Under the Cherry Moon - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Under the Cherry Moon Reviews

½ October 17, 2016
KST in her blossomy years.
This film, directed & starring the late Prince, was kinda messy however.
June 6, 2016
very entertaining...Prince was hilarious
May 28, 2016
Seen it when it first came out. Enjoyed.Never listen to critics.
, never .
½ May 6, 2016
What an odd movie, part old timey slapstick, part serious melodrama, part musical. Prince waffles between great and terrible and there's a really weird homoerotic undertone. But there are some great parts mixed in with the bad.
April 27, 2016
Not for everyone. This movie was jarring after the epic first movie came out but it still is enjoyable. Don't expect Purple Rain 2 though...
½ April 21, 2016
Prince is just so goddamn charming. This movie is a great mix of Purple Rain and A Hard Day's Night- full of charm, great music and a great sense of humor. I also loved Prince wearing his influences on his sleeve in this film, from the obvious Hard Days Night references (heck, Victor Spinetti is even IN the movie) to the Casablanca settings, to his amazing Rococo 80s outfits. My only complaint is I wish it had been in color, but only because Prince is so vibrant it feels like you're missing a huge piece of who he is in black and white.
½ August 3, 2015
I imagine if I went and looked up "vanity project" on the internet the first link would be Under the Cherry Moon. I mean Prince created a film that he stars in, performs the music for, and directs. In it he plays an allegedly talented and handsome man who every single character seems to be attracted to except for old men. So he's successful in life and love and yet he also is the rough guy from the other side of the tracks who can get offended when a rich girl isn't instantly in love with him? Yes, he allows himself to have it both ways in this film. He even manages to find a script that gives him hundreds of extremely awful kisses with Kristin Scott Thomas. I have never squirmed in my seat so much from watching 2 people kiss. Thomas could not look less attracted to Prince. In fact, the story might have worked better if Jerome Benton played the love interest because those 2 guys had better chemistry than Kristin Scott Thomas had with anyone in this movie. I've never seen an actress stick out so awkwardly and give me that feeling that she just didn't want to be there as much as KST in this film. I'm not going to waste time detailing all the many failures in Under the Cherry Moon, because they are too countless to name. There is no good acting, no good dialogue, the music doesn't fit the scenes, the comedy is a failure, and they even filmed it in pretentious black-and-white as if it was attempting some old Hollywood vibe. The only redeeming quality is that there were a couple of moments where I laughed at how awful the film was, but unintentional comedy doesn't win any points from me and didn't stop me from wanting to turn the movie off more than once. Under the Cherry Moon is possibly the worst movie I've ever seen.
March 15, 2015
I LOVE this movie. Prince, I had a dream about you again two night ago. When are you going to fly through my window on your magic carpet and ask me to marry you?
What? You thought I was going to ask you? Nope. I'm still a lady, lmao!
½ August 15, 2014
It's not Prince's worst movie, but it's certainly incompetent. The comedy is misplaced and the romance is just plain goofy. However, the film does set up an atmosphere that, I must admit, I didn't dislike.
June 20, 2014
Bad, but funny bad. I couldn't resist laughing out loud at some times. "CABBAGEHEAD!" Comedy gold. Just like Plan 9 from Outer Space.
½ June 15, 2014
Great soundtrack...the movie is for Prince fanatics ONLY.
½ June 9, 2014
I've gone on record liking this movie. Gonna have that record expunged, til I change my mind, again.
April 23, 2014
Swooningly silly. I know it's junk but I just can't resist it's siren's song.
November 24, 2013
MY FAVORITE PRINCE MOVIE
September 26, 2013
A stale and unexciting vanity project for Prince.
August 17, 2013
Get the original soundtrack album;but forget this movie!
July 31, 2013
My Favorite Film Is 1941's Citizen Kane.
April 8, 2013
my favorite movie of all time
December 7, 2012
Would like to see at some stage.
December 6, 2012
This movie was very funny, I would have rated it lower if it didn't keep making me laugh. Prince normally seems to have a very serious personality with his music, so it's refreshing, surprising and funny to see him joking around. This was also a good movie considering that he directed it too, it's not easy to do both, especially when you're not actually a professional film director. The sets and cinematography are beautiful too, they're in tune with his music. The one thing I would like to say I didn't expect, was the ending. I wasn't sure whether it was the right kind of ending or not. On one hand it was realistic, but on the other hand, it feels like a let down. But overall I liked it.