Wrong Turn 5 - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Wrong Turn 5 Reviews

BG Movie Reviews
½ January 17, 2013

There are three fundamental rules when making a violent horror film:

1. Make sure that any violence in the film is realistic, or, if it isn't, that there is justification for it being unrealistic.

2. Make sure that the film you are making is more story than gore.

3. Make sure that there is actually a decent story to the film.

Wrong Turn 5 makes the stupid mistake of breaking ALL 3 RULES! Having seen only one other film in the series, Wrong Turn 4, I began watching with very low expectations, and I'm glad I did. The general plot says that a bunch of young adults go out to a music festival to get high and the rest of it, but are stopped in their tracks when they crash their car due to a pedestrian waltzing around in the middle of the road. Skip a few boring moments, and you'll find that these kids are now in jail for possession of illegal drugs. They find that the guy they are in jail with is a complete nutter, and is connected to the three cannibals the Wrong Turn series show with pride and confidence, as well as being part of a plan to kill people for the hell of it, and to help the cannibals themselves. This is about all the "plot" that exists in the film.

From the moment the villain says "You won't make it through the night. My boys are coming for me!" it was blatant how the film would end: baddie escapes with cannibals, lots of people die. My prediction was right, and oddly enough this was almost exactly the same with Wrong Turn 4... So, with a predictable story arc, no plot, the only thing the film could rely on to maintain interest were plot twists, humour, or all out realistic gore. So what do they do? Throw in no plot twists, next to no humour, and create some rather unreal gory scenes.

The opening involving removal of a middle finger was amusing admittedly, but the blood coming from said wound was almost black. Last time I saw human blood, I'm pretty sure it was red... Or maybe this is some plot twist for a spin-off series about aliens to try and steal more money from viewers, thinking we won't notice that the films are dreadful...

The other issues with gore was that a lot of it relied upon CGI, which is a major mistake when using blood spurts. If I hit someone on the back of the head with a chisel, I expect a blood pack to burst causing a realistic effect, not a blatently face effect super-glued to the film reel.

The only other major problem with gore in the film was the amazingly stupid logic during a scene where a female character is sliced open, and force fed her own entrails by a cannibal. This scene was clearly for shock, and was rather impressive effect wise. But hang on... The guy doing this is a cannibal. Why would a cannibal waste food by feeding it to the victim when he could easily eat it himself? What did he gain from this? Nothing but a small pay rise is probably the answer...

All in all, Wrong Turn 5 is one of the worst horror films I have ever seen, and makes the late Saw films look like the Shawshank Redemption of horror films. The one thing I really hope is that they don't think it's acceptable to make Wrong Turn 6. Call it quits now, Fox, or get a new director who actually knows how to make a decent film.
½ February 1, 2014
Possibly the best out of the popular horror series. When a group of college students visit the Mountain Man Festival on Halloween night, those familiar cannibals know it's the right time to make an appearance and kill some unlucky kids! Ok, so its all familiar now but if you are a horror fan then Wrong Turn 5 has what you need; gore, good kills, some jumpy bits, sex and a good looking main cast(including British hottie Roxanne McKee) as well as a decent turn from horror icon Doug "Pinhead" Bradley. The musics also pretty cool. Much better than 4 in pretty much every way, Wrong Turn 5 is actually quite a fun, exciting, gory little horror!
November 25, 2012
The absolute worst of the series, Wrong Turn 5 does a disservice even to a direct-to-video series. It is silly and stupid looking from the opening scene until the very last. Crappy as crappy gets...
½ November 11, 2012
One of the critic reviews says: "Cheap, dumb, and not even remotely scary -- but it has lots of crazy kills and nasty splatter, which is why it exists." As much as I shudder to think that I might agree with a critic, that pretty much sums it up nicely. Ya do hafta love insane, cannibalistic hillbillies running over dudes with giant snow blowers though. As long as they keep making these, I'll keep watching them.
September 9, 2012

Wrong Turn 5 is a step down from the 1st obviously, a step up from the second and third, but a step down from the fourth. This one is probably the craziest, bloodiest one yet. The characters are all really stupid, and the ones that you actually care for and you want to live die. There are a lot of cool kills, and the hillbillies are just getting more annoying in each movie. The one hillbilly freak that laughs is just annoying, and the other two look like cavemen. I did enjoy this I guess, even though I was not pleased with the ending, but I guess this one is just setting us up for another Wrong Turn. Don't go out of your way to see this, I found it on YouTube for free, so I suggest that, or I guess you could rent it.
October 21, 2015
Poorly acted ,directed,written Wrong turn 5 is the worst film in the franchise.
½ September 9, 2015
They've finally come about that Wrong Turn has turned into a parody of itself, and this time it fits the description. but the ending is quite well-deserved.
½ August 3, 2015
Boasting a sadistic performance from genre icon Doug Bradley as the father of the inbreeding cannibalistic clan of villains, Wrong Turn 5: Bloodlines continues the series' thrilling resurgence with a series of brutal kills and the always welcome setting around Halloween.
April 15, 2015
I tried to watch this and I want my wasted time back!
July 13, 2014
Warning: Do not watch any movie with this Title, worst film of all time!
June 30, 2014
It begin like a movie B but the surprises in the scenario and the good actress camilla arfwedson (Sheriff of the town) make a good movie finally !
½ June 9, 2014
weakest of the franchise, at least 6 is getting a new director
May 30, 2014
It's an important movie that gets you thinking. This one had me wondering who's a bigger loser: any professional associating him/herself with this abomination or idiots like myself who keep coming back for more. This is the 5th in the series and I've watched them all for Christ's sake. You'd think by now the whole thing would've settled down nicely somewhere between The Hills Have Eyes and Hatchet but nope. Definitely not funny, nothing really shocking, all shit. There's not a redeeming factor to be found anywhere. There's blood and guts, sure, but nothing we've never seen before. The ending is bleak enough so that's something. The first Wrong Turn starring Faith from Buffy was cool, though that was ten years ago. That's that. I don't recall a worse script. Gremlins makes more sense. Terrible, terrible dialogue. Wrong Turn 6 is currently in production. Fuck my life.
½ May 5, 2014
Just a complete joke. The characters suck, the inbreds are so unrealistic looking, there is no logic AT ALL, and it has horrible pacing. Easily the worst in the series by far.
April 6, 2014
This movie contains 80% of sex and 20% of what it used to be in the series. The plot is pretty much changed anyways, and now its the time of Halloween party and the cannibals have no problems whatsoever walking through the streets. Though many sequences looks like this movie is transformed into a comedy one, still the nasty kills and gore is offered which is why this movie series exists.
½ January 23, 2014
With all the starving people in the world, why would someone waste time and money on this film? I felt bad just watching it.
November 9, 2013
Don't fall for the 16% rating. Wrong Turn 5 is a horrible horrible movie.
It deserves a -10000% rating.
½ October 15, 2013
It starts off okay, obviously not the best in the series (which honestly would be something easy to do if they did a film right) but by the end, it ends up feeling completely off and bland. It's more of the same crap, a bit better humor, and a wrong turn for the characters. Decent gore effects, mediocre story, and the ending is pretty bad. Waste of a sequel, and does little to help the franchise.
October 3, 2013
The only justification I can find for this movie even existing is that me and my mates had a lot of fun ripping it to shreds when we watched it after a few beers. I'd imagine it would be a career killer for everybody involved.
September 21, 2013
Don't watch this. EVER!........