Cast a Deadly Spell - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Cast a Deadly Spell Reviews

December 13, 2014
Quirky, innovative, and fun. One of the few "urban fantasy" films ever made. It's a hidden gem and one of my personal favorite movies. I'm sure it's not for everyone, but if you like films like Buckaroo Banzai, Forbidden Zone, and O Lucky Man, I highly recommend checking this out (if you can find it).
½ September 12, 2014
A fun premise for genre fans, but just boils down to style over substance.
August 19, 2014
Fun little romp through 1940 alternate Hollywood.....not great but good.
August 17, 2013
Super nerdy noir comedy for fans of H.P. Lovecraft. Not without its charms, but the average viewer will be completely lost.
April 28, 2013
Like most Sci-Fi/Fantasy film noir, conceptually interesting, in execution pretty underwhelming.
April 11, 2013
this is great if you can find it
½ November 11, 2012
A horror-comedy/film-noir,...I should have really liked this one, but it's rather dated. An HBO film from 1991, feature a young Julianne Moore and Fred Ward whom I always like. The movie had its moments...but I just couldn't fully get into it. For fans of the quirky only!
October 20, 2012
Great riff on the typical 40s style "private dick" movie set in an alternate 1948 Los Angeles in which "everyone used magic." The protagonist, played with panache by Fred Ward, is named Lovecraft; that should explain a lot about the tone of the movie.
August 2, 2012
DETECTIVE PHILIP LOVECRAFT en vf. Un peu de magie, un peu de monstres, un peu de film noir et un peu d'humour, un curieux mĂ (C)lange soit, un mĂ (C)lange qui fonctionne malgrĂ (C) tout. Un tĂ (C)lĂ (C)film HBO pas du tout dĂ (C)plaisant.
March 10, 2012
Fred Ward plays a private detective in an alternate-universe 1948 in which everybody but him ("for personal reasons") uses magic. It's a very tongue-in-cheek but well-put-together string of noir tropes and Lovecraft in-jokes. The whole thing is immensely silly, but it's also fun provided you're willing to accept its ham-fisted tone. Sort of a supernatural Dick Tracy.
½ October 11, 2011
an intersting ideal, but that alone is not enough to make this film great. With a little help it could be.
October 4, 2011
Directed by Martin Campbell (Golden Eye & Casino Royal), starring Fred Ward, Clancy Brown, Julianne Moore and David Warner. Cast a Deadly Spell is Lovecraft Noir, complete with hard boiled dialog, grizzled PI's, dirty cops, femme fatales, magic and monsters.
Awesome awesome awesome.
June 15, 2011
weird, cheesy, and hard to describe. it borrows heavily from everything, but comes off as pretty original.
May 29, 2011
I saw this. It's okay.
January 30, 2011
Between the cheap but effective SFX, the noir tropes and the performances, this movie was a damn lot of fun and probably the best one based on the Cthulhu Mythos I've seen. Which can't be too many.
January 10, 2011
Cast a Deadly Spell (1991) -- [6.0] -- This made-for-cable fantasy/noir yarn features Fred Ward as a private detective searching for a book of spells in an alternate 1940s Hollywood where monsters and magic are part of everyday life. Think "Roger Rabbit" with magic instead of cartoons. As fantastic as it sounds, the script is fairly conventional and predictable. A major clue hinges on revealing a "she" to be a "he," but I don't think the actor in drag is fooling anyone. The movie manages some remarkable special effects given its limited budget, but the real reason to see this colorful flick is its incredible cast. Ward is joined by the ever-villainous David Warner and sultry love interest Julianne Moore, as well as the always cool Clancy Brown (Highlander, Carnivale).
½ August 24, 2010
While the naming of our lead Howard Phillips Lovecraft was pointless and done purely for stunt reasons, as was the presence of the Old Ones during the climax, the majority of the film is actually a very clever, very watchable exercise in droll comedy and love of noir. This feels like something Clive Barker could have written and would have made a terrific early '90s tv series.
½ August 2, 2010
Too unrealistic for me :(
March 27, 2010
This was an HBO movie production, and it's one of my favorites. A revisionist history set in post-war L.A., Fred Ward portrays H. Phil Lovecraft, hard-boiled detective who is honest as the day is long, and has no truck with magic. Toss in the Necronomicon, a tarty virgin, an ex-partner-turned-hood and a young and delicious Julianne Moore and you've got a tasty, magical stew.
½ February 23, 2010
What's not to love about this movie. Now if it can only make it to DVD