring the fall from bliss is held beyond the frame without any foreshadowing even. The people don't fight over the suit; it's not rent between them in acrimony; and their camaraderie never succumbs to individual greed or selfishness. The story revolves around the strange idea that a single new object could enter a person's life and convert him/her to brimming pride, complete trust in fate, and celebration of one's imminent opportunities, one's daily surroundings and the life of all humankind.

Visionary pre-credit animated sequence. Very bad video cover, and a lot of this movie felt almost that exasperating, but by the end, it gets across the magic of a certain kind of optimism in the face of the unknown.
iLeo
iLeo

January 20, 2008
Great!
December 3, 2007
What the...? How the heck did I not know about this movie until just now? A film directed by Stuart Gordon (Re-Animator), starring Edward James Olmos (Battlestar Galactica), from a screenplay by Ray Bradbury? It sounds like it was made with me in mind!

It's a cute story. Five fashion-saavy but astonishingly poor Latinos pool their money to buy a beautiful white suit, which they take turns wearing in hopes of increasing their status in the neighborhood. As expected, much hilarity ensues.

The Wonderful Ice Cream Suit is agreeably goofy, slapsticky, family-friendly comedy that kept me smiling all the while (the climactic slow-motion sequence alone is worth the rental), with some stylish (but G-rated) visual flair by Stuart Gordon. This thing's about as substantial as cotton candy, but I found it a fine change of pace from my usual diet of sci-fi, horror, and silent films.
June 19, 2007
Corny, especially Joe Mantegna acting Hispanic. But, overall, the underlying premise makes it worth the time.
December 29, 2013
It's "The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants" for men. But it lacks the charm and heart of the former.
May 30, 2008
Why the freakin' hell was this movie so good to me? Maybe cause Ray Bradbury was behind the original story.
May 9, 2012
Watched this movie all the time when I was a kid and went back and watched it a couple of years ago. Still hasn't lost it's touch and is surprisingly magical.
Lucas M

June 10, 2011
Great! A fantastic and unforgettable film. Fresh.