Reviews

• Sep 02, 2020

It's a strange choice and a bit jarring to have the characters speak engrish, but I kind of get the creative choice to do it. Regardless, this is one of the best entries in the long line of Django films. It's a self-referential, super stylistic, fun meeting of East vs West. All the homages get me giddy as a schoolboy. After the original this is my go-to.

• Aug 08, 2020

I have no idea what the point of this movie was. Everything is so off kilter with this movie, which is clearly what the director had in mind for this project. However, at some point the "creativeness" can go overboard and the movie loses all cohesion and focus. The multiple juxtapositions involving the setting, characters and plot simply turned this movie into a cauldron of confusion, whose only coherence came in the gore. With that being all that is left, this movie mad no sense.

• Jan 23, 2020

Difficultly hearing the voices of the characters with the heavy accents but it really doesn't matter as this is a visually stunning film.

• Nov 05, 2016

Takashi Miike's mix of gore and quirky humor was appreciated in Ichi the Killer, but comes off as a miscalculation here. He is making a tribute/parody to spaghetti westerns, particularly Django/A Fistful of Dollars, with a lot of references and in-jokes to fans of the genre, but it comes off as self-gratifying and excessive, and seems more like an exercise than a film for general audiences. Miike had something of a Tarantino flair, and Quentin Tarantino makes a cameo in this movie. Tarantino's Django would be a much better film, and more fitting send-up of the Italian predecessors. There are too many characters in Sukiyaki Western Django for any one to shine (although, Masanobu Ando and Kaori Momoi had their moments). For me, the main reason this film didn't work is the strange decision to have all the Japanese actors stumble over English dialogue. This, along with the humor that seems to be trying too hard, makes Django hard to get invested in and to sit through its 98-minute runtime.

• Jul 26, 2015

Its a dumb yet really enjoyable guilty pleasure film. Its ridiculous but quite inventive in its action and cinematography.

• Apr 15, 2015

Insanity, completely bonkers, and full of pulpy goodness

Insanity, completely bonkers, and full of pulpy goodness

• Jan 15, 2015

Its so weird and wonderful. An asian spaghetti western that draws from Tarantino in more than one way :)

• Apr 24, 2014

Beautiful cinematography. That's all.

Beautiful cinematography. That's all.

• Mar 10, 2014

Turned out quite an enjoyable movie. I thought it's gonna be all weird stuff. There's that, but still in an acceptable amount. If this is what can help Tarantino do the Django Unchained, then I'll say this movie is worth an appreciation.

• Dec 26, 2013

Miike Takashi takes on the spaghetti western and wins with this visually stunning and thoroughly enjoyable romp.