Running Scared - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Running Scared Reviews

April 23, 2016
decent...watched cause of bc
April 11, 2016
Not bad quite enjoyed this film
March 27, 2016
I remember it being much funnier, but the chemistry between Hines and Crystal is more than enough to carry the movie.
February 7, 2016
Two Chicago cops try to nail the hopeful new city drug lord. Crystal and Hines make a decent team in this buddy cop film. I'm somewhat surprised this never yielded a sequel.
½ October 6, 2015
For some reason I was of the belief that the 2006 film Running Scared was a remake of this film. It's NOT, but it is a funny story about childish cold in Chicago.
July 16, 2015
Leans heavy on an audience that knows the tropes of the genre, so I imagine the first 30 minutes are easy to get lost in but overall this is a pretty great comedy.

My largest reservation with Running Scared was the odd sidebar halfway through in miami which more than outstays it's welcome.
½ February 13, 2015
Two Chicago cops come out of retirement to catch a bad guy in this cliche buddy cop flick.
½ January 16, 2015
As much as I like both Gregory Hines and Billy Crystal, this movie just did not work very well for me. The plot was boring and I could not really find reason to care about anyone in the movie. Also, this was no where near as funny as it should have been.
November 23, 2014
Surprisingly this movie was a decent 80's buddy cop flick. Filled with clichés and somewhat bad dialogue, this action comedy still manages to get a few laughs and again some surprisingly well done action sequences. Familiar faces pop up from time to time and its interesting to see a young Billy Crystal. I really haven't seen him in anything before City Slickers so it was interesting just for that alone. This is definitely 80's cheese but it works overall and is worth at least watching once.
½ September 30, 2014
No it didn't reinvent the Cop Movie Wheel but it did cast two people who no one else would cast as cops. A brilliant move. Gregory Hines and Billy Crystal's chemistry turns in a by the numbers place buddy cop movie into one enjoyable good time. Young Jimmy Smits is pretty cool as the bad guy as well.
September 22, 2014
It's a kind of buddy cop film where there'll be a sequel, but what makes this unique is that you get the feeling there is one when there isn't. It's good by its genre with many same traits, and funny with the help of Crystal. (B+)

(Full review coming soon - with better wording)
July 25, 2014
One of the best buddy movies ever.!
June 5, 2014
I still enjoy this classic as much as the first time, almost 30 years ago.
February 22, 2014
A typical buddy cop movie starring Billy Crystal and Gregory Hines on their last mission to stop Jimmy Smits. It is pretty much par for the course for the genre, but it is still enjoyable and has a few good moments to prevent it from being too derivative.
February 8, 2014
During the '80's, buddy cop movies were all the rage and "Running Scared" was always one of my favorites due to its perfect mix of action and comedy. There's nothing even remotely special about the story, a spectacularly routine one about two cops trying to nab a rising drug lord in the Windy City, but the great chemistry between the two leads, smart dialogue and assured direction are what make this such a treat.

Billy Crystal seems an unlikely choice to play a street smart detective, but he's surprisingly good in the role and the relationship he has with co-star Gregory Hines is the real draw here. Their humor and one-liners are funny and fit in with the tone the picture maintains. It never feels jokey or too clever, and that makes up for the screenplay's other shortcomings which include a lot of police movie cliches. It even resorts to the girlfriend being kidnapped, resulting in a dopey exchange.

The plus with that is that it does give us the film's single best action sequence, a spectacular shoot-out in Chicago's State of Illinois Center. Peter Hyams is a reliable director when it comes to action films, and this is no exception. That scene and the various car and foot chases are well filmed and exciting. Couple that with the fine lead performances, clever dialogue and wonderfully '80's soundtrack, and it's easy to see why "Running Scared" is such an enjoyable movie. The energy level is high enough to help you overlook the simple plot and overused, predictable plot devices.
½ January 6, 2014
Relentlessly competent in a TBS Saturday afternoon kind of way.
December 13, 2013
Basically fell asleep
December 2, 2013
A great buddy cop duo with Hines and Crystal. This should have got sequels!!!
December 1, 2013
Despite its cliched plot, Running Scared is still fun end entertaining due to its charismatic leads.
November 15, 2013
i wanted to like it, I tried to like it, I however could not fake it. Just couldnt bring myself to care.