The Odd Couple - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Odd Couple Reviews

August 9, 2016
Funniest movie of all time.
July 13, 2016
Witty dialogues coupled with situational comedy and throw in a rye sense of humour, this movie is a winner. It is charming, laugh out loud and doesn't have a useless side plot of romance thrown in. A must watch!
February 28, 2016
A very popular comedy that spawned many sequels, including a long running TV show, plays and various modernized alterations, as well as many other pairings for the main actors Lemmon and Mathau. Those two certainly played off each other extremely well and this might have been their best teaming up. The original film still works and now has a nostalgic snapshot of the past vibe which adds even more.
½ January 30, 2016
The original opposite comedy/buddy comedy that has since become a very familiar TV and movie trope. Jack Lemmon and Walter Matthau are absolutely one of the best onscreen comedy teams of all time and are both wonderful in the film together, but at the same time this film should have been a whole lot funnier. I seem to remember reading that Billy Wilder was approach to write and direct the film adaptation of the Neil Simon play, and I am convinced that film would have been a classic. Instead, this story that answers the question, can two divorced men share an apartment without driving each other crazy? Wilder apparently did not take part in this film over the studio not wanting to pay his salary, but his touch of madcap comedy and sentimentality is what this film really needed. Neil Simon adapted his own play for the screen, but the film does still feel stagey and the film seemed oddly paced. Despite it's faults, Matthau and Lemmon shine and do make this film something of a minor classic.
½ January 29, 2016
The Odd Couple is a dramedy about Felix who got dumped by his wife and his best friend decides to let him live in his apartment. The story is an interesting one be chase of how different the two are from each other and how they slowly get more frustrated. Jack Lemmon and Walter Matthau play good opposites of each other and I thought they really pulled off good performances. There wasn't any way that I could get mad at the characters when they fought because they are simply just different people and that's understandable. The side characters were fun like the poker group and the pigeon twins even though they were a bit annoying at times. Their fights were pretty funny and enjoyable but as the movie got towards the end it got kinda bitter. I thought maybe that it was the falling action after their main argument. It never really did get any chipper than the first 3/4s of the movie. The ending was kinda bittersweet the way they joked with each other but I just wanted a bit of a happier ending. The Odd Couple was a funny dramedy. Lemmon and Matthau were great and had good chemistry. The ending was a bit of a disappointment but I liked the first half a lot. B
½ January 20, 2016
The boys are at again.
½ January 17, 2016
i liked alot more when i first saw it but repeated viewings way too many repeated viewings has left a bad taste in my mouth that is hard to wash away
January 9, 2016
One of my new favorites
January 3, 2016
Okay I know I used for a lot of other reviews but This movie is very simple two complete opposite have to deal with living with each why does it work so much well it is written by the great Neil Simon and second its jack lemon and Walter Matthau to actors that work perfectly it maybe be simple humour but I love it for the characters one of best comedy's I ever scene
December 29, 2015
It is a delightful comedy of friendship, solidified in mutual affection yet explosive in domestic habits.
December 28, 2015
I haven't seen this movie in ages. Cindy and laughed our rears off. Mathau and Lennon what more do you want.
½ September 5, 2015
The best movie from this duo and just as entertaining and funny today as the first time I saw it when I was but a pup.,,,,how many movies can you say that about?
½ August 14, 2015
The Odd Couple is a wonderful comedy filled with many hilarious parts that bring a smile to your face, it is also very charming and heartwarming, the dialogue is excellent and the acting is just phenomenal with both Jack Lemmon and Walter Matthau giving powerhouse performances. The directing is nothing special and the beginning is slow, but this is still a superb film that benefits from excellent acting and really likable and well developed characters. It is also sweet and funny, but always engaging and just fun.
June 27, 2015
Quite possibly the greatest comedy film of all time.
½ June 7, 2015
A rich dark comedy with great chemistry between its leads.
June 3, 2015
An extremely funny comedy that modern Hollywood comedy owes all its stripes to. 8/10.
May 25, 2015
Atmospheric, funny classic. Another Jack Lemmon treat.
½ May 15, 2015
What the heck was this?
April 18, 2015
80% on my Tomatometer.
½ April 18, 2015
All'inizio volevo completamente spegnere la tv, poi in realtą il film vira su battute pił interessanti e la storia della coppia (qua di amici ma potrebbe essere benissimo marito e moglie) si evolve diventando pił interessante. Rispetto ad altri film dell'epoca rimane comunque qualche spanna sotto e non basta la famosa coppia di attori e comici a salvarlo.