The Changeling - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Changeling Reviews

October 22, 2018
Before the Others, before the Conjuring, before the Woman in Black, before Rose Red, there was THE CHANGELING... and dear God it set the standard that all haunted house movies have followed since. Legitimately one of, if not THE scariest movie I have ever seen, and there's not a drop of blood in sight.
September 29, 2018
It is what you don't see that can scare you the most. French Director Jacques Tourneur made several movies for Val Lewton of RKO which would give you chills, because you were afraid of things which were there and not there.
½ September 25, 2018
I really liked the plot but being an almost 40 year old flick it had many flaws. The acting was pretty awful and the effects were inadequate but it was able to give me chills, it was creepy as intended.
½ August 21, 2018
Can see how this would have been terrifying back in 1980. Its not as scary anymore but the plot is still interesting and entertaining. George C Scott does a wonderful job in the lead role. Even today there are some scary moments, which says a lot.
August 17, 2018
One of the best horror movie ever. Everything is just perfect : the music, the filming, the actors (George C. Scott !). Besides, it uses many classical thrilling effects, but they all work so fine, and the plot and characters are nicely developed, so that the film is not only scary, but intelligent and dramatically very moving.
July 18, 2018
Slow Burn, Great horror. George C. Scott is perfect in the role, this movie is an absolute joy to watch.
July 12, 2018
best ghost movies ever
May 10, 2018
Saw it for the first time when I was 8. My mom would find me sleeping at the top of the stairs bc I couldn't sleep in my dark room for a while. Saw it again just now 30 years later, and the creepiness is still as effective. In my mind, right up there with The Shining as one of the best horror movies ever made. No blood or gore, no cheap jump scares. Trust me, these scares are very much earned. And that seance scene is hands down the most chilling
Seance scene in a scary movie. Enjoy!
April 28, 2018
goofy-ass movie that has a pretty riveting beginning, then it descends into the silly(make that the very silly). George C. Scott smokes a lot of cigs in this
December 26, 2017
Best ghost story ever. Many chills up my spine.
December 15, 2017
After not seeing this movie for 17 years, gave it a rewatch alone in the dark. Not gunna lie, possibly the scariest movie I've ever seen. Now if only the blu ray would get released.
November 28, 2017
The Changeling is widely considered to be one of the best in the haunted house genre, and for good reason. This is the type of low-key gothic thriller they just don't make anymore. There's nothing particularly original about the story itself, but it's so well acted and directed that you don't really notice the familiarity of it all. George C. Scott gives a terrific performance as the grieving husband/father trying to put his life back together after his family is tragically killed. Without such a skilled actor carrying the movie it could've easily turned campy, but he keeps everything grounded and elevates the material into something special. I'll admit the movie isn't really all that scary, but director Peter Medak slowly builds the tension and mystery while filling the movie with plenty of atmosphere and suspense. What really makes the movie work is that Medak understands the concept of 'less is more', and by keeping the ghost offscreen it allows the imagination to run wild. The Changeling isn't interested in cheap jump scares...it's about loss and the fear of the unknown. Highly recommended for those who enjoy classic ghost stories.
½ August 9, 2017
The Changeling is a superior, creepy, sorrowful and downright frightening ghost story. This film is peak haunted house horror and as usual George C. Scott gives another powerhouse performance full of nuanced anger, sadness and fear. This film is great in all aspects of the word.
June 8, 2017
This is still one of the best old-fashioned gothic style ghost movies. It is also where I first saw George C Scott and had no idea he had largely been a comical actor! In this, he plays a recently widowed musician who moves into a heritage house which is plagued with the usual creepy noises and unexplained incidents. I remember seeing this when I was young and was genuinely shaken by a scene where a child's ball bounces down the dark stairs. George then drives to the nearest bridge and hurls the ball into the water only to return home to witness the exact same ball creepily bouncing back down the stairs. There have been some pleasing old-style ghost films since this one (namely The Others, Insidious, BBC's The Woman In Black, and The Orphanage) but none with the same consistently chilling vibe.
April 23, 2017
The Changeling is a very cool haunted house film that's creepy and scary. I loved it
½ February 20, 2017
One of the BEST you will ever see. SEE IT!
½ February 2, 2017
In my opinion, this is still one of the best old-fashioned gothic style ghost movies. It is also where I first saw George C Scott and had no idea he had largely been a comical actor! In this, he plays a recently widowed musician who moves into a house which is plagued with the usual creepy noises and unexplained occurences. I remember seeing this when I was young and was genuinly shaken by a scene where a child's ball bounces down the dark stairs. George then drives to the nearest bridge and hurls the ball into the water only to return home to witness the exact same ball bouncing back down the stairs. There have been some pleasing old-style ghost films since this one (namely The Others, Insidious, BBC's The Woman In Black, and The Orphanage) but none with the consistent chilling vibe of this.
½ December 18, 2016
An engaging ghost story that deserves more credit for its twisty plot, uncomfortable atmosphere and Medak's refined direction than for being actually scary (even though it does have its creepy moments), and it boasts a very fine performance by George C. Scott.
November 1, 2016
Maybe you had to see it when it came out. I enjoyed this, it was an interesting twist on gothic horror, but I felt like it dropped the ball on the psychological / grief aspect to chase a story that was less interesting. I also disagreed with the movie's decision to punish who they punish in the end, I thought he was actually also a victim in a lot of ways of the true evil doer......
½ July 11, 2016
I love this film. The ending was good, not great....but the middle of the film was awesome. This movie is going to be a little slow for some of you....but I was mesmerized by the cinematography. ....Right where the lead is playing the piano....fillpin brilliant!...and George C Scott is fantastic, so...