Black Christmas Reviews

• Gimly M Super Reviewer
    Jan 17, 2020

Obviously doesn't hold a candle to the original, and some of the acting is pretty genuinely bad, but it knows what it wants and it goes for it. What it wants, here being: To be hamstrung to keeping in step with its predecessor but also being wildly different enough to piss anyone off who was expecting an actual "remake".

• Dec 18, 2019

Review: ‘Black Christmas' is a Christmas slasher film directed by Glen Morgan. It is a loose remake of the 1974 film of the same name. The best thing this movie has going for it is its bad guy, but even that where's thin every time you see a back story about him. The film takes place several days before Christmas and tells the story of a group of sorority sisters who are stalked and murdered in their house during a winter storm. As much as I disliked the movie, the performances for the most part were pretty solid. Unfortunately, the characters here are purely 2-dimensional and unforgivably stupid. I especially loved the performance done by Billy's mother! She was the best actress in the film and unfortunately had the least screen time. There were some truly witty lines of dialogue! One thing this film reaped was dark humor! Much appreciated! There is really know suspense in this movie, because you don't care about any of the characters being killed off. The movie gives you no background to any of them and expects you to pick up pieces about them through the little screen time most of them have. Overall, as a Christmas movie this film fails, and as a slasher movie it fails. It's not an entertaining movie and have no likable characters. 1.5/5

• Dec 17, 2019

Well, at least this remake is trying to be a Black Christmas movie, and it does attempt some different things with middling results. It's certainly very stylistic, and it feels more like a bottle film. Most of the film takes place in the house, and it feels quite claustrophobic. It also tries to create an origin story for Billy and Agnes, but it just doesn't feel right and doesn't work. There is a lot of blood and gore in this remake, but the kills aren't memorable or creative (Plus, you don't see much. This is a film where they use the bag-over-the-head from the original 6 times!). Our leads are forgettable, interchangeable and bland as well (I had trouble remembering their names), not to mention it never feels like we really have a main character here. (Maybe Billy and Agnes, but they are villains). The villain design is very weak, it looks like Billy and Agnes are wearing masks most of the time (although they aren't supposed to be). It doesn't help that Billy isn't in this much, for most of the film Agnes is the one doing the killing. Billy does get a great entrance near the end though. In the end, Black X-Mas (2006) is a bad film, but it is entertaining (to a degree) and at least it's trying. It's a well-meaning but heavily flawed horror flick.

• Dec 16, 2019

A talented and beautiful cast makes me almost want to recommend this film. Black Christmas is a perfectly twisted Christmas film. The problem is that despite having a great cast. All the characters are one dimensional. We're not made to care about anyone. We are just forced to watch beautiful girls brutally killed over and over again.

• Nov 07, 2019

They nail it with the casting and amazing acting and it's so creepy. It gets the holiday feeling of Christmas in this version so much better than the original. I even like the story better and that it seems so much more of a terrible snowy winter and the soundtrack and score is better

• Sep 09, 2019

An insult to the classic original. Where Bob Clark's 1974 masterpiece was a minimalist suspense film with terrifying moments and excellent dark comedy, this soulless retread is a stupid, overly complicated, ludicrous gorefest. It's saving grace is the fact that it has an over the top so-bad-it's-good vibe.. And that the 2019 remake was somehow much worse.

• Sep 01, 2019

I first rented this back in 2007 but stopped it after the woman got killed with an icicle. I watched GoodBadFlicks review and gave it another chance by watching it on YouTube. After finally seeing all the way I easily say, it's shit. I mean it's uniformly terrible. They go overboard with the gore and the comedy and suspense is so terrible. Not to mention the bad acting and lame deaths. The color is awesome but that's the only good thing about the film. Just avoid this garbage in every way.

• Jun 28, 2019

Watched this about a year ago, remember it being god-awful

Watched this about a year ago, remember it being god-awful

• Feb 13, 2019

This remake is fucking disgusting with it's overuses of blood & gore. The only redeeming quality of this film are all of the hot women in this movie.

• Dec 23, 2018

This is always my Christmas guilty pleasure. Such a fun silly gory holiday slasher movie with really fun camera work.