Flash Gordon - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Flash Gordon Reviews

July 5, 2017
Flash Gordon (1980) C-111m. ??? D: Mike Hodges. Sam J. Jones, Melody Anderson, Max von Sydow, Topol, Ornella Muti, Timothy Dalton. Exciting, entertaining update of comics about villainous Ming the Merciless about to destroy earth, but not before earthlings land aboard his spaceship. . . lots of trouble begins for our heros, leading to death match between Flash Gordon and Prince Barin Dalton that will have you at the edge of your seat! Simple storyline enhanced by wonderful production design (check out those costumes!), refreshing humor, space operatic rock score by Queen. Great fun. Supporting cast is another asset.
½ June 24, 2017
Apart from it's surrealism, Flash Gordon is a fun science-fiction movie with amazing sets and colourful characters that sells the audience imagination!
½ April 28, 2017
This is a film I watched when I was younger and had the chance to watch on the big screen tonight. The cast is amazing and the campy quality is over the top to 11. The film is intentionally hilarious and very unintentionally hilarious, this review may sound mixed but the film plays at a very odd pacing. I laughed the whole way through and while the filmmakers weren't going for slapstick, the film works only because of this out there creation. A film that never answers the questions but is 100 percent entertaining. 29/04/2017.
½ March 2, 2017
So, so much worse than I remembered, I mean I get that it's all tongue in cheek and they are well aware of the ridiculousness...but it's still shit. Von Sydow must have been paid enough for a condo in Hawaii to appear in this dirge.
February 23, 2017
A strange blend of impressive visuals, campy characters and cheesy B-grade special effects makes for a very entertaining (tongue in cheek) movie!
November 2, 2016
Genial para la poca
September 24, 2016
Bright, colourful and a bit camp, but perfectly tongue in cheek escapism for 90 mins. Gordon's alive!
September 21, 2016
Oh wow! Cheese galore! "Flash I love you but we've only got 14 hours to save the earth!"
September 17, 2016
Fun, funny, bizarre and often perverse, Flash Gordon is like a post-Star Wars hallucination that nonetheless stays surprisingly faithful to the Buster Crabbe serials. Written by the creator of the 1966 Batman TV series with production design and costumes by Pasolini's frequent collaborator, a soundtrack by Queen and sizeable roles for Max von Sydow, Timothy Dalton, Brian Blessed and Haim Topol, this is really hard to beat when it comes to camp sci-fi fun. It knows exactly what it is and embraces it so fully that it's hard not to be transfixed.
½ August 14, 2016
A very colourful movie with some pretty awful green screen work, yet a movie that fully embraces the fact that it's a total cheesefest and just gets on with the job of entertaining. Somehow it all kinda works and the music certainly plays its part in that.
½ August 6, 2016
OMG campy, I love it, seeing a young kingsley shacklebolt and no no bond that young is just fun
July 25, 2016
ma favourite film of all time.
July 19, 2016
Legendary cult movie is so bad it's fucking great, one of those cinematic experiments that happen once in life, no blockbuster with both CGI could overcome this visual delight.
½ June 29, 2016
Iconic rock-band Queen makes this sci-fi campiness work as well as deLaurentes' very dry, often missed humor and over-the-top sets.
June 1, 2016
A gloriously tacky but fun Sci-Fi Action film based on the incredibly successful Flash Gordon a theatrical serial from 1936.

The story of all American Jock kidnapped by a mad scientist to become a savior of earth. The film is just fun & has pretty good visual effects for 1979/80.

The costumes are crazy & the look of the film is bizarre but it has an awesome soundtrack donated by Queen. It's camp but no doubt will appeal to many which it did & has become a cult hit in its own right these days.
May 13, 2016
Flash is played by a very unappealing actor but the effects and costumes are awesome
April 17, 2016
The king of camp filmmaking!
April 14, 2016
Seeing this movie in a theater was a turning point in my 8-year-old life. The soundtrack, the eyeballs oozing out, the dare-you-to-stick-your-hand-in-the-hole-where-the weird scorpion-thing dwells, the epic final flight scene... Amaze-balls!
April 12, 2016
Flash Gordon is a weird 80s superhero action movie based around a quarterback turned galaxy saver.
April 7, 2016
Who are we kidding here? This movie was shit. Star Wars came out 3 years before this and looks 500x better... The only reason this movie gets any credit is because of Queen doing the music...