Zorba the Greek (2005)
Average Rating: 7.3/10
Reviews Counted: 7
Fresh: 6 | Rotten: 1
No consensus yet.
Average Rating: 4/5
User Ratings: 6,838
If ever there was a role that Anthony Quinn was born to play, it was the lusty, life-affirming title character in Zorba the Greek. The scene is the isle of Crete, where English writer Alan Bates arrives in the hopes of realigning his own values and outlook on life. He is "adopted" by the flamboyant Zorba, who determines to educate Bates in the ways of the world-or, to be more precise, Zorba's world. Along the way, Bates is introduced to widow Irene Papas, the unrequited love object of everyone
Aug 3, 2004
Watch It Now
No Friends? Inconceivable! Log in to see what your friends have to say.
A pensive film about the need to find your own truth while living life to its fullest.
Despite Cacoyannis' plodding helming, and schematic contrast between the inhibited Brit and lusty Greek, the film is enjoyable due to Anthony Quinn's performance and Theodorakis' glorious music.
Audience Reviews for Zorba the Greek
- Alexis Zorba: You think too much, that is your trouble. Clever people and grocers, they weigh everything.
- Basil: An overhead cable? You're mad.
- Alexis Zorba: Why?
- Basil: That forest doesn't belong to us.
- Alexis Zorba: Well, it doesn't, and then it does.
- Basil: What does that mean?
- Alexis Zorba: It belong to the monastery. The monastery belongs to God, and God belongs to everybody. Do you agree?
- Alexis Zorba: God has a very big heart but there is one sin he will not forgive. [slaps table]
- Alexis Zorba: If a woman calls a man to her bed and he will not go.
- Alexis Zorba: How can I not love them? Poor weak creatures... and they take so little, a man's hand on their breast, and they give you all they got.
- Basil: I don't want any trouble.
- Alexis Zorba: Life is trouble. Only death is not. To be alive is to undo your belt and *look* for trouble.
- Alexis Zorba: Damn it boss, I like you too much not to say it. You've got everthing except one thing: madness! A man needs a little madness, or else...
- Basil: Or else?
- Alexis Zorba: ...he never dares cut the rope and be free.
Discuss Zorba the Greek on our Movie forum!