School Daze - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

School Daze Reviews

½ June 10, 2016
Spike Lee doesn't change his rhetoric here, but he does present it more evenly.
½ April 26, 2016
Humorous look at the lives of students at a black college. Lee's semi autobiographical movie is both amusing and well executed.
½ April 26, 2016
I've only ever walked out of two movies-this was one of them. It was a huge disappointment following Spike Lee's brilliant "Do the Right Thing".
½ August 2, 2015
This movie starts so strong - a great song and an even better photo montage! And then? Yeesh. The Gamma Phis were so very, very lame, almost unwatchable. As were all the music numbers. And what was that football "game"? All together, the plot was not at all enough for an hour film, let alone a two hour one! And the ending? Good lord, was that ridiculous! I don't know if it is as hokey as the end of "He Got Game" but honestly, I hope to never see either one again. This was so lame, I won't even bother to mention what a horrible actor Spike Lee is. (whoops)

On the plus side - Fishburne and Samuel L. face to face was super tough! I could watch those two go at it all day, but in a different film!
January 28, 2015
Horrible but I liked seeing gustavo fring and Samuel Jackson
October 3, 2014
Please, wake up!

A fascinating picture about fraternities at black universities. A geeky pledge at a gamma fraternity goes through numerous initiations to join the gammas. Meanwhile, the geeky pledge's older cousin strongly disapproves of fraternities, but actually endorses his cousin pledging. There is also another sub plot about the older cousin breaking up with his girlfriend because she wants to join a sorority.

"It takes a real man to be a gamma man, because only a real man is a gamma man."

Spike Lee, director of Inside Man, She Hate me, 25th hour, Clockers, He Got Game, Girl 6, Jungle Fever, X, Do the Right Thing, She Gotta Have It, and Mo Better Blues, delivers School Daze. The storyline was interesting and worth following. I did like all of the characters and how they were portrayed. The ending was a flop. The acting was very solid and the cast includes Laurence Fishburne, Spike Lee, Giancarlo Esposito, Ossie Davis, and Joe Seneca.

"Fuck you, scrotum face!"

I generally enjoy watching Spike Lee movies. They are fairly inconsistent with some being much better than others. This is an above average film that I enjoy watching unfold. It isn't as dramatic as Higher Learning or nearly as impactful, or as funny as Animal House. In terms of quality, this is a big step down. But this is entertaining and worth a viewing.

"Roll call!"

Grade: C+
½ August 14, 2014
Some truly funny scenes and pretty entertaining song-and-dance numbers. But just too slow -- it was about half an hour too long.
March 23, 2014
This displays the very best and the most gawdawful things that Lee does in equal measures. When it's good it makes you feel like you're flying and when it's bad it makes you want to NEVER see another film.
½ February 4, 2014
Funny and uneven, this film shows Spike adapting to the Hollywood system but still trying to maintain his artistic integrity. The result is a movie that deals with a lot of the racial issues of the day, but can't decide if it wants to satirical or straightforward. Good entertainment nonetheless.
October 26, 2013
this movie looks interesting
½ August 30, 2013
I'm a little late on this one. I liked the music.
March 9, 2013
One of Spike Lee's worst films. Ultra boring.
January 14, 2013
This movie is nit very cohesive at all. The musical numbers really don't serve any purpose except to distract and maybe spoof grease to no end. However, this was done at a time where int the BLACK community all these things were relevant (and some still are). Now I am not saying that this movie can't be enjoyed by someone of a diffrent race but what I am saying is that I am tired of seeing African-American films bashed by people who can't and/or refuse to connect and fancy themselves students of film.
December 24, 2012
Love this movie, I even wrote a paper about it my freshman year of college.
December 7, 2012
Would like to get round to seeing!
½ November 10, 2012
Another SPIKE LEE must see film !
October 21, 2012
One of my fav's of all time!
October 20, 2012
Such a poignant story that every college student should see. Not to mention great music.
September 29, 2012
good movie that focused on black fraternities
September 13, 2012
black owned movie the different types of blacks skin and how we all need to stick toegther regardless if you r light skin or dark skin