At First Sight - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

At First Sight Reviews

December 25, 2015
Was an OK film. Not fabulous but not bad either.
½ May 20, 2015
The first sight of this boring drama""""
April 20, 2014
It is an interesting observation that even if your eyes can see, you have to learn to see. The love story angle is a bit predictable.
January 29, 2014
a delightfully acted rom-dram
January 10, 2014
One of my favorite guilty pleasure romances. I just like everything about this story even though this time through I did find Val Kilmer's perpetual goofy grin and childlike ways kind of off putting. (He does still look Top Gun good here though) So many things you wouldn't think about in regards to "seeing" and how your brain processes vision. Based on a true story.

" Val Kilmer plays Virgil Adamson a blind masseur who falls in love with one of his clients (Mira Sorvino). Going home with her to New York he agrees to undergo a risky operation to restore his sight. Nobody could have predicted the outcome however and the experience leaves him struggling to grasp his "seeing" world and longing for the familiarity of his former orientation to the world." 12.13 (4)
June 26, 2013
I don't remember ever hearing anything about this movie before seeing it for the first time today. I really enjoyed it and had no idea what was going to happen since I had never heard about this movie before.
½ April 10, 2013
I like Kilmer, but he did an awful lot of grinning through the whole thing. Otherwise, he was a convincing blind guy. The script is pedestrian and the relationship unconvincingly developed. However, the leads do have fine chemistry. The doctors and experts have no ability to communicate anything effectively, which is quite unrealistic and frustrating. I also don't understand why Val's character had to become such a jerk after regaining his sight. The swing in personality was unconvincing as well. Pleasant enough if you do not expect anything profound.
½ February 27, 2013
It's harmless stuff, but predictable stuff also.
½ January 24, 2013
I expected this movie to be much more melodramatic and cheesy than it was. While there were definitely a few overly sentimental moments, I found myself getting swept up in the story and wondering what it *would* be like to be experiencing sight for the first time ever. The romance is a key plotline, but it takes an appropriate back seat to the main character's story of seeing. I was very impressed with Val Kilmer, someone whose acting has never blown me away. Here he manages to make a likable but very relatable character I really rooted for. I'd comfortably recommend this movie as a pretty decent drama.
October 12, 2012
The film was good...sad. I just feel like something is missing, not sure what, but it just missing a certain appeal.
½ October 2, 2012
Interesting view of the nature of our senses, or the lack of them, and that affects who we are.
½ October 1, 2012
A charming yet predicable romantic story saved by believable chemistry between it's two leads and Val Kilmer's charismatic and committed performance
October 1, 2012
I'm so glad MoviePlex was playing this tonight. Val Kilmer & Mira Sorvino made me see how beautiful love is, no matter what the circumstances are.
½ August 23, 2012
This movie was very cheesy. But it made me realize how much I take for granted.
July 10, 2012
THe cast seems to work and you do feel as if Val Kiler is true to his role, but the film still lacks honesty. It seems like it is just going through the obvious motions.
June 27, 2012
interesting movie, but the radical shift in story and tone after Kilmer gets his sight was disconcerting. I liked the romantic storyline in the first act of the film, but the medical drama storyline that dominates the second and third act felt like it was denying me the the film the first act promised. I think I would have enjoyed the film more if it had focused on one storyline or the other. The medical story of a blind man getting his sight and having to learn his new world was interesting, seeing him learn how to read facial expressions he's never seen before or how to recognize even a soda can by sight as opposed to by touch. However, the chemistry between Sorvino and Kilmer is so good I wish the film kept the medical drama secondary to the romance, but overall it's still a quality film and very worth watching.
June 18, 2012
Mira Sorvino was great in it
April 8, 2012
THis is a very good movie
½ January 30, 2012
sleeper..good movie for a quiet night at home. very interesting the emotions they showed of a man who was once blind and now can see.
½ January 11, 2012
flipping through channels on tv, came across this movie. not that bad.