Restraint - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Restraint Reviews

December 1, 2015
Decent movie. Worth a watch. Good, not great, thriller. It really is about three characters.
November 13, 2015
love this movie! seen it so many times! Travis fimmel is brilliant!! x
November 1, 2015
Travis Fimmel is fucking perfect in this! Rock star performance!
½ September 20, 2015
good twisty thriller
January 2, 2015
Not the best thriller i have seen but still a decent B movie. Story follows a hostage drama in Australia. Unknown actors to me but fair acting i thought.
½ June 28, 2014
Weird Psycho Drama...
½ June 25, 2014
I liked this Aussie thriller even though I saw the end coming from far away.
May 26, 2014
I found myself like most, rooting for the good guy but I could see how some would hate the ending. Let's just say it gets you rethinking about expectations we have but movies don't always portray good and bad guys with the way they can be in real life. Before you immediately decide how you feel about the ending... don't think of it as just a twisted turn for the sake of a reaction. I think of it as realistic and that certain kinds of men shouldn't be used so often as a savior for a woman in cinema. I possibly thought too much of it... but honestly my first reaction was,"What, are you kidding me??" and then changed to,"Well the expected ending would have tied things up but then would be cheesy and following most movie formulas..."
½ May 16, 2014
A rather contrived Australian psychological thriller, that has a few good moments, but is very uneven, and overall, rather poor.
September 11, 2013
Interesting dark and edgy, very good effort--A nice little thriller!!
July 3, 2013
Very enjoyable and unpredictable plot. Great acting all around. Stephen Moyer is amazing as the seemingly innocuous hostage who manages to turn the tables on his kidnappers. Teresa Palmer walked a thin line between low class criminal and a woman attracted to her hostage. The feeling is returd by Moyer's character but with a sick and interesting end.
½ December 31, 2012
'Restraint' is an Australian movie, filmed on location in New South Wales. As a thriller, especially given its most likely limited budget, it more than serves up a fascinating film that I would recommend if you're after a bit of a scare and some suspense.

The movie is based around three characters - Ron & Dale (who are "on the run" from the law) and Andrew (their would-be hostage). Teresa Palmer is the most well known of the cast, and you can see why she is expected to be a fine Australian actor in the years to come.

I would say each of the three main performances are good, to very good. This movie kept me interested and whilst you're not meant to "believe" the events that unfold, it's not totally unrealistic either.

The ending of the movie is also not what you'd expect, which only adds to the reasons for recommending it if you're looking for a good suspense/thriller film.
½ August 5, 2012
Awkward... Defiantly got that foreign made film feeling. Really weird. Never again!!
August 1, 2012
I got a kick from thick Aussie accents and slang, but aside from that... well this thriller wasn't that much thrilling despite good reviews. The story is pretty good and all the ingredients are certainly there, but the first-time director doesn't seem to have a good sense of timing or how to maintain suspense.
July 17, 2012
A well-crafted Australian made thriller.
½ June 3, 2012
A potential power reciprocal, underdog fighting back genre but which was so typically & boringly executed.
½ March 11, 2012
Just when I thought I figured the plot out it flipped the script on me. That Teresa Palmer is scorching hot also.
February 25, 2012
Not too bad, kept you guessing.
February 5, 2012
interesting movie with a decent plot and some expected and unexpected twists.
January 23, 2012
More than a thriller. Great characterization and acting all around.