Blood Diamond - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Blood Diamond Reviews

Page 1 of 1948
½ August 25, 2017
It's predictable, but manages to have great performances to balance things out
½ August 19, 2017
DiCaprio and Hounsou pour their hearts out in their performances, but the last thirty minutes are criminally unneeded.
July 8, 2017
One of the best if not the best African type move ever made.
June 1, 2017
Blood Diamond is an important film that sometimes feels more like propaganda than a movie...but the performances and drama pull you back in to help deliver its message.
May 19, 2017
"Blood Diamond" combines truly thrilling action sequences, great performances, and a truly compelling message to deliver a very good movie. I didn't know much about what this movie was about before watching it, but I was definitely entertained by most of it. I do feel that it is a touch too long and does drag in some of its middle sections. Regardless, when the movie is going, it really keeps you engaged. I enjoyed the performances from all of the actors in this movie and felt they all got into their characters. It's a well-made movie that has something important to say.
April 16, 2017
After wowing audiences with his boyish looks, charm and strong performances in the 1990s, Leonardo DiCaprio became the actor of a generation after the turn of the century and make no mistake, he is on form in Blood Diamond. Playing Danny Archer, a soldier of fortune, DiCaprio convinces us he really did grow up in Rhodesia. Djimon Hounsou and Jennifer Connelly also impress in this gripping, heart-wrenching and often ugly adventure. And while the supporting cast and ocassionally the plot are taken on a ramble around the wilderness we get a snapshot of the injustice summarised as TIA, This is Africa.
April 14, 2017
Formula movie about the civil wars in Africa over diamonds. It has a typical bunch of explosions and guns as well as a black man whose son is kidnapped. I have to admit I really like this movie. One of my favorites.
½ April 13, 2017
DiCaprio, Connelly and Hounsou carry this bloody war pic about the illicit trade of diamonds from conflict zones. Brimming with great action and fx along with standout acting brings this movie to the forefront of DiCaprio's portfolio.
½ April 10, 2017
If films were rated solely by their good intentions, this would be one of the best films ever made. The plot is centered around Sierra Leone and neighboring countries in 1999. Leonardo DiCaprio plays Danny Archer, a South African diamond smuggler who has spent most of his life living as a soldier of fortune and a black-market merchant. He is first shown trying to cross the border of Sierra Leone with a stash of diamonds hidden in goats. He is caught and is sent to jail, where he hears of an enormous pink diamond unearthed by a fisherman taken away from his family and forced to mine for RUF, Solomon Vandy. Danny considers this diamond his opportunity to pay his way out of Africa for good. Long story short, Danny offers Solomon an opportunity to find his family in return for the brilliant pink diamond. While it has the conventions of a Hollywood film and plotline, the political unrest shown in the movie is organic and realistic.
Brutal scenes show the dominant RUF forces in Sierra Leone enforcing their horrific tactics while highlighting the corrupt political setting at the time. The film is incredibly violent at times, but it fits as an attempt to inform viewers of the horrific reality of the brutal blood diamond trade in Africa. In two hours and twenty-three minutes, the Film tells a snippet of the real story of the civil war that occurred in Sierra Leone from 1991-2002. It isn't a documentary, but it shows some of the facts and figures of a major conflict while presenting an entertaining movie that poses a question in my mind. What do we place value on and why? For Solomon and Danny Archer, all their aspirations lie in a rock mineral that weighs less than an American quarter, and unfortunately, this is matched on a much greater scale. The Blood diamond trade is disgusting and real. Over three million lives lost to these intrinsically worthless gems. While it didn't hit the diamond trade as much as it should, Blood Diamond is an exceptional exotic action film that has a paramount sociopolitical context.
April 9, 2017
One of the best movies I have ever seen. Incredible performance by all the main actors: Dicapro, Connelly, and Hounsou. Also great directing and cinematography. I did not see this until recently and I do not know how I missed it. Furthermore, it told a story worth telling and told it well!
½ March 28, 2017
This wasn't that bad and I would consider this as a guilty pleasure.
March 21, 2017
Were the critics high?!??! How is this at 62%! This is a great movie don't kid yourself with the rating.
½ March 20, 2017
great movie with a great story. awesome acting and very moving. a little long but some very intense scenes. (about 3 viewings)
½ February 25, 2017
Blood Diamond is well-acted, well-directed, and contains juicy social commentary. The film also, unfortunately meanders too long until it finds its general purpose to be as great as it could be.
February 23, 2017
This is by far the best based on a true story movie, I have ever seen. It opens ur eyes to what is actually happening, to get those precious diamonds. You pay money and they pay with their lives more often then not. If ur soo interested in diamond jewelry get conflict free ones.
February 21, 2017
Grade - B-
'Blood Diamond' showcases an amazing performance from South African DiCaprio, and features likeable characters surrounded by world of chaos and destruction. Issues with the movie lie with it's erratic pacing, overlong run time and ultimately cliche story, which is done in such a way that you know the ending way before you should do. Overall though, a solid drama for a rainy day.
½ February 18, 2017
A very well directed movie that shows the horrors that happened during the civil war in Sierra Leone.
DiCaprio, Djimoun Hounsou and Jennifer Connelly all give outstanding performances and play very well written and fleshed out characters.
The cinematography is gorgeous and the score by James Newton Howard is haunting.
This movie will make you think twice about buying a diamond ring!
½ February 9, 2017
Solid action flick with loads of politics and money involved. Some cheecky fella visits Sierra Leone to smuggle some diamonds. This is a rugged business and you are made to make enemies and shady friends you should stay far away from. At the same time a diamond digger is hiding a huge rock from his bosses and it costs him dearly. If he want's to see his family again, what's left of it at least, he must give up where he stashed it - knowing he probably will die afterwards. This is not an easy task, but when the two mentioned characters become friends and takes on trips and other adventures like fake reporters you are in for a rush.

Well acted. The main trio does great in this film where the characters and they're development is key. Great story, still very easy to figure and predictable at many turns. A good thing there is many of them then. Cliches - plenty of them, and the film is using most of the big tricks, but it works. Most of them. Not that cliff ending, though. It get's a bit much at times, like calling in an air-raid (like it's no problem) and then running around in the middle of it. Pretty darn idiotic.

I liked the film, but there are moments where I don't know if the main thing here is to fill it to the max with action, or keep the story and message.

7 out of 10 yah's.
February 2, 2017
Unbelievable movie - great storyline keeps you on the edge of your seat from beginning to end. Above average cast that delivered some memorable performances. A very authentic experience that succeeds at making the viewer feel that they are in the heart of the action.
January 30, 2017
Really good story and very well done.
Page 1 of 1948