You're Gonna Miss Me - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

You're Gonna Miss Me Reviews

½ March 31, 2008
Was it the drug usage that transformed him from a rock pioneer into an incoherent burnout, or was it the preexisting schizophrenia? Was it the treatments that he received in the hospitals, or was it simply the fact that he was locked up in these hospitals? These questions really can't be answered, and the documentary does not attempt to do so. What it does do is present the man's life story from the beginning of his musical career up until the present leaving it up to the viewer to come to his or her own conclusions about this tragic turn of events.
February 19, 2009
A fascinating doc about Roky Erickson, the singer for '13th floor elevators'. Very similar to the doc 'Devil in Daniel Johnston' and just as good.
March 4, 2009
Well deserved recognition for a very underrated psychedelic master even if it delves mainly into his sanity more than anything.
August 2, 2008
aa story about a life that's as tragic as it is enigmatic. very interesting character that roky is. what his brother is trying to do for him towards the end just scream exploitation to me rather than sincerity.
½ January 13, 2008
An interesting look at Roky Erickson. Being that I like his music and work in the mental health field, this one really hit home for me.
December 4, 2007
Weird, sad, tragic and real story of ruined musical talent. If you liked The Devil and Daniel Johnston, you should watch this movie.
July 17, 2007
You like awesome 60s music? Then check this out. Roky Erickson was one of the first psychedelic rock artists and it definitely took its toll on him.
Not as good as The Devil And Daniel Johnston (which played the same year at SXSW), but worth a look.
July 26, 2013
Very interesting film, and plenty depressing. But while I respect the filmmakers' decision to put across the complexity of Erikson's situation, I wish they had dug a little deeper into Roky himself. As we see him, he's a fascinating enigma, but I get the feeling they left out a whole lot. The film is only 90 minutes; it should be longer. That said, it's an interesting watch. If you care at all for music made in the past 40 years, you need to realize what an inspiration this guy was, and continues to be, for musicians across the board. That alone should be reason enough to see it.
June 20, 2013
Sad, disturbing study of musician Roky Erickson and his family.
April 12, 2013
You're Gonna Miss Me (Keven McAlester, 2005)

You're Gonna Miss Me, which looks at the post-musical life (one cannot call it a career) of psych-rock pioneer and legendary schizophrenic Roky Erickson, is one of the most harrowing things I have ever seen on celluloid. It is also well-nigh incoherent, and since I watched it I've spent a good deal of time weighing whether this was intentional on the part of McAlester (The Dungeon Masters), as a kind of mirroring of Erickson's own thought processes, or whether that even matters (as clever/possibly brilliant as the idea is). I've come to the reluctant conclusion that it doesn't, and that something a little more straightforward would've gotten the job done a lot better than this did-which I rush to add in no way mitigates the straight-up creep factor this movie produces, which is almost unheard-of in the documentary realm.

We begin with an arresting scene, in which Roky's little brother Sumner Erickson is testifying that he, not their mother, should be Roky's legal guardian, alleging that, basically, she's messed him up for the past thirty-five years. Powerful stuff. We then trade off scenes of Roky's life today with documentary bits about the rise and fall of the 13th Floor Elevators and the Aliens. (We eventually come back round to that courtroom scene towards the end of the film, after we've gotten to know Roky's mother even better than we've gotten to know Roky.) Pretty basic documentary technique, but (a) the historical bits seem almost unfinished; there's little snippets of interviews at the beginning with big-name folks like Patti Smith and Billy Gibbons, but those die off pretty quickly, and (b) the present-day bits featuring Roky seem as if they're there solely to create that creeptastic atmosphere, as contrasted to the present-day bits featuring Roky's mother, which are equally creeptastic, but at least move the story forward.

But my ultimate complaint is that the film raises a lot of questions, and then never even attempts to answer any of them. The most obvious is how much of Roky's current state has to do with his incredible, massive drug abuse, how much has to do with the electroshock treatments he was subjected to while locked up in an asylum, and how much is genetic. (I'm no psychologist, but it seems to me you can't watch this movie and not come away well aware that crazy runs deep in the Erickson family.) Perhaps there is no real answer, at least not a definitive one, but no one even tries. We get a lot of bitter sniping from various family members, all of which goes nowhere. Etc. There are a lot of very interesting threads to be found here, but all are left ragged and incomplete.

With a little more planning, a little more asking of the right questions, this could have been one of the great musical documentaries of all time. As it is, it's remarkably like the music of Roky Erickson and the Aliens-a curiosity that seems earnest, but that still has someone in the background looking at how to best hook the rubes come to look at the freaks. ***
½ September 13, 2011
Sometimes people do great things in their lives & are true pioneers but they were so far ahead they will never be well known for the things they done.

Roky Erickson is one of those people & this documentary is a tough watch but it is well worth it
August 28, 2012
he is touring again... which is fucking amazing.
April 27, 2012
Engrossing film about Roky Erickson - one time singer for 13th Floor Elevators. Drugs, schizophrenia and a damaged family upbringing contribute to Roky's strange spiral downward into obscurity and poverty with his omnipresent and bizarre mother. The DVD has bonus footage that gives a more positive closure to his story and shows Roky in a much happier, healthier place.
November 2, 2011
Sad to see a musical genius deteriorate like that.
½ March 10, 2011
for and hour and a half this movie seemed really long and somewhat uneventful speckled with some sporadically interesting camera work.
June 25, 2007
This film blew me away, i loved how it showed the good and dark sides of Roky and how messed up he was. You'd think that you would never come accross this dvd or want to waste time watching it, but a friend of mine went to a showing and she convinced me to buy the dvd. It really changed the way i view life and i'd definitely see it again. Kevin McAlester is an awesome director and i love all his documentaires.