Sleepaway Camp - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Sleepaway Camp Reviews

½ March 11, 2017
This film is such an unpleasant, tasteless and for the most part an uninspired rip-off of the film Friday the 13. The only reason that this isn't given a one star is the original somewhat creative ending. But even that is a bit tasteless and overall doesn't save the movie from being undesirable in my opinion. Igive it 2 stars out of 5.
March 6, 2017
A fun cheesy 80's slasher movie! I had a general good time watching this movie. It is very entertaining, and never once boring. It keeps a good pace so script wise nothing's wrong. On the other hand the acting was fine until an actor had to be scared then it looks like they just pooped themselves in public. The filming was acceptable, and the "Famous" twist ending was a little easy to guess. One problem I have is how 80's this movie is. I know that's the time period but my goodness. It's hard to look at short-shorts all the time. So overall this movie is good with its tacky kills and good laughs. Define toy whatch it if your a horror fan!
February 28, 2017
Holy fucking shit. What an ending. Makes it all worth it.
February 18, 2017
Good tone and environment, like camps. Some funny dialogue, not scary. Ending kinda creepy, fake model
½ October 27, 2016
4.5/5 I think I just have a sweet spot for movies showing young people having fun, especially in the summer time. Throw in some awesome kills, cheesy humour and one shocker of an ending and you've got Sleepaway Camp. Unfortunately I had the ending partly spoiled for me so I didn't feel its full effect. Nevertheless, Sleepaway Camp might be one of my favourite slashers. It's a campy good time (I had to)!
October 15, 2016
Sleepaway Camp on the face seems a pretty innocuous sort of slash-fest, it's a typical Friday The 13th knock off, with horrible acting, crappy production values, shoddy cinematography, a meandering pace, unpleasant characters and by the numbers kills.....and then the last two minutes happen, and you are left slack jawed and in a desperate need to turn the damn lights on as quickly as possible and then pick up the bits of your broken mind on the floor. Few films have ever been so validated by their final moments like this film. That last shot is one for the horror history books.
October 9, 2016
I love classic 80s horror movies.
October 8, 2016
A steaming pile of hot trash but I love it.
October 7, 2016
It's ending has gone down in history as one of the all time most infamous and shocking in all of cinema. But there's a lot more to this than that. For the gorehounds, there's plenty of gruesome kills. But there's also great acting performances from the cast, most of whom are amateurs. The kids are very realistic (unlike that OTHER famous horror movie set at a summer camp.) A must see for horror fans.
September 7, 2016
I actually personally know Johnathan Tiersten, one of the lead actors in this film personally; he was a guitarist in a band I played in. He attended a screening of Sleepaway Camp in a local film festival, and I was there. I felt bad laughing at it, but this movie is at times absurdly funny. So yes, lots of accidental narm, but this is also a genuinely good suspense movie, and the twist at the end made the audience scream in incredulity, not terror; the movie still earned a standing ovation. I actually genuinely love this film, it's a good palette cleanser for a double bad movie feature - save it for after a truly atrocious movie.
September 5, 2016
Cheesy horror but the end will deck you
September 5, 2016
What a stinking pile of delight.
½ August 31, 2016
So I finally watched sleep away camp an film that I was very interested in watching mainly because I kept hearing about it first of big thing don't read anything about the film before you watch you need to go in completely blind to get the whole effect of the film the directing is good the acting pretty good the pacing is amazing really was surprised by by it overall I really would love to go into my detail about the film but I really don't want to give anything away or give an idea of what to expect
August 14, 2016
Its a campy 80's slasher flick. Wont scare horror fans, but it's still entertaining. It will definitely go down as a classic with the likes of Friday the 13th, but the scare level is way too low for anyone looking for a real horror. One of the biggest bright spots is the ending.
July 22, 2016
A really good slasher movie that has the perfect amount of tongue-in-cheek acting, nudity and Violence.
Good twists to keep you on your toes.
July 13, 2016
I'm one of the few who prefer the sequels over the original "Sleepaway Camp".
July 2, 2016
The three main slashers to see, of the 70's and 80's, are Halloween (1978), The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (1974) and Friday the 13th (1980). But then, come a string of rather minor low budget classic slasher movies, and this one is one of them ! Sleepaway Camp is a, cliche of course, but very satisfying slasher exploitation horror movie. Indeed, in every slasher film you have some sexual elements, but in this one, there's everything from minor sex, to pedophilia and homosexuality. And although I already new about it's infamous twist ending, I still found it extremely clever and disturbing. It also has a great camp quality, and the identity of the killer is at the same time obvious, but questionable. One to see. Recommended !!
½ June 28, 2016
I'm not saying I hugely enjoyed Sleepaway Camp, but it stands above most other campy slasher flicks of the '80s, largely thanks to its shocking twist ending.
½ June 14, 2016
Do I even have to mention that this is by far, one of the greatest slashers ever made?
½ May 29, 2016
A good concept that is just a little different than other horror movies with a revealing end but is still inconclusive.