Sleepaway Camp - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Sleepaway Camp Reviews

October 15, 2016
Sleepaway Camp on the face seems a pretty innocuous sort of slash-fest, it's a typical Friday The 13th knock off, with horrible acting, crappy production values, shoddy cinematography, a meandering pace, unpleasant characters and by the numbers kills.....and then the last two minutes happen, and you are left slack jawed and in a desperate need to turn the damn lights on as quickly as possible and then pick up the bits of your broken mind on the floor. Few films have ever been so validated by their final moments like this film. That last shot is one for the horror history books.
October 9, 2016
I love classic 80s horror movies.
October 8, 2016
A steaming pile of hot trash but I love it.
October 7, 2016
It's ending has gone down in history as one of the all time most infamous and shocking in all of cinema. But there's a lot more to this than that. For the gorehounds, there's plenty of gruesome kills. But there's also great acting performances from the cast, most of whom are amateurs. The kids are very realistic (unlike that OTHER famous horror movie set at a summer camp.) A must see for horror fans.
September 7, 2016
I actually personally know Johnathan Tiersten, one of the lead actors in this film personally; he was a guitarist in a band I played in. He attended a screening of Sleepaway Camp in a local film festival, and I was there. I felt bad laughing at it, but this movie is at times absurdly funny. So yes, lots of accidental narm, but this is also a genuinely good suspense movie, and the twist at the end made the audience scream in incredulity, not terror; the movie still earned a standing ovation. I actually genuinely love this film, it's a good palette cleanser for a double bad movie feature - save it for after a truly atrocious movie.
September 5, 2016
Cheesy horror but the end will deck you
September 5, 2016
What a stinking pile of delight.
½ August 31, 2016
So I finally watched sleep away camp an film that I was very interested in watching mainly because I kept hearing about it first of big thing don't read anything about the film before you watch you need to go in completely blind to get the whole effect of the film the directing is good the acting pretty good the pacing is amazing really was surprised by by it overall I really would love to go into my detail about the film but I really don't want to give anything away or give an idea of what to expect
August 14, 2016
Its a campy 80's slasher flick. Wont scare horror fans, but it's still entertaining. It will definitely go down as a classic with the likes of Friday the 13th, but the scare level is way too low for anyone looking for a real horror. One of the biggest bright spots is the ending.
July 22, 2016
A really good slasher movie that has the perfect amount of tongue-in-cheek acting, nudity and Violence.
Good twists to keep you on your toes.
July 13, 2016
I'm one of the few who prefer the sequels over the original "Sleepaway Camp".
July 2, 2016
The three main slashers to see, of the 70's and 80's, are Halloween (1978), The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (1974) and Friday the 13th (1980). But then, come a string of rather minor low budget classic slasher movies, and this one is one of them ! Sleepaway Camp is a, cliche of course, but very satisfying slasher exploitation horror movie. Indeed, in every slasher film you have some sexual elements, but in this one, there's everything from minor sex, to pedophilia and homosexuality. And although I already new about it's infamous twist ending, I still found it extremely clever and disturbing. It also has a great camp quality, and the identity of the killer is at the same time obvious, but questionable. One to see. Recommended !!
½ June 28, 2016
I'm not saying I hugely enjoyed Sleepaway Camp, but it stands above most other campy slasher flicks of the '80s, largely thanks to its shocking twist ending.
½ June 14, 2016
Do I even have to mention that this is by far, one of the greatest slashers ever made?
½ May 29, 2016
A good concept that is just a little different than other horror movies with a revealing end but is still inconclusive.
½ May 24, 2016
Sleepaway Camp has one of the most memorable endings in horror history. Unfortunately I believe the ending is really it's high point with not too much else to hold on to. The suspense that is building throughout feels uneven. Some of the kills are disturbing and grisly whereas others seem almost comical (This could just be a "me thing"). Felissa Rose is very like-able as Angela. Her wide-eyed stare, given throughout a good portion of the movie, reinforces the mysterious nature of her character. You could say the clunky tone throughout helps to bring the ending home (I would), but even at the movies short length it feels tedious building to it's shocking climax. I don't mean to bash it, this movie's ending made my skin crawl. It's a must see for the ending and a great (and unusual) orchestral score.

Always see for your self!
½ May 3, 2016
Great! Can I throw up now???
April 26, 2016
Not a fan of slasher genre, but a fan of twist endings. So , I gave it a try since everyone recommended this movie for the final twist. I must say , the ending was worth all the pain we had to undergo from the starting (overacting and clichés). 2.5* for that final scene and .5* for the movie.
½ April 15, 2016
totally boring and lame
½ March 19, 2016
The acting in this is flat out awful. However, the ending completely floored me. It is the type of movie Hollywood would never make. If you are into 80's slashers, this is a must see.