The Basketball Diaries - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Basketball Diaries Reviews

October 24, 2016
One or two of the scenes were too shocking to watch! Not one of Dicaprio's best, because he's overacting at times!
October 24, 2016
Man, when I tell you there is no other film like this one. Leonardo di Caprio was phenomenal. After the film I just realized how well he depicted and transformed from a trouble making teen to a druggy. Can't explain how great his and the other cast acting was. Legendary film!!
September 25, 2016
an emotional movie based on Jim Carroll diaries, One of Leonardo DIcaprios best character and it did make me cry. This is a movie id probably only be able to watch once
½ July 20, 2016
This classic junkie flick worked well as a stepping stone for Leonardo Dicaprio's career. It was exactly what I expected from a cult nineties film. An average Bronx Tale build up that leads into an exceptionally portrayed downfall into darkness. Seeing Mark Wahlberg co-star as a teenager was an unexpected surprise; along with cameos from a Natural Born Killer and a Ghostbuster. It took about half the movie to realize that I was watching something that was a little bit better than average. Overall, it doesn't seem too original when put up against today's releases; but great for 1995 and would doubtfully have received much attention, if it weren't for Dicaprio's dramatic performance.
½ June 19, 2016
I've seen a lot of movies, and I believe that this may be the most misjudged by the critics that I've ever reviewed. I was drawn in the entire time of this film and DiCaprio is the main reason why. It was at times hard to watch, but the basketball diaries is one of Leo's finest performances to date and it is a very fine film
May 27, 2016
Great movie on teenage drug abuse and addiction set in New York City.
April 24, 2016
This movie is an all time favourite. Changed my life. Must see! Not even joking
½ March 24, 2016
For Scott Kalvert's directorial debut this is excellent, and for one of DiCaprio's early performances, pre-Titanic or Catch Me If You Can, this is very good and maybe the best of said era..
March 11, 2016
My gosh Leonardo can act.
February 1, 2016
A little less basketball, a lot more dope. If Leo should have won an award for any film before now, it should have been this.
January 29, 2016
I found this movie to have a lasting affect on me. The subject matter was difficult and Leo gives a great, early, performance.

Drug addiction is examined, and the terrible paths it takes you down, and what it missed by getting caught up in the lifestyle.
The movie does have generic flaws, but the overall message and lasting effect was far more important.
December 6, 2015
beyond a certain frequency need knows absolutely no limit or control
December 4, 2015
Lets start off with what is good about Basketball Diaries which is Leonardo Dicaprio. You could tell in this movie that this guy was going to be a superstar. Obviously he had the looks since all the young girls in my school adored him and hung pictures on their wall, but through that exterior we have an amazing actor at the start of his amazing career here. He plays the role of drug addict and juvenile crumb to perfection in this movie, as does Mark Wahlberg, who honestly is just as good. The movie itself though, not such much. The basketball diaries comes off more disturbing and disgusting than anything else, and no, I don't think that is what the director was going for. I honestly think that an updated version of this film would be better with a better director. The scene where Jim (Dicaprio) is forced to detox off heroin cold turkey in a friends bedroom is so over the top and blown out of proportion that is kills the reality of the film. Withdrawal is bad and is not a fun time, but it is not anything like how it was portrayed in this movie. This movie honestly flat out stinks and a remake would do the guys story justice.
November 15, 2015
Great performances, a not too preachy heart breaking true story, and brilliant sounding narration that fits like tasteful signature upon a masterful painting, one of my favorite movies.
½ October 31, 2015
I really enjoyed this movie. Leo can play a great "insane" character. It's great.
August 29, 2015
it's a crazy movie with a lot of drug use
½ August 29, 2015
A true story of how a kid throws away all of his potential on drugs. Dicaprio and Wahlberg are in the process of becoming superstars and you can see why they did. This is a solid, interesting, film, as most true stories are.
July 12, 2015
Such a trip seeing a very young Leonard Dicaprio and Mark Wahlberg. Very good movie.
May 10, 2015
Great acting but shot like an after school.
March 6, 2015
ive been lookn for this movie for a very longtime