Beastly - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Beastly Reviews

April 24, 2016
I just liked the witch character, none of the protagonists were likeable
February 23, 2016
Love this movie. Great message. Better than the book. Shows that beauty is truly more than skin deep.
November 25, 2015
Tries to tell a cautionary tale about how looks aren't everything but fails completely.
½ November 19, 2015
It's too much expected that an old story like Beauty and the Beast is tread along so much that there isn't much left to work well with. Such is the case with Beastly, a retelling that has little to tell in the procedure. It's writing is on the levels of Twilight and it's leads are somehow even worse than Bella and Edward. If you're a teen girl or someone who who's trying to find a date movie. Beastly may fit your expectations. But for me, it was just too obvious and poorly executed to put a spark in the old story.
November 8, 2015
I know this movie is not gonna do the book justice but I'll watch it :)
October 14, 2015
It is a modernized tale of Disney's Beauty and the Beast. It has a few scenes that are similar to Disney's Beauty and The Beast. it is about a girl, a beauty, who sees underneath the beast, and sees the man who he truly is. It is about looking underneath looks, i.e. seeing a person for who he truly is. The saying "Beauty is only skin deep" is explained in the movie. Beauty sees the beast for who he is on the inside, beside his appearance.
½ October 11, 2015
I really loved the book and the details added into the actual story. I'm also a sucker for anything that is based off of the classic Beauty and the Beast story. Unfortunately the story was there, the effort was not.
½ August 2, 2015
I liked it, a nice twist to a classic tale as old as time
July 24, 2015
The idea was good, but the result wasn't so good. There's only two things that I enjoyed in this movie: the lightening in some shots and Neil Patrick Harris' acting.
June 21, 2015
July 7th 2011
June 20th 2015
June 6, 2015
I actually really liked this movie. It is cheesy and corny, but it was still cute. I liked that they didn't try to completely reinvent the story and stayed true to the original.
½ April 23, 2015
I wanted this film to be good. It wasn't.
April 12, 2015
Beastly is an updated version of the story we all know and love about a Beauty who falls in love with a Beast. However, this retelling involves high school, New York City and environmentalism. Overall, a very cute high school movie with good chemistry and nice story. The only part that I found far-fetched as an adult, is two minors left together because one parent is a drug addict and the other is a narcissistic tv personality. Otherwise, a beautiful, dark fable.
April 6, 2015
My expectations were low very low actually but I was surprised it was not that bad
March 29, 2015
lazy script writing and week casting in the title role do little to help a movie that wastes this old fairytale
March 23, 2015
awesome movie for those that are Beauty and the Beast Fans. Great twist to a prequel and full storyline.
½ March 22, 2015
It was sappily touching in that teenage-appeal kind of way, but the acting was admittedly wooden, and the bad script doesn't give the attractive leads anything to work with. Alternately sappy and stupid.
March 18, 2015
An appalling take on Beauty and the Beast. The Beast - Pettyfer isn't all that beastly and the beauty isn't exactly Belle. There's no reason given why Pettyfer's character wants to snuggle up with Beauty other than a vaguely Twiglet style stalking section (because one thing we learned from Twiglet was Stalking=Twu Lurve, eh, girls?) and how he managed to woo her once he had her incarcerated in his huge house is beyond me.

Muddly (even with a classic to copy) and rather pointless, it was only Pettyfer's original face that kept me watching, but I would avoid next time.
February 28, 2015
I want to see this movie because it looks good
January 24, 2015
While Beastly may have it faults, it is still enjoyable thanks to Vanessa and Alex's chemistry, Olsen's awesome presence, Neil's humor, and its lack of conceiving to the other shallow love films that seem to be very present in modern media. However, the set up was just confusing, but its not a big deal when compared to the feeling throughout the rest of the film. Overall, Beastly may not be the best adaptation of its source material, but it still gets its message across and makes love the story.