The Painted Veil - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Painted Veil Reviews

June 10, 2017
A bit sad and depressing, and very slow, but still pretty interesting with great acting.
½ January 2, 2017
Has a strong cast and starts well but does get pretty boring despite some nice scenery.. If the film is this dull then I won't be reading the book anytime soon.
January 1, 2017
Falls a bit flat for me. I think it's the performances of Norton and Watts that just don't bring the subtlety that the writing calls for. I didn't believe them, which kept me at a distance.
December 25, 2016
Wonderful photography! Naomi Watts and Edward Norton deliver an almost as equally wonderful performance as the photography. A touching story, yet at times not engaging enough.
December 20, 2016
The cinematography is stunning, while Watts' and Norton's outstanding performances elevate this absorbing material into a truly memorable experience, as they give shape to complex characters in an extremely engaging drama about resentment, forgiveness and love.
½ November 8, 2016
During the 1920's cholera epidemic, newly weds, Walter and Kitty Fane go to China where the outbreak is at its worst. Walter focusing on his studies as a bacteriologist, leaves Kitty feeling lonely. Suppressed by the social structure of 1920's China, Kitty resorts to helping in an orphanage to fulfill herself in ways her husband doesn't. Both Kitty and Walter, (Naomi Watts and Edward Norton) are dynamic characters with opposite intentions which makes for an enthralling love story with a mesmerizing soundtrack.
November 8, 2016
Drags in places, but still a very good movie.
November 8, 2016
4/5 Ratings for The Painted Veil
F: 74 %
R: 26 %
Romance 30% Drama 70%
½ September 13, 2016
Very romantic story in an ironic kind of way. Love developping in a background of war and disease, with the selfless doctor in an exotic country. Aaaah. Great acting, beautiful shots, nice french spicing. I have some slight issues with the depiction of locals sometimes resisting an idea they could have had themselves. Otherwise the whole thing is well thought and intelligent.
½ September 13, 2016
August 31, 2016
Masterpiece... one of my old favorites. Norton is dramatic as hell and Watts is adorable sad
August 29, 2016
This movie made me fall in love with Edward Norton.
½ August 19, 2016
Somewhat slow at the onset, "The Painted Veil" recovers nicely and captivates the viewer.
August 18, 2016
I was ,surprisingly, very pleased that I went to see this film
August 2, 2016
Watts and Norton act out their characters to perfection , with a genuineness which is rarely seen in American Cinema. The story itself , however, is too bland to warrant more then 3 stars .
July 22, 2016
Poignant & bittersweet with captivating performances and gorgeous cinematography of rural China.
July 11, 2016
Loved this film! It's an unlikely event for a broken marriage to be redeemed after an affair, but this film is so darling you will long for them to rekindle their love for one another! Very touching!
July 2, 2016
Just watched it. I rate is as Excellent!
June 27, 2016
This movie follows Edward Norton's, Walter and Naomi Watts's, Kitty to China during a Cholera outbreak.  Amidst the backdrop of suffering, it's painful to watch Walter and Kitty's silent marriage suffer as well.  As punishment for her infidelity (with handsome Liev Schreiber nonetheless) Walter drags Kitty to China where both are able to atone for their sins by helping Chinese people.  The film which allows the viewer to suffer long with Kitty and Walter does have some redeeming values.  Kitty is a dynamic character. (Fucking look it up if you can't remember high school English.)  Also, the cinematography is beautiful.  The film is set in 1925 so the costumes are simple yet beautiful.  I will admit to a tiny tear rolling down my cheek before the final London scene. I didn't feel passionate about it either way so again I will leave this up to you.
June 8, 2016
second time I saw it still mesmerized me.... great flick