The Painted Veil - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Painted Veil Reviews

½ August 19, 2016
Somewhat slow at the onset, "The Painted Veil" recovers nicely and captivates the viewer.
August 18, 2016
I was ,surprisingly, very pleased that I went to see this film
August 2, 2016
Watts and Norton act out their characters to perfection , with a genuineness which is rarely seen in American Cinema. The story itself , however, is too bland to warrant more then 3 stars .
July 22, 2016
Poignant & bittersweet with captivating performances and gorgeous cinematography of rural China.
July 11, 2016
Loved this film! It's an unlikely event for a broken marriage to be redeemed after an affair, but this film is so darling you will long for them to rekindle their love for one another! Very touching!
July 2, 2016
Just watched it. I rate is as Excellent!
June 27, 2016
This movie follows Edward Norton's, Walter and Naomi Watts's, Kitty to China during a Cholera outbreak.  Amidst the backdrop of suffering, it's painful to watch Walter and Kitty's silent marriage suffer as well.  As punishment for her infidelity (with handsome Liev Schreiber nonetheless) Walter drags Kitty to China where both are able to atone for their sins by helping Chinese people.  The film which allows the viewer to suffer long with Kitty and Walter does have some redeeming values.  Kitty is a dynamic character. (Fucking look it up if you can't remember high school English.)  Also, the cinematography is beautiful.  The film is set in 1925 so the costumes are simple yet beautiful.  I will admit to a tiny tear rolling down my cheek before the final London scene. I didn't feel passionate about it either way so again I will leave this up to you.
June 8, 2016
second time I saw it still mesmerized me.... great flick
½ May 13, 2016
5/7/16 So, we had seen this before, but Erika didn't remember it. It's not a bad character study, but it is a bit slow. Really pretty average overall, and more of a woman's movie.
March 30, 2016
Pitch perfect acting makes this bittersweet period piece work. When the popular girl is somehow thrown together with a brainy doctor, you wonder if it will ever work or will the deadly cholera epidemic hasten the plot.
March 20, 2016
Well acted, great movie
½ March 8, 2016
86%
Watched this on 7/2/16
Terrific cinematography, touching music especially in the end and measured performances from Norton and Watts help the movie break the bondage of predictability and cliched feel good drama.
½ March 5, 2016
2016-03-05 it was Shanghai, not Hong Kong!
February 4, 2016
beautiful movie, nostalgically giving a feeling of deja vu and especially with the gnosienne 1 playing in the background what a haunting experience. wonderfully adapted gnosienne 1
January 19, 2016
A movie that was under appreciated by many critics when it was released, it is certainly one of the best Anglo-European love stories in a colonial setting -- far better than the well-received "Out of Africa."
January 6, 2016
The cinematography is stunning but the outstanding performances by Watts and Norton are what elevates this honest material to a memorable experience, as they give shape to complex characters in an extremely engaging drama about resentment, forgiveness and love.
½ December 11, 2015
What a WASTE.....!!!! :((((
December 6, 2015
Action in reaction- save the pyrotechnics and enjoy the arc of emotion instead.
Robert B.
½ October 8, 2015
The Painted Veil has the ingredients of a great film, including cinematography (alternatively lush and parched) and high-caliber actors. I admired the potraiture of people as people -- complex, determined, adaptable. I would recommend it for a view on these counts alone. The film is lacking in a few respects. The plot does not drive the film but complicates it. The politics involved with the military, villagers, warlords, etc. are distracting and prevent the emotional tensions between the two main characters from playing out in the foreground. The lack of a memorable scoring contributes to the overall lack of emotional punch to the movie. Still, it is an interesting story and is visually gorgeous, so the Painted Veil is, nonetheless, worth a look.
July 21, 2015
I would've wanted for more. The development of the characters were magnificent.