ZMD: Zombies of Mass Destruction Reviews

July 19, 2011
So much unnecessary human drama. It's a Zombie film not General Hospital.
October 4, 2010
Somewhat entertaining if you, like me, are addicted to zombie films. The makeup is often sub-par, but the acting level is much higher than most Z-movies. There are also some really impressive (non-action) gore installations. Available on Netflix Instant Watch, so check it there if you're a zombie addict.
flixsterman
November 23, 2009
Campy pseudo-horror that tries to be scary, funny and hip. 0 for 3. What ZMD does manage to do is insult Muslims, gays and legitimate genre films. This is an hour and a half of your life that you are going to want back.
RCCLBC
½ August 16, 2010
A love a good zombie film. Sadly this wasn't very good.

The "gore" was "student film" quality as was most fo the acting and writing.

Two stars for making the three "main characters" (and survivors) a gay couple and an Iranian girl and a half star for actually killing a kid on screen TWICE!
June 29, 2010
Good fun and very gory but its no Shaun of the dead! Acting could of been better and the ending did'nt do the movie any favours. Worth a look if you like zombie movies.
nickymo89
½ November 22, 2010
As a zombie lover, I really wanted to like this but I didn't. Missed all the marks, offensively bad writing, and just flat, flat, flat. Bad makeup, lousy gore, not scary, not funny, and not heart pounding. Other than that.....
October 24, 2010
I thought it was pretty funny and gruesome. A worthwhile watch!
iLeo
½ October 17, 2010
Wow, what can I say about this zombie flick. Initially, my presumption was that this would be an interesting one , considering that it was included within the "Eight Films to Die For" series but I was in for a surprise. The overall effects were about so-so, but it was the character dialogue that was absolutely tacky. Normally, I would overlook this by the outrun of the action sequences and story plot but it barely sufficed. The few individuals who survived the ordeal were a bit interesting, but the overall story plot was ridiculous and offensive. Given that the zombie outbreak resulted of some form of a viral attack, but to connect it with some form of Muslim terrorist factor? Really, and to include the post-9/11 event as a forum- well, some may find that of interest but the overall story plot would have been better directed in another central form.
Janette Armand, Doug Fahl, Cooper Hopkins, Russell Hodgkinson, and Bill Johns stars. Recommendation: Hmmm.....it's your call here but, assuredly one of the worse "Eight Films to Die For" movie.
John2223
June 27, 2010
If you are into the genre there basically is no reason why you shouldn't watch this movie. It's definitely better than the average low-budget zombie-flick.
A funny, gory, decent and entertaining zombie flick.
½ November 10, 2011
While most will compare it to Shaun of the Dead or even Evil Dead, ZMD: Zombies of Mass Destruction suffers from an identity crisis, rehashing many films and spilling out satire out of every orifice. The humor that was supposed to come out of this film, seemed a bit forced which had me wondering when the onslaught was going to ensue. Now I'm not calling this film bad, it had some redeeming qualities, most notably the zombies and the carnage that erupted when they made themselves known. One scene involving one of the main characters and a little girl came out of nowhere and made the film even more enjoyable. I literally said, "Wha...?" when it came about. Our heroes (a Iranian girl and a gay couple) of the film were an unlikely pair and it added that touch of flavor to the script. Let's just say this film reminded me of the video "Black Hole Sun" by Soundgarden.
½ January 10, 2011
Nothing too much for the zombie genre, but I didi like the fact that it was kept on an island and not a nationwide epidemic. The acting was pretty good and had some good gore moments, but otherwise a decent zombie movie.
October 14, 2010
As author Carol J. Clover points out in Men, Women, and Chain Saws: Gender in the Modern Horror Film that one of the main attractions of horror movies is the level of predictability that they generally offer audiences. Given the recent proliferation of certain "horror" movie subject matter - specifically, vampires and zombies - the challenge for filmmakers becomes walking the fine line between providing an acceptable and enjoyable degree of predictability and creating a film that is, well, too predictable.

