Nightwatch - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Nightwatch Reviews

April 1, 2016
He takes their eyes.

A law student takes a new night watchman position at a mortuary. Unfortunately for him, a new serial killer arrives that increases the activity in the area. He accidentally begins traveling in the same circle as the killer when his friend befriends a prostitute that may have a connection to the killer. The watchman may find himself as a target of the killer.

"Have you ever been killed before?"

Ole Bornedal, director of The Substitute, The Possession, Deliver us from Evil, Just Another Love Story, and episodes from the television series 1864, delivers Nightwatch. The storyline for this picture is entertaining and fun to watch unfold. The acting was very solid and the cast includes Ewan McGregor, Nick Nolte, Josh Brolin, and Patrcia Arquette.

"Do something or I'll take your girlfriend's eyes."

I came across this on Netflix and had to watch it. I had never heard of this movie and found it worth a viewing. There were some awkward moments that I think could have been better executed; however, I do recommend seeing this once.

"You fucked a prostitute?"

Grade: C+
March 28, 2016
Nightwatch was a thriller that focused around strange happenings in a morgue. There were some creepy scenes as well as some slow moving boring moments they could have done without. The acting was fairly good and the story moved along at a nice pace. Things really got moving about half way in and it kept you guessing until the end about what the root of all the "evil" was. However, the ending was not all that satisfying and left me wondering and wanting more. There is enough gore and scares to satisfy most people but it falls right in the middle of the pack when compared to other mystery/suspense films.
½ July 25, 2015
The bromance between McGregor and Brolin did not need to exist. That whole side story and Brolin's character in general was not needed. Movie was an hour longer than it had to be.
May 6, 2015
It has it's moments, but they are overshadowed with choppy editing, poor pacing and mediocre writing. It comes off more ugly then clever. But McGregor, Nolte and Brolin are decent. Nonetheless, predictable and dated formula.
½ February 13, 2015
absolutly awful!!! could kill u to watch
½ November 15, 2014
A mediocre english language remake, despite the great cast. Treat yourself to the original.
November 12, 2014
This film was highly entertaining and quite surprising to be honest. I had heard of it for a long time but never got the chance to look at it and yesterday someone found it on Netflix and decided to watch it at home... At first I thought it would be an awful cheap thriller but slowly the story became more and more appealing, the tension rising and the suspense becoming incredibly intense. The characters were all interesting and remained mysterious enough to keep you guessing until the end who the psycho killer could be. Ole Bornedal has made a remake of his own thriller in English language and even though I haven't seen the Dannish version, this Nightwatch films delivers a strong and entertaining piece of cinema. Good surprise indeed.
½ October 9, 2014
This is a little known movie with at the time a little known actor in America. It definitly is what they call a thriller. It's exciting, perfect for the dark night alone that needs a lift or the sleep over with a bunch of friends. Ewan McGregor succeeds in capturing the sympathy and minds of the audience. He does a good job at really relating to the average person, not tough and fearless like the average hero, but truly human. Nick Nolte has another great performance and as well does Patricia Arquette, what can i say the whole cast was great, but i must say other then Ewan McGregor's charcter i truly enjoyed the character of Josh Brolin, he added a clever edge to the character that i found fun to watch. So this ignored film is well worth 1 hour and 41 minutes of you time, even more worth it if your a Ewan McGregor fan.
March 29, 2014
Creepy worth watching with good old nick noltie
½ February 25, 2014
The alone in the city morgue angle worked but the rest was a jumbled mess.
February 9, 2014
This film could have been much better. The idea of a guy working late nights in a morgue is kinda creepy but this movie was just silly in places. It's worth a watch. I give Nightwatch 2 stars.
½ January 6, 2014
A little choppy and disjointed. The way the killer is revealed is complete disappointment! Other than that, this is a creepy psychological thriller. My wife won't watch it again. Great for a late night chiller.
October 11, 2013
I watched the first 30minutes of this film 7 years ago. I liked it and have always wanted to go back and finish what I had started. The film had an interesting concept to start, good 90's music, and a group of actors that I really enjoyed throughout the film... however, these were the only two positives to the film. The story and ascending events that occurred after the first Act were terrible and never amounted to those 30min.
½ September 28, 2013
Admittedly, this isn't a great horror film....but it is fun. For the first hour plus it's a bizarre, dark, creepy and atmospheric horror film, but the last 30 minutes take a turn for the stupid. Ewan Macgregor is very good in it, as is Josh Brolin as his douchey best friend, and Nick Nolte is just ok as the head cop/detective on the murder case. Surprisingly the best role here is that of the head doctor as played by Brad Douriff who is only in two scenes but puts on quite the performance (weird, campy, and awesome). Nightwatch may not be the most memorable horror film, but it's sure to entertain you for it's fairly short runtime (the film flies by). If you're looking for nothing more than a silly, cool, atmospheric fun time...I say that Nightwatch fits the bill.
September 22, 2013
One of those films you find randomly ten years or so after it was released and you wonder why you never heard of a film with such big names in it. For that reason this is good for a watch as that kind if elevates it a little. I would call it a teen thriller except the cast aren't in their teens!
April 7, 2013
Spooky parts, a good twist, overall quite good.
February 24, 2013
So. This is the Russian movie. Right?
February 22, 2013
The killer was obvious from his first appearance on screen, so it hardly came as a surprise or a twist. The acting wasn't too bad but the plot was less than inspiring.
½ January 30, 2013
Interestingly dark and certainly twisted. Josh Brolin and Nick Nolte play suspect so well here. The story is is as grizzly and dark as the film's main set itself... the city morgue. Once you reach the half way point, you will find yourself very invested... but you must first last through the ultra unmotivated first half. In all, worth a peek for nineties thriller fans.
January 5, 2013
Somewhat of a good atmosphere with Ewan McGregor keeping a close eye as a late night watchman gets lamed down by a killer on the loose-who is the killer? plot line. Normally I like the type of movies where a group of people are potential killers but this really did nothing for me. It doesn't suck completely and may be ok if you stumble on it but it is hardly memorable.