The Four Seasons - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Four Seasons Reviews

½ December 27, 2014
Extremely underrated movie. Fabulous cast and storyline.
½ August 23, 2014
Although the cast is magnificent and the settings beautiful, a lifeless, pointless and shallow script sink what could have been a more mature look at adulthood.
½ November 15, 2013
"are we having fun yet". that quote is this films lasting legacy and while its good i am not sure why it stuck. This movie feels a lot like a woddy allen movie with adifferentsense of humor. Its also probably meant for someone a little older then me.
November 2, 2013
I grew up watching this movie and still enjoy it. A simple, feel good film. Period.
July 30, 2013
I watched The Four Seasons as an avid movie buff kid, and decided to watch it again only recently, as I remembered enjoying it. The first fifteen minutes are overstuffed with middle age couples laughing hysterically and Alan Alda chewing with his mouth open, which is annoying as hell, as if the characters are forced upon the viewer as lovable, but it actually continues as a engaging story about a year in the life of three couples, one of which is going through a divorce, one is a bit older and features a hypochondriac, while Alda and Burnett play the moral authority of the group. Sandy starts as the weirdo of the group, and when she's replaced by Len with a much younger Bess, the rest of the group have to accept the new girl, which isn't easy. That's the whole premise. It's a slice of life, with real people going through real issues, and they're portrayed by real actors. That's how this movie's aged: the characters look their age, without Botox or porcelain veneers (despite the movie's most recent cover design), they don't look perfect, they just look real. And that's why this was easy to watch. Although, it would be best to watch it while working on something, or on a weekend morning or afternoon, otherwise you might stop it after the first twenty minutes or so. It's in the same category as The Big Chill. Hollywood doesn't make movies like this anymore, whatever is similar is labeled as 'indie' and doesn't get decent theatrical distribution.
November 4, 2012
One of the most outstanding movies that Allen Alda and Carol Burnett ever made
July 2, 2012
Charming and delightful as several couples who vacation together realize that everything changes. The cast is outstanding!
½ June 24, 2012
Love the script and cast. Pleasant film to watch any time.
May 27, 2012
I found this film very interesting. I like Ren...she is my fav. I watch this film with my friends all the time its the best. Love Alex Horsley.
½ November 13, 2011
LOVE Alan Alda and how he can make this movie yet it never grows old... the discussions and deep thoughts in this movie as well as the comic relief is wonderful! A True classic
June 5, 2011
Two hours of uninteresting people screaming about pointless/mindless bullshit. The real disappointing thing about this is that I know Alan Alda has written better stuff and was capable of something much, much better.
April 29, 2011
ew what a gross poster.
½ March 4, 2011
This is one of those movies that appears so casual that it comes off as lightweight, yet upon further examination it becomes a rich and satisfying portrayal of friendship that ranks among the best films ever made. The ensemble cast is so delicious that it hardly seems like they are acting.
March 1, 2011
A fairly decent movie. I love Carol Burnett but she couldn't really show her comedic talents in this one, due to Alan Alda writing her limited dialogue. I gave it 3 stars because i feel like the ending could've been better & although it was made in 1981, a sex scene between two of the characters would've been hilarious. I don't want to spoil it, but there were points when the movie was slow & could've picked up faster if some scenes were put in that weren't included.
February 26, 2011
an oldie but a goodie, one of my favorites!!
November 10, 2010
We all know that sinking feeling that comes as a friendship disintegrates. You're laughing and talking and then suddenly, you find yourselves irritatingly each other, in ways both merely irksome and genuinely hurtful. It's a feeling as inevitable as the changing of seasons.

How fitting then that "The Four Seasons" devotes itself entirely to that feeling. Alan Alda (who also occupies the director's chair) plays Jack, the center of a gang of friends who traditionally spend vacations together. But through spring, summer, fall, and winter, things change. Someone gets divorced; someone else grows increasingly angsty; and a younger member of the group is made to feel unwelcome, solely because of her newness to the posse. In the end, tensions rise so high that Jack unleashes a burst of destructive violence, leading to a chaotic conclusion that is at once cathartic and dementedly joyous.

By all means, this is a bitter pill to swallow. But as director, Mr. Alda helps it go down easily by inviting us to actually like these venomous characters. We moan over their mistakes, even as we know that put in the same position, our actions would be similar. Whether its flirting trecherously (and hopelessly) or shoot a friend down when they've opened up to us, we've all made some of the mistakes here. And what an interesting manner they are presented in--setting each act in a specific season grants the film a clear dramatic arc, yet a wonderfully intimate atmosphere.

There is only one thing I regret--the ending. I have no problem with happily ever after, but the clash between the characters is so verbally murderous that seeing them singing in a jolly fashion seems like a dishonest coda. But perhaps that is the point--troubles are always lurking beneath the surface, and are rarely admitted to.
August 6, 2010
Above average comedy/drama.
July 12, 2010
Very talky - and sadly, loses the considerable talents of Sandy Dennis early on when one of the men goes through a divorce, but it's an interesting 70s film. Carol Burnett and Alan Alda are perfect together, Rita Moreno and Jack Weston are perfect as the best friends. Both the girls visited at college are Alan Alda's daughters.
½ May 9, 2010
Alan Alda's best directorial effort. A breezingly light examination of the relationship of three couples, told through four vacations they take together over the spring, summer, fall, and winter. During those trips, the couples examine their lives, careers and marriages. But Alda smartly doesn't go heavy handed with this. It's a comedy, and he engages us with their comic misadventures during each of these trips. The most successfully presented and funniest is Summer. A yacht excursion in the Bahamas, where sea sickness, nude swimming, and the introduction of new spouse, the stunningly hot Bess Armstong in a white bikini, provide most of the laughs. Film loses momentum towards the end during the Winter sequence, but the overall good will and charm makes you forgive this lull.
April 13, 2010
It was actually a good film..."