The Family Stone - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Family Stone Reviews

December 29, 2016
Has it's problems and eye rolling moments, but overall the good outweighs the bad quite a bit with such a great cast.
December 27, 2016
Watch it every Christmas. Love love love.
½ December 13, 2016
Ridiculous, forced, contrived farce. Man, why on earth did SJP take this role??! What an awful character!
Soapish drama where, of course, everyone's issues neatly resolved in the last 5 minutes so we can leave the theatre happy...enough not to slit our wrists for sitting thru this tripe.
½ December 8, 2016
The Family Stone is a disjointed, heavy-handed, uneven mess. This movie is full of unlikeable characters with no discernible motivation for their actions. It tries too hard to be quirky and dramatic and ends up being clichéd and annoying. Aside from very brief interesting moments, this movie is a waste of time.
November 2, 2016
For reals amusing if you can get past the cringe factor of Sarah Jessica Parker tweaking her neurotic Sex In The City character just enough to make her even more neurotic and narcissistic.

Surprisingly enjoyable and doesn't end up where you'd expect...
½ September 23, 2016
it was good, sad though
½ June 23, 2016
Laughed and laughed. Fun & full of love. Sadness too.
April 1, 2016
You'd think I'd have seen it by now, I work at a theater.
March 28, 2016
classic bitchy family dramedy. some things just aren't believable but I don't care because Luke Wilson.
February 6, 2016
Weird. As the family holidays usually are...
January 6, 2016
My favorite Christmas movie
December 28, 2015
I'm a little late with the review, 10 years late. This movie wasn't all that bad. I loved all of the actors but they had terrible source material to work with. I'm extremely liberal, but they way this family treated Meredith was so bad! They were so very rude to her. Great cast, terrible material and a horrible family. I've never met a family this atrocious in real life, thank god! I always like watching this movie around the holidays because it takes me back to a great time in my life.
December 24, 2015
Family Stone isn't awful; there are some effective, family-based melodrama moments throughout. Mostly though, it's just kind of a downer. Also, can someone please explain to me the appeal of Dermot Mulroney? Other than his awesomely bonkers turn in Young Guns, he's as dry and bland as burnt toast.
December 23, 2015
Our Christmas classic
½ December 20, 2015
So wrong on so many levels ! wish that i could unsee it. Based on non healthy social relationships.
December 15, 2015
My favorite holiday movie of all time!
December 10, 2015
i love this move. it made me laugh and cry and i love all of the actors. such a good holiday drama/comedy
½ December 3, 2015
I really don't know how to pin down what was wrong with the script, except that it was rather confusing from lack of direction and overall lack of plot.

It seems as though this was adaptedfrom two scripts that were put togehter. One being a Holiday time cancer drama, and another being a "Meet the Parents" type comedy. Neither of which hits the notes it must in any genuine way.
December 1, 2015
This film was ridiculous, and not in a good way. So many characters that you never even got to know them beyond their unlike ability and implausible behaviour. The film itself was very inconsistent, was it supposed to be funny or touching? Was it supposed to be focused on Meredith and Everett or the mother? Unfortunately I cared little for either. Definitely not a heart warming holiday movie.