64% The Maze Runner Sep 19

Young Sherlock Holmes Reviews

Bathsheba Monk
Bathsheba Monk

September 21, 2012
I might have loved this more if I didn't love Sherlock Holmes. But, I do. The plot seemed hopelessly contrived and the acting--with the notable exception of Watson--wooden. The sets were good, though, as were the costumes.
Anthony L

September 3, 2012
Young Sherlock Holmes was the must see film when I was at school in 1985. I remember it was the first film where I really appreciated the special effects, the scene where the stain-glass window comes to life in particular. I believe it was the first big gig for Pixar that really got them started, it still looks good now. I did enjoy the film, then and on recent re-watch but I think it's a little disrespectful to Arthur Conan Doyle's story, forgivable but a little bit naughty. It's obviously been a huge influence to J.K. Rowling too, funny how Chris Columbus wrote this and then went on to direct Harry Potter, I can't help but think the Conan Doyle estate have a good case here (no s**t Sherlock).
AJ V

December 19, 2011
Described as "fan-fiction" by my Sherlock Holmes book fan brother, and by me as "a good kids movie". Yes, the film makes it perfectly clear, twice, that this story is not part of any of the books about Holmes, or anything written by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle at all. But that doesn't make it a horrible movie. It has some good action scenes, and it's structured as a normal kids mystery movie with both foreseen and unforeseen twists at the end. I'm not saying it was a good movie either, though. It has its share of boring talky scenes, but at least they made me laugh sometimes. Overall, it's an okay movie, not too bad, but not good either.
RCCLBC
RCCLBC

August 16, 2010
Not nearly as interesting and fun as I remembered it.
366weirdmovies
366weirdmovies

October 10, 2009
A schoolboy Sherlock, with a fussy young Watson in tow, investigates a series of murders by an occult group who use a hallucinogenic drug to justify the film's special effects budget. Good, overlooked Spielberg-produced adventure for kids, and the aforementioned hallucination scenes are well-done and creepy.
Dean !

May 25, 2009
A great all too little known film from '86. Set in Sherlock Holmes school days setting the story background as he becomes the worlds most famous detective. I remember seeing this at the cinema and is just the sort of film full of action and adventure everyone should love. Steven Spielberg was involved in the production and it shows. This film has a feel to it like the Mummy and Indiana Jones films. It also has some very good SFX for the time. If you have missed this film then you are missing out, track it down!
garyX
garyX

May 21, 2007
Decent reinvention of the classic detective, seeing him solve his first crime as a schoolboy. It ups the action side of things to appeal to fans of The Goonies and it's ilk, and features some surreal hallucinatory moments and unfriendly natives that reflect the more sensationalist facets of Conan Doyle's original stories. All in all a fun, atmospheric swashbuckler for kids.
sainttom93
sainttom93

July 5, 2007
This is a very good Pre-quel to the other Sherlock Holmes stories -- I'm sorry we haven't seen more of the Cox boy -- He was a first rate actor in this
Jason S

January 30, 2007
A great adventure following a young detective on his first real case.
Todd S

December 7, 2007
I am by no means a fan of Sherlock Holmes, but being that this was a collaboration between Spielberg, Columbus, & Levinson, I had to give it a shot. They make it clear from the beginning that everything is speculation, nothing comes from the works of Arthur Conan Doyle and that the whole premise of the movie is as a tribute, one I think he would have been very happy with. The story is a classic Holmes mystery and showing them as kids instead of well established investigators gave the story a whole new life. It's a fresh perspective on Sherlock Holmes that I really enjoyed.
DrStrangeblog
DrStrangeblog

October 22, 2012
Strangely enough the birthplace of modern digital effects. Tron began the digitization of the celluloid screen, but Young Sherlock Holmes first blended animated objects and creatures into the everyday world and not just in some abstract universe. The results, like the stained-glass knight, were eye-popping in their day.
Sunil J

May 28, 2008
Pretty dark and interesting. I love Sherlock Holmes.
Marion R

October 13, 2008
This is awesome! I love this movie
jim222001us
jim222001us

August 27, 2007
Sherlock Holmes meets Watson at college. Soon after they meet, they are working together to solve a mystery. This is a charming movie with a good story. It almost even plays like a Harry Potter movie "without the magic" eventhough it was made years before a Potter book was even written.
dolorescosby16
September 29, 2012
I had know idea this film was made in 1985; it explains the low budget graphics and special effects.
June 16, 2012
With Steven Spielberg in the producing chair it should come as no real susprise that 1985s YOUNG SHERLOCK HOLMES as a definite Indiana Jones influence to it - most specifically Spielberg's most recent entry (at that time) into the popular frnachise INDIANA JONES AND THE TEMPLE OF DOOM. Nowhere is this more evident than in the ancient hidden temple setting where our young heroes uncover much of the villains evil plot.
For a Sherlockian the movie is a curious anomaly, but incredibly entertaining. We know from the books of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle that Dr. Watson met Sherlock Holmes when both were in adulthood, yet this movie poses the irresistible `what-if' they had met earlier when both were in boarding school.
As one would expect with a movie from Spielberg's Amblin company, this movie is very colorful and filed with dazzling special effects - courtesy of Industrial Light and Magic. The plot essentially takes a back seat to the fun of spotting Holmesian references, watching his already developing deductive intellect solving puzzles and rooting for a bittersweet, blossoming romance between Holmes (played by Nicholas Rowe of LA FEMME MUSKETEER) and Elizabeth (Sophie Ward).
For what it's worth the central plot involves a poisoned darts, hallucinations, DaVinci inventions, a strange Egyptian religious cult and a mysterious secret several distinguished men have kept buried for years. It all makes for some very Spielbergesque style adventure entertainment that director Barry (RAIN MAN) Levinson manages to weave into an enjoyable and intriguing movie.
Sherlockian purists will likely find this premise hard to swallow, but as a diehard fan of the Great Detective, I for one had a great time with this movie.
Unquestionably the chracterization of Watson is influenced more by the Rathbone-Bruce movies of the 1930s and 1940s than Conan Doyles novels with this movie featuring Alan Cox in the part of the future doctor, a role he handles well with warmth and good humor.
Also of note in this movie is some wonderful period costumes and impressive sets.
With doses of mystery, fantasy, intrigue and adventure this movie is easy to recommend, not only for Sherlockians but for those of us who simply enjoy good, solid, fun movies.
April 3, 2012
Didn't have high expectations for this one but I have to admit it wasn't bad. The acting for such young actors was quite good and the story-line was interesting enough. The graphics are a bit dated but for such an old movie were not all that bad. If you enjoy 80s movies than this one is good enough for your time.
MetalMario2
June 17, 2008
I expected this to be a silly kiddy film, but was pleasantly surprised. The story and characters are strong and well developed, and on the whole, it's quite enjoyable.
StairwayToTheStars
December 14, 2007
I liked it more then I thought I would. It was really neat the way Sherlock Holmes could figure things out, I really liked in the beginning when Watson and him first met and he guessed all that about Watson. 'Tis sad Elizabeth died though. I also felt really sorry for those older men that had hallucinations and were killed. Anyway, I really like this movie.
JubeiKibigami
February 11, 2008
I am not sure what to say about this movie. It takes place with a Young Holmes and Watson meeting up at school. They go on a mystery, and get a DArt in the Neck.... lol, Hallucinations killing people , and no one knows for sure who is behind the sudden lunacy of sane citizens. As an added bonus if you are trying to Diet, this movie will give you a new outlook on how Bad JunkFood is.