Body of Lies - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Body of Lies Reviews

½ January 2, 2017
It's good movie to watch
December 16, 2016
Some startling scenes but it lacks the intensity of the thrill I was hoping for
November 26, 2016
Body of Lies is a gripping and twisting thriller with a gritty edge; which makes this film intriguing almost all the way. It gets a little bogged down and slow at times, but the rest is typical Scott excitement and drama.
October 8, 2016
An gritty look into the life of an embedded CIA agent abroad, who puts everything on the line to catch a terrorist, and begins to distrust his handler.
August 25, 2016
For the first time in a very long time, I purchased a movie not knowing anything about it and soley on the director and lead actors. What I got, wasn't too bad. If you remember my Suicide Squad review when I said everything was just "okay", then evertyhing in Ridley Scott's Body Of Lies is just "good". How are the performances? They're good. How is the story? Good. You get the picture. But to be completely honest, the first 30 minutes of this movie are pretty forgettable. The plot wasn't too gripping and although I love DiCaprio, nothing really stood out from his performance. It does get interesting once the real spy work gets done and the espiange becomes a bigger part of the story. Other than that, nothing else really to say. Ridley Scott made a good movie, but there are certainly better movies out there to watch.
½ July 24, 2016
Ridley Scott, as most people know, is a great visual filmmaker and his craftsmanship shows in every scene and every frame of "Body of Lies". It starts out fairly strong and some of the action sequences are exciting. I think the performances are good, particularly Mark Strong's. What let me down is the incomprehensible plot. It gets convoluted and murky and highly implausible that I ended up feeling bored. "Body of Lies" is a conventional espionage thriller with hit-and-miss political message.
July 7, 2016
Two hours of Leonardo DiCaprio complaining about how hard it is to be a spy. Stick with James Bond.
June 10, 2016
The film seemed like a patch up job. The story not all that modern, actually felt like I've known it. Nice twist and nice ending but still felt déjà vu.
May 10, 2016
Body of Lies is an ok movie, Ridley Scott has done better and should have made a more interesting movie. There are a lot of things that I didn't like about the movie, I was bored for the most part. There are a lot of amazing, thrilling sequences with Ridley Scott's masterful touch.
½ April 24, 2016
Decent, just bland and not all that enthralling.
½ March 12, 2016
Good movie bad, terrible accents...very distracting.
½ March 5, 2016
Bolstered by a predictably strong performance from Leonardo DiCaprio and very skilled people behind the camera, Body of Lies lacks a certain amount of depth, but is nonetheless an above average espionage film.
½ March 4, 2016
Not one of the actors gave a good performance. Not that they were bad but I believe that the pacing was so bad that there was little time to develop the characters.
February 24, 2016
The "conventional espionage thriller" is usually pretty good. With Leo and Russell it should be much better than 54%. I hate jaded critics.
½ January 31, 2016
Slightly confusing and never quite clear what the point of this film was. Crowe is utterly awful in this. I found it very mediocre with a rushed plot.
½ January 24, 2016
Very good & interesting plot . Thrilling , flowing very well and it is interesting that a movie made in 2008 kind of foresees some events in 2015 & got the flag of the terrorist organization almost correct ... 75 % is for the interesting plot , and good acting . Critics must have watched another movie .
January 20, 2016
Well done, well acted by DiCaprio, and emotionally suspenseful.
½ January 19, 2016
I'm gonna divide this review into 5 parts: Directing, Cinematography,Writing,Score and finally Acting.
Directing - I though that directing in this movie was quite alright. But the actors in my opinion didn't seem to be on the same page, so over acted while other didn't deliver. But having said that you could definitely feel Scott's vibe during the whole movie. In some episodes it even reminded me something out of "Black Hawk down", maybe there is something special about Ridley Scott and the desert scenery. I would rate it 12/20
Cinematography - I was really impressed with the cinematography of the movie, even though the movie wasn't all this great. But the locations looked really authentic and nice through out the movie. The whole movie had a dawn or even evening feeling. I would rate it 15/20
Writing - The script in my opinion was the worst part of the movie. Even with this great cast the movie wasn't able to be intriguing or unpredictable. Having said that, the whole movie felt either rushed or dragged at the times. The plot felt short, even watching it in 2015-2016 were thing portrayed in the movie are happening right now. I would rate it 8/20
Score - The score seemed very generic for an action movie. However i was watching this movie without surround system at home, but my impression was that the sound effects and soundtrack as whole might felt good in a movie theater. I would rate it 13/20
Acting - Two of the leads Russel and Leo had very different roles and characters, yet one in my opinion was quite miserable and the other was decent enough. Crow either had a really bad role or it was bad casting choice, because he didn't seemed to fit the role. This was because of his bad accent or either because he didn't have any memorable lines. Leo on the other hand did quite decent job for the movie, towards the end. I also could not say, that actors had a really good chemistry especially the female actresses didn't seem to fit with Leo's character and the idea for Roger Ferris to speak so much Arabic doesn't seem to go well with the movie. I would rate it 11/20
Now the MVP of the movie was Mark Strong who in my opinion had a really nice character who seemed to fit in the movie really well. Strong's delivery was very strong and could feel his chemistry with Leo in the scenes.
In Total i would rate this movie - 59/100. This movie is decent for one time sitting.
January 18, 2016
This was very well done. Leo was great but for me mark strong stole the show however I wouldn't say I was a big fan of Russel Crowe in this film.
December 28, 2015
Bravo Tommy Lee. Absorbing, beautiful and poignant. Excellent!