Scarlet Street Reviews

• Nov 24, 2020

Pretty good Fritz Lang film with Edward G. Robinson in what might be his greatest performance

• Nov 15, 2020

A slightly above average noir with a great latter day performance from Edward G Robinson. Its charming, corny and dark at all the right moments.

Aldo G Super Reviewer
    Nov 12, 2020

I bet that Rod Serling was influenced by this dark, psychological noir by Fritz Lang. As the plot unravels the picture takes on a Twilight Zone feel. Additionally, Lang's German Expressionism is on full display by the film's last reel. Edward G. Robinson always amazes me with the breadth of his talent. Dan Duryea is his typically slimy self. And, Joan Bennett practically steals the picture.

• Nov 12, 2020

Fun film noir. Anything with Edward G. Robinson is good.

Fun film noir. Anything with Edward G. Robinson is good.

• May 13, 2020

A pitch-dark noir with many twists and turns and a deeply disturbing ending. The first viewing let's you enjoy the cleverness of the plot, but knowing the ending casts a dark pall over everything on subsequent viewings. There's a feeling of artificiality to this film, where you can tell everything was filmed on a set, but this elevates the style somehow. This is apparently a remake of Renoir's La Chienne, which I have not yet seen.

• May 04, 2020

I’m a lover of old films but this was an excruciatingly painful film that gets worse by the minute. In fact, I can’t remember if I’ve ever had a more negative reaction to a film.

• Apr 12, 2020

I liked the movie but it was just too long. It should have been edited down. There were several surprises along the way and all of the actors were very good. Also, when it comes down to it, was there really anyone prettier than Joan Bennett?

• Jan 24, 2020

1945! Very interesting film noir. & directed by FRITZ LANG! Never heard of, nor saw, until tv the movie channel January 2020. JOAN BENNETT was HOT! Robinson was reliably TOADY. And DAN DURYEA was also great.

• Aug 01, 2019

Joan Bennett 35 here, look 10 blobs younger.

Joan Bennett 35 here, look 10 blobs younger.

• Feb 02, 2019

The best gangster movie ever made!

The best gangster movie ever made!