The Family Stone - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Family Stone Reviews

½ December 9, 2017
This movie is one of my all time favorites. I understand a lot of people disagree, but this movie is not about Christmas, even though that's what many people think. Its setting takes place during Christmas time, but that is not the point of this movie. The reason why it is my favorite, is because the acting is realistic. They capture the intimacy of what a true family would look like. I understand some of the characters are annoying and unlikable like both Meredith and Amy who represent the extremes, however you are not always supposed to like every character in every movie, otherwise all movies would be boring. Again, just because it takes place on Christmas does not mean that was the point that this movie was trying to make. It makes you look beyond that, it tells a unique, intimate, and unconventional story about life. I think the whole point of this movie was to show intimacy and the ugly side of all families during Christmas. Not just the fake cookies, gifts, and facade that we all put up front about how smooth life is, when its just not.
½ November 26, 2017
Veldig hyggelig julefilm med mye humor!
November 5, 2017
A gem of a movie. I watch it every year for the holidays. Multiple times. ??
April 6, 2017
An OK drama that was fine to see once, but it lacks the holiday magic I was looking for. I wouldn't really call it a Christmas movie. (First and only viewing - December 2005 in theaters)
½ February 1, 2017
It's good movie to watch
December 29, 2016
Has it's problems and eye rolling moments, but overall the good outweighs the bad quite a bit with such a great cast.
December 27, 2016
Watch it every Christmas. Love love love.
½ December 8, 2016
The Family Stone is a disjointed, heavy-handed, uneven mess. This movie is full of unlikeable characters with no discernible motivation for their actions. It tries too hard to be quirky and dramatic and ends up being clichéd and annoying. Aside from very brief interesting moments, this movie is a waste of time.
November 2, 2016
For reals amusing if you can get past the cringe factor of Sarah Jessica Parker tweaking her neurotic Sex In The City character just enough to make her even more neurotic and narcissistic.

Surprisingly enjoyable and doesn't end up where you'd expect...
½ September 23, 2016
it was good, sad though
½ June 23, 2016
Laughed and laughed. Fun & full of love. Sadness too.
April 1, 2016
You'd think I'd have seen it by now, I work at a theater.
March 28, 2016
classic bitchy family dramedy. some things just aren't believable but I don't care because Luke Wilson.
February 6, 2016
Weird. As the family holidays usually are...
January 6, 2016
My favorite Christmas movie
December 28, 2015
I'm a little late with the review, 10 years late. This movie wasn't all that bad. I loved all of the actors but they had terrible source material to work with. I'm extremely liberal, but they way this family treated Meredith was so bad! They were so very rude to her. Great cast, terrible material and a horrible family. I've never met a family this atrocious in real life, thank god! I always like watching this movie around the holidays because it takes me back to a great time in my life.
December 24, 2015
Family Stone isn't awful; there are some effective, family-based melodrama moments throughout. Mostly though, it's just kind of a downer. Also, can someone please explain to me the appeal of Dermot Mulroney? Other than his awesomely bonkers turn in Young Guns, he's as dry and bland as burnt toast.
December 23, 2015
Our Christmas classic
½ December 20, 2015
So wrong on so many levels ! wish that i could unsee it. Based on non healthy social relationships.