Big Fish Reviews

• Jul 14, 2019

As a story it's more honorable than most. As a movie it is good, the biggest problem is that father and son never really hates each other they just have some random row. But I love how this movie has 2 differents keys of reading:for the younger it's charming and funny and for the older it's also real. But the moral it's even more true and important: a man becomes the stories he tells

• Jul 08, 2019

Great story telling but no John Wick!

Great story telling but no John Wick!

• Jul 01, 2019

In Tim Burton fantastical

In Tim Burton fantastical

• Jun 24, 2019

Cute movie and fun to watch, no matter what age!

Cute movie and fun to watch, no matter what age!

• Jun 20, 2019

One of my favorite movies of all time

One of my favorite movies of all time

• Jun 20, 2019

Big Fish is a 2003 film directed by one of my all time favourite directors Tim Burton. The film stars Ewan McGregor as Edward Bloom and Matthew McGrory as Karl the Giant. The story I found to be really strong and entertaining, especially because of the way it was told by the standpoint of Edward Bloom. The acting I also found was strong especially Ewan McGregor as Edward Bloom, I felt that he gave a very good and intriguing performance. The characters in my opinion were very relatable and portrayed well, especially the character of Edward Bloom. The cinematography I found to be steady with a few really good shots of the characters and scenery. The sets and costumes were also done very well, from the various set designs to the vibrant and some times colourful costumes. The practical and special effects I personally found to be done really well, especially with the character Karl the Giant. The music was done by Danny Elfman who if you don't know is one of my personal favourite composers, and I'm glad to say that he doesn't disappoint here. The film in my opinion also had some very good comedy, especially with the scenes in the circus. The film at points also had some very strong atmosphere, especially in the first and third act. The film was also surprisingly quite emotional, especially toward the end with Edward Bloom and his son. I also personally really enjoyed the film, and I hope to watch it again very soon. Over all I give it a 8/10 85% 4.25/5

• May 27, 2019

(SPOILERS) As a Religion teacher, this movie was a very good example of the four pillars the school uses as base examples for how students should act inside and out of the school. One of the pillars is Be Loving. An amazing example represented in the movie of this pillar is when Young Edward Bloom, spends years and days looking for her, going to her college, with thousands of imported flowers, her favourite and yelling for her only to get beat up by her fiance a few minutes later. Another pillar we, as a school use is Be Joyful. Will Bloom, Edwards son, as portrayed in the movie is very sceptical of his father's stories, as he never believed any of them because of how stupid they seemed. Later in the movie though, when his father is in the hospital, he asks his son to tell him a story. Will, of course, decides to humor his father and tells him a story, quite similar to the ones his dad had told over the years despite his hatred for them. The third pillar used in the school is Be Humble. An example of being humble in this movie is when Will goes to see his father at his childhood home with his wife, Josephine. After arriving at the house, they eat supper, and during the few minutes it takes to do the scene, Will mentions Josephine's travels to the congo. His father immediately starts telling a story of someone he met in his youth. Will, of course, ignores the story, but Josephine, despite knowing what Edward is saying, listens to the story intently. Without persuasion. The final pillar we utilise is Be Forgiving. An example from the movie is when Jenny, over the course of the movie, forgives Edward for breaking her door whilst trying to leave her house. I feel all of these examples of our schools pillars were adequately represented by the several different examples throughout the movie. I would definitely recommend for teacher to show their students this movie!

• May 25, 2019

Deeply sincere and tender-hearted moments wrapped in the quirks and turns of a Tim Burton film. I thought Burton should have been finally nominated for a director award but eh...who really cares about Oscars anymore. Ewan McGregor gives one of his best performances.

• May 25, 2019

Probably best movie ever

Probably best movie ever

• May 12, 2019

Being so far from Tim Burton's usual style, it exceeds expectations. It is artistically and thematically beautiful. The way each character is portrayed and the environments that they interact with are so nuanced. It merges fantasy great with reality, containing lighting that allows the audience to easily distinguish between the two. The story revolves around love. It focuses on life, then onto love as you'd see in a romance, only to finish with an incredibly touching relationship between father and son. It is hard to explain what makes this movie so great, but you really do feel good watching it. (full of metaphor).