Films like writer/director Kevin Hamedani's ZMD: Zombies of Mass Destruction, released on DVD last week, attempt to overcome the predictability hurdle by combining traditional elements of zombie horror films with some degree of new subject matter. In the case of ZMD, Hamedani offers just the right amount of twist on the usual zombie tale by combining the prevalent American fear of terrorism with a zombie tale, throwing in a touch of comedic effect for good measure. The result? An entertaining, albeit poorly acted, story about a handful of people struggling to survive a zombie outbreak in the quiet island town of Port Gamble.

Each of the characters featured in Hamedani's film are variations of general horror movie character types:

The Righteous Priest

Generally a closet homosexual or other "sinner" himself, the righteous priest is often preoccupied with saving the souls of those individuals transformed into zombies and usually meets his end while trying to convert or exorcise a parish member or local resident as he or she tries to munch on his flesh. Righteous priests often focus on the zombie outbreak as God's punishment for sins committed by those infected and count themselves among those destined to be saved. Despite the righteous priest's faulty logic and terrible decision making, audiences are subjected to his chastising and pontificating for a sizeable portion of the film as he condemns "sinners" and congratulates the righteous members of his community. Unfortunately for the righteous priest, this fact simply makes his inevitable death more enjoyable for viewers.

The Misled Elderly Man/Woman

Usually a parishioner or friend of the righteous priest, the misled elderly man or woman generally believes that he or she will not be affected by the zombie outbreak because of their religious beliefs and purity of heart and mind. Unfortunately, zombies aren't punishment from God and the righteous don't always survive the attacks, so the misled elderly man and/or woman often become zombie munchies before half the film is over.

The Closet Homosexual

The closet homosexual is often more prevalent in horror movies that feature characters like the righteous priest and the misled elderly man/woman. In this scenario, the closet homosexual, or homosexuals, stand tall in defiance of what their fellow characters believe, mainly that "sinners" are the only ones affected by the zombie plague and that the outbreak is punishment sent by God to separate the righteous from the impure. In some cases, the closet homosexual provides comic relief by "acting like a girl" while other male characters take the zombie outbreak as an opportunity to "man up."

The Sexy Schoolgirl

When it comes to horror movies (and especially zombie films), being a young, attractive female generally means one of two things: either a) the hot chick will miraculously survive despite being ill-prepared for a zombie plague, or b) the sexy schoolgirl - in this case, a Princeton dropout named Frida (Janette Armand) - will suffer for her beauty (and whatever sexual transgressions she may or may not commit during the course of the movie) and die a horrible death at the hands (and teeth) of the undead. In the case of ZMD: Zombies of Mass Destruction, Frida is more than the average sexy schoolgirl, although she is placed in several of the situations that the sexy schoolgirl stereotypically faces in zombie movies: i.e., the zombies-ate-my-boyfriend scenario, the nerdy-boy-please-save-me scenario, etc. This time the sexy schoolgirl is complicated by her heritage as an Iranian-American and the resulting racism and even torture that she faces at the hands of the ignorant hick.

The Ignorant Hick

Although he may not know why the dead are coming back to life, the ignorant hick enjoys the widespread panic created by a zombie outbreak and takes pleasure in killing any and all zombies that get in his way. At first glance, Woody Harrelson's character, Tallahassee, in Zombieland could be characterized as an ignorant hick, but Hamedani's terrorist-obsessed, mentally unstable redneck Joe Miller (Russell Hodgkinson) is a much better example of this zombie movie staple. The ignorant hick tends to live much longer than the audience might expect given his stereotypical paranoid nature, his interest in guns, guns, and more guns, as well as the excessive displays of violence and destruction that he is responsible for in many cases.

The Secretly Violent Schoolteacher

The secretly violent schoolteacher featured in ZMD: Zombies of Mass Destruction - a hippie high school teacher named Cheryl Banks (Cornelia Moore) - is a stand-in for any secretly violent character that appears in a zombie movie. The occupation of that character isn't what's important; the secretly violent schoolteacher, gym teacher, cheerleading coach, church organist, elderly neighbor, restaurant owner, etc. stands for several things in the average zombie film, including the lengths that humans will go to for self-preservation as well as the breakdown of carefully constructed personal images that is incited by zombie outbreaks (or, in some cases, the zombie apocalypse).

Overall, ZMD: Zombies of Mass Destruction is well worth renting if you don't want to splurge on a DVD that you haven't seen yet. ZMD was released as one of the "Eight Films to Die For" DVD collection and is available wherever DVDs are sold. As a zombie film fan, I highly recommend taking a bite out of Hamedani's film, as long as you can stomach a lot of disgusting gore and a few small segments of terrible acting. If you take the film for what it is - a relatively low-budget, interesting zombie movie - you're sure to enjoy watching the characters as they make their way around the zombie-infested island of Port Gamble.
April 7, 2010
Funniest zombie movie since Shawn of the Dead. There are some good running gags with the two gay guys, and the girl everyone thinks is a terrorist. Watch the preview online to see if it might be for you.
August 24, 2014
A brilliantly original horror/action flick that delivers gore, character and fun. Delving into themes not yet touched on by the society devouring genre, this is surprisingly one of the better zombie movies you can find.
½ May 1, 2014
This is a story about a xenophobic small island town under a biological
attack or zombie virus outbreak attack by a militant terrorist group
from the you know where.
½ April 30, 2014
Low budget zombie comedy. Fun stuff. The ending was a bit meh, but still a decent little movie.
½ December 27, 2013
Pretty good Zombie Satire. Although it takes a while to get going. Some really nice gore though.
March 30, 2013
Port Gamble is the setting for what may be a new late-night classic zombie parody. Small town politics, gays, red-necks, Arabs, and even Mothers are fodder to chomp on. No body is safe!
½ March 3, 2013
i loved this movie! it made my day! it was dramatic, funny and best of all..... full of dark comedy! the best kind! i don't want to spoil it for anyone who hasn't seen it, but i really do recommend it! you, of course need to be able to stand through extreme violence and gore to watch it! 4 and 1/2 stars!
December 22, 2012
Zombies of Mass Destruction is possibly the worst movie I have ever seen. I‚(TM)m not sure if it was supposed to be a ‚B‚? Sci-Fi channel movie but it wasn‚(TM)t even that good. There was really no plot, no point, poorly developed characters, and just an overall bad attempt at a movie. Don‚(TM)t ever watch this movie unless you want to laugh at a poor excuse for anything. I literally felt like I was watching a soap opera with zombies. I will tell you right now, Zombies of Mass Destruction gets the WillyT Seal of DISapproval.
There really is no story so I will just rant and talk about what was wrong with this movie. A gay man and his boyfriend go to his mother‚(TM)s house to come out of the closet. He tries to find the words and when he finally does his mother is already a zombie. How was this possible? There was no zombie to begin within the house. And if a zombie did take a bite out of her why would it just leave? Wouldn‚(TM)t it just finish the job? This movie just makes no sense at all. The son ends up pinning her up against the wall. She escapes, of course, and the two decide to make a run for it. One grabs a weed whacker and just goes to town.
A young woman comes home and she is Iranian, I think, and her neighbors are racist white trash. She goes on a date with some guy and he ends up being the first one bitten. ‚It‚(TM)s my blood.‚? He screams as he bleeds out. I lost it. It was too funny. This has to be the worst special effects I have ever seen in a zombie movie. The movie itself starts with a blind man poking around and he stumbles upon a zombie and he inevitably gets eaten. It was the stupidest beginning to a movie.
I‚(TM)m not going to lie. I turned this movie off. After the girl goes into the basement with the white trash family, the wife gets bitten, and on the news we find out that the zombie attack is because of Iraq. That‚(TM)s right, Iraq has the ability to create the walking dead and they attack the United States. The family ties the girl up and the last thing I see if her father running around with a shotgun looking for his daughter. Now, the one good thing I will say about this movie is that it is so bad, it‚(TM)s almost good. I can‚(TM)t really say that without laughing but throughout this movie I laughed a lot. Was I supposed to, I have no idea but I did. The crazy father disapproves of his daughter‚(TM)s boyfriend and when he sees him on the street as a zombie, he blows his head off with a shotgun. That is where I lost control and could not put up with this disaster anymore. Never watch this movie. Not even if you are piss drunk or higher than a kite. I‚(TM)m not even sure if this movie is real because it isn‚(TM)t even on IMDB or Rotten Tomatoes.