Orphan - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Orphan Reviews

June 17, 2017
This was really an amazing horror movie! I usually don't like horror movies but this one was really, really good !
June 7, 2017
One of the dumbest twist endings in the history of cinema.
June 5, 2017
Didn't see the twist coming
March 30, 2017
Wow! What a movie. 10/10.
½ March 17, 2017
Orphan is about an orphaned girl named Esther who has a very hard time fitting in with any family she is with and every foster home she stays in, until a family who has just recently lost their child decide to adopt a new child to fill in the void. Everything seems perfect for the family, until Esther starts showing some strange habits, such as playing the piano like an actual pianist, even though she started learning only three days ago, sudden intelligence, and same very mean habits. This movie is one of the best psychological thrillers I have ever seen, it scary, thrilling, confusing, and dark. It has a very interesting story line and and a great build up to the final act of the movie, the only problems I have with this movie are a few continuity errors, plot holes, and some off acting at times. It also had a few scenes when the characters in the movie can make you get agitated with them for either being idiots or some of the things they say, but all an all, this is a very good psychological thriller that in my opinion, is very underrated.
½ March 10, 2017
'The Orphan' could have been a really good quasi-horror thriller, if not for the nonsensical plot and the preposterous chain of events that go from one illogical scene to the next. It's begins well, but worsens (with increasing momentum) as the story unfolds. On the positives, the acting is fairly solid all round, especially from the (then) 12 year old girl who played Esther. There nothing particularly wrong with the script, either. Or the competent directing from Collet-Serra. It really is just the boneheaded story that lets it all down. Sadly, there's a good film in here somewhere, but it's not enough. 2.5*/5
February 8, 2017
One off my best ever horror movie off all time
January 29, 2017
A gripping film with an unexpected plot. A lot of suspense and i would really recommend this film for anyone who enjoys a good creepy thriller.
January 18, 2017
Well acted, with a strong script, an organized screenplay and interesting story.
½ January 15, 2017
A damn good horror movie, one of the best ones to come out in a long while. Everything was done well - the writing, the directing, the acting, the editing, and the film has a very realistic quality to it, while still being the kind of movie you shout at the screen with friends at a theater. And I don't know who this actress is who plays this girl, but she has nutso acting-chops. If you want a good, f***ed up horror movie to go see, look no further.
December 20, 2016
I hope I don't develop any brain damage after watching this awful piece of crap that goes for every single ridiculous cliché of horror movies: from stupid scares even when there is nothing to be afraid of to the most irritating idiocy of nobody ever believing the main character.
½ November 25, 2016
Just for the twist !!
October 30, 2016
Starts out promising and has quite the climactic twist, but "Orphan" completely stumbles after that, and hits nearly every thriller cliche on the way down.
October 7, 2016
This movie was legitimately messed up. By the end my jaw was dropped. One of my favorite horror movies!
jamrcla
July 28, 2016
A film that would of been pretty poor if it didn't have quite an interesting twist at the end but still pretty average film that's more mystery than horror.
July 28, 2016
This was a very entertaining, enjoyable and well-made horror film. In saying that, there WERE three distinct flaws that came to mind: One, I'm not sure a marriage THAT troubled would be allowed to adopt a child; two, I don't see how ANYONE as intelligent as that pair are proposed to be would ever adopt anyone without having the necessary background information; and three, being a parent myself, there's no way on God's green earth that I would have continued the social experiment of the orphan's adoption the very first moment that something bizarre happened, or that things went awry.

Keeping my aforementioned small problems with the film's plot problems in mind, I still greatly enjoyed the film and it was highly enjoyable throughout. I particularly enjoyed the troubled artwork of the orphan in question (shown in neon, only when ultraviolet light was presented).

½ July 20, 2016
It has a talented cast and a decent twist but I've always felt this one was a failure because it could've been so much better.
July 1, 2016
This is not to be seen as a horror film but as a thriller film. Orphan offers some interesting moments throughout the film, very few scares, interesting strong, and the almost-too-good cast performances.