Yellowbrickroad Reviews

LWOODS04
½ July 6, 2010
Cast:Cassidy Freeman, Laura Heisler, Lee Wilkof, Anessa Ramsey, Clark Freeman, Alex Draper, Tara Giordano, Michael Laurino, Sam Elmore

Director:Jesse Holland, Andy Mitton

Summary: In this indie horror offering from writer-directors Jesse Holland and Andy Mitton, a small team of explorers heads into the New Hampshire wilderness to investigate an unexplained disappearance that happened some 70 years earlier. No one knows why the residents of Friar made a collective decision to leave their homes -- without their money, their clothes or a word about where they'd gone. But the truth could be stranger than fiction.

My Thoughts: "Long, boring, and absolutely no thrills or scares. At least not for me. I had a hard time keeping my fingers from pressing the stop button. An antagonizing film that just leaves you frustrated for renting it in the first place. But that's what I get for being intrigued by a title and cover of a DVD. The story may have been better if directed and acted by different people. But it wasn't and that's why I would rather watch an episode of Barney then to have to sit through this film again."
themoviewaffler.com
January 29, 2012
This movie has a great premise; in the thirties the residents of a small town disappeared after wandering on a trail. Now a documentary team discover the location of the trail and set off themselves to investigate, becoming more and more unhinged as they go. This promising idea is ruined by amateurish acting and directing and awful effects. A rare case of a movie that could be improved with a big budget remake.
July 5, 2013
The only thing disturbing about this movie is that someone actually agreed to make it. I understand that it's an independent film, written, directed, and starring first timers, but anyone who read this script had to have known it just wouldn't work! Don't get me wrong, the story they had was extremely solid, and they could have taken it in a million different directions, any other direction than the one they took. The story starts 70 years ago, when an entire town randomly decides to follow a path into the woods and are never heard from again. The FBI investigated, covered up whatever they found, and kept the whole area off limits, until a random group of people decide to investigate for themselves and write a book about their experiences. First of all, this group of people have no connection to the town, people, or even each other, so why do this? Second, for 70 years the FBI has kept the area off limits to everyone, so what makes this group so special? These idiots march into the woods and the only thing they find is music playing, music that gets progressively louder until it drives them insane. The music is from the Wizard of Oz, but the producers were too cheap to buy the rights to the music from the Wizard of Oz, so it's very similar melodies with different words that nearly drove me to insanity. These idiots romp through the woods makes the Blair Witch Project look like an Oscar worthy film by comparison. It's a lot of talking, and crying, and yelling, that leads to an ending that is by far one of the dumbest fucking things I have ever seen. The ending is the strangest part of all, in that it builds up and plays like it's some huge twist, which maybe it would have been had it made any sense at all. The acting was terrible, the direction was all over the place, and the film destroys the story worst than Paula Deen destroyed her career. This is one film you should absolutely avoid!
July 16, 2012
I liked this one. It just kept me wondering throughout the whole thing. A very good psychological horror flick.
Ryan M
August 8, 2011
3.5/10

Whenever I write a negative review for a low-budget, independently-made horror film, I'm not lacking in encouragement towards the filmmakers. By all means, I do encourage indie films to be made in spite of their flaws. They can lead to eventual success. Or they can lead to more failure. And if they make money, that's great. There are many horror fans and they eat these kinds of films right up. I've seen indie horror films that are possible to like as well as ones that are possible to despise. And now, "YellowBrickRoad" decides to come along, and it's a particularly unpleasant experience.

But that's the point, right? The film is supposed to be atmospheric and unsettling. It is very-much interested in its setting, but not so much for its characters. Shame about that; here is a film that has a pretty good premise, but it runs the formula that it's based around into the ground. It's not fun to watch and it's not necessarily deserving of all the attention it's been getting. But it doesn't surprise me that the folks at Bloody Disgusting, the popular website devoted to horror films, did most of the advertising. But in the end of the day, that doesn't mean too much.

In Friar New Hampshire, it is said that the ENTIRE population of the place just walked out of town and into the woods; following a trail that they believe will lead them to some sort of God. They never returned. And nobody knows just what happened to them, but that's why a film crew goes hiking on this trail to uncover the truth; as all curious movie-hikers do.

It's been seventy years since all the people disappeared, so maybe whatever got them isn't in the woods anymore. But that doesn't matter. What matters is that the film's cast of characters goes on this journey into the depths of the woods anyways; without questioning, and without reasoning. I would have just stayed away.

The film has two directors. One of them is Jesse Holland, and the other is Andy Mitton. The two also wrote the film together. As directors, the two men seem to focus a lot on characterizing their forest rather than the human beings hiking in it. Expect some bleak, but somewhat beautiful shots of the wilderness and such, but not much more. I wouldn't tell you not to see the film, and if you do see it, you might want to just for what the filmmakers are trying to do.

However, trying and doing have never been the same thing, and this is why "YellowBrickRoad" fails so miserably. What it tries to do is build tension and atmosphere rather than use just a whole lot of blood-and-gore, but this approach is almost becoming a pretension among filmmakers. Some people can make a film that is good, and doesn't need gore; others cannot. For instance, Ti West's "The House of the Devil" was all build-up, and yes, it did have a bloody finale. But I liked that film for reasons other than the ones that pertain to why I dislike this one. It gets what makes a good, tense thriller and what makes a bad one. The directors are too inexperienced to glorify this material and bring it to anything worth talking about. The result is overly talky and overlong (and I say that in spite of the nearly-100 minute run-time, which isn't long at all, but oh boy: it certainly feels like it is).

In the end, the film didn't give me enough reasons why I should be awake. There's one scene that literally attacks the viewer with sounds, sight, and insane madness. This scene was meant to be artsy, much like the rest of the film, but instead it's just trying to keep us awake by force; and that's bad, bad, bad. The flick is nothing more than a very, very bad excuse to show people going into the woods, investigating, going mad, and killing each other. There aren't enough good reasons to go on this long, treacherous walk in the woods. Save yourself some time and attention and see something like, say, "Insidious". If this year continues as it is, for the horror genre, then it's going to be as bleak as an independently-filmed trail in the forest.
August Seria
½ July 28, 2011
The premise is not that fresh, the pacing is so slow, the deaths are ridiculous and so is the enigmatic ending.
Francisco G.
½ August 27, 2011
A cross between Blair Witch and Session 9 (if you haven't enjoyed neither, you won't like this for sure) with a nice slow pace that has an intriguing premise and delivers for the most part, though the last act is overly long and fails to creep you out like the first "crazy" moments. Could be much better if the last act kept the rythm of the middle section and if that ending was explored a bit more (though keeping it vague and in lines with Oz's mythology tone was a wise decision),
December 30, 2013
Whiny women, doofus men & a kickass sound effect lead to nothing. It tried to be surreal & fizzled out...
August 7, 2013
I only got 50 minutes into it. At first the story was interesting, but I got fed up with the acting. The directing was great, but the soundtrack ruined the intense parts.
June 28, 2013
Despite us tagging along the trail for days, we feel closer to the landscape than to the characters.
½ December 12, 2012
I do appreciate that this is a low budget film and it was shot and editted very well. However, I just didn't really enjoy it. I felt like it was much too long for what we got which was mostly walking. The ending sequence was cool, but I just wish we could have gotten there sooner.
½ February 13, 2012
Psychological horror shows promise, but towards the middle, the characters start to grate on you and the film begins to lag. They do get an extra 1/2 star, though, for NOT going with the "found footage" approach.
December 31, 2011
A bizarre and offbeat psychological horror movie with some pretty big flaws. The length feels staggering given the subject matter and extremely slowly burning plot, and it leaves so many unanswered questions that the movie almost has no payoff.
December 17, 2011
This film is too disjointed and confusing for me to feel justified in giving it a rave review, but there's something strangely fascinating about it nonetheless. Really, my biggest problem with it was the incredibly fake New England accents. Why can no one pull those off? But besides that, I thought this was well-acted, and although it's painfully obvious the budget was almost nonexistent, this is quite a well-made independent film. Don't watch it if you don't enjoy movies that are hard to follow, though, or if you think a huge budget is necessary for an entertaining movie.
½ November 29, 2011
this has to be THE worst film I have ever seen. almost fell asleep in the first 30 minutes, oh how I wish I had. A complete waste of time. Hell, I`m wasting my time even writing about it. Not any more.
½ November 12, 2011
Low budget and longwinded, this sci-fi/horror thriller tries to be too much like Blair Witch and takes forever to make its point. Some spooky moments though, as a team of filmmakers set out to produce a documentary about a mysterious trail which leads people to my favorite place: Oblivion.
August 20, 2015
Very creepy film that leaves you with an unsettled feeling for quite a while after watching. Would definitely view again.
September 5, 2014
A college student's summer art project at best.
July 24, 2014
It was ok. Sort of like a Bermuda Triangle in the middle of this forest they all go walking through. Eventually they all start to lose their minds. It came off at times as a Sci-Fi made for Tv movie. The story seemed pretty aimless too.
½ May 20, 2014
It's a strange movie, i'll admit it, but it is a hidden gem. This movie is intentionally vague and nonsensical as it explores the human psyche. Who's to say what really happened there on the Yellowbrickroad. All you can know for sure is that as you lose your way on the Yellowbrickroad, you also lose your sanity